House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sparko

Son Gets Broken Arm In School Drama Class

Today my son wash rushed to hospital. He is now having surgery. Both bones in his forearm snapped.

Apparently his drama teacher asked half the class to lay on a table and pretend to be asleep. whilst their class partners drag them off the table. My sons partner was somewhat heavy handed.

Would this be classed as negligent supervision? I have to question the teachers risk assessment of this bewildering lesson on dramatics.

I need advice on how to make an official complaint to the school. And whether I should consider seeking the advice of a lawyer regarding compensation for my son. Second broken arm at school in a year. Btw.

Can't comment on legality, sounds a bloody stupid 'lesson' though.

Lie on (presumably elevated) tabletop, get pulled off, drop, what can go wrong..

Not sure how thats dramatic, a lesson, or risk assessed at all.

Hope your son is ok.

Can't comment on legality, sounds a bloody stupid 'lesson' though.

Lie on (presumably elevated) tabletop, get pulled off, drop, what can go wrong..

Not sure how thats dramatic, a lesson, or risk assessed at all.

Hope your son is ok.

Pretty bl**dy dramatic breaking your arm ;)

I'd be worried about a broken back or neck, dragging them off the table. As you said 'what can go wrong ...'

OP - Hope your son recovers quickly.

Shit happens. Not great but these things are not uncommon. Teachers performing 'risk assessments' are the problem not the solution. IMO

Fricking heck.

Sounds about as insane as it gets.

Arm is a lot better to break than a leg or neck though.

Ow. Poor lad. GWS.

You could deal with it without going for compo though.

Is it a newbie teacher?

(Doesn't matter who dragged him off the table, the exercise is inherently dangerous.)

Sounds like a trust building exercise.. I think in drama you learn to trust the people you are working with so you don't feel uncomfortable when you are prancing around like girls.

Usually you would be blind folded and led around by a partner.. you have to trust them not to walk you into a brick wall. Or they stand behind you and you have to fall back and let them catch you. In this case it sounds like they had to trust someone to gently pull them from a table and lower then to the ground. Sounds like matey's partner decided to play a trick on your little man by deliberately pulling him as quick as he could.

Personally I'd want to break his 'friends' legs.. but in reality I'd probably insist that if they want to do this exercise in future they should lay down crash mats so some little scrote can't try to break his mate's arms. I would also insist if this was the case that his 'friend' gets punished appropriately.

My first thought - second broken bone in a year? Rickets?

I would go to my GP ASAP and explain what has happened. For my first reaction was whether he has weakened bones due to a lack of either calcium/magnesium or Vitamin D3 or both which results in rickets and weakened bones that break easily. Does your son have even the slightest bow in his legs?

Do you keep him out of the sun? Do you cover him in sunscreen when he goes out in the sun so that he has little or no chance to get Vitamin D3 - without D3 from the sun bones cannot absorb calcium and hence the above.

So that is my first thought.

My second thought is that this is the kind of thing that used to happen in school when I was a kid in the 70s, you went to hospital, Mum or Dad came and picked you up and no one thought about suing anyone.

Nowadays of course, kids are not allowed to have accidents and every parent immediately looks for someone to blame and then usually someone to sue.

When I think of the stupid things teachers made us do in the 70s I am amazed how the class made it to 15.

But what you write sounds very scary - lying on a table, pretending to be asleep and then dragged off the table by another child. How high was the table? How old are the children? How would the children pretending to be asleep have protected themselves in a fall? Surely the children dragging the other children off the table have no real conception of safety - what if those children had fallen on their heads and a skull, rather than arm bones, was fractured? (Breaking any major bone is pretty serious.) What if there was a skull hitting the ground and an internal bleed occurred? That could have been life-threatening.

There are lots of ifs and buts here that you really need to talk about with your family GP and also with a good solicitor. You also need to talk to the school.

Be careful of talking to anyone in the school if you are present by yourself and two or more school staff are present.

The school have a duty of care to your child - as I type this I am still shocked at the idea of one child being told to pretend to be asleep whilst another drags him off a table. What on earth were they doing this for?

I am no lawyer and I am no doctor. I would definitely go to my GP and ask the GP to think about any other reasons why your son might have broken his arm twice in a year. Your GP might wish to run a few tests.

I broke my index finger on my right hand in the cubs in the early 1970s in a wheel-barrow race - is it too late to sue?

Hope your son recovers soon.

Sounds like a trust building exercise.. I think in drama you learn to trust the people you are working with so you don't feel uncomfortable when you are prancing around like girls.

Usually you would be blind folded and led around by a partner.. you have to trust them not to walk you into a brick wall. Or they stand behind you and you have to fall back and let them catch you. In this case it sounds like they had to trust someone to gently pull them from a table and lower then to the ground. Sounds like matey's partner decided to play a trick on your little man by deliberately pulling him as quick as he could.

Personally I'd want to break his 'friends' legs.. but in reality I'd probably insist that if they want to do this exercise in future they should lay down crash mats so some little scrote can't try to break his mate's arms. I would also insist if this was the case that his 'friend' gets punished appropriately.

...prancing around like girls... you would be blind folded and led around by a partner.. play a trick on your little man by deliberately pulling him as quick as he could... his 'friend' gets punished appropriately...

What kind of school did you go to? :blink:

...prancing around like girls... you would be blind folded and led around by a partner.. play a trick on your little man by deliberately pulling him as quick as he could... his 'friend' gets punished appropriately...

What kind of school did you go to? :blink:

Jealous much :P

@ OP.. if you're just fishing for some compensation money speak to a no-win-no-fee shark

Definitely inquire with your GP as to your son's health (e.g. is he more prone to breakages than other kids?).

Also, what a STUPID exercise. If I HAD a kid I'd be right down there - what a STUPID thing to do!!

What a STUPID thing to do!!

Problem is there has to be an element of risk in any trust building exercise, otherwise you wouldn't need to trust the other person.

Sounds like this might be the last drama lesson at this particular school though.

Definitely inquire with your GP as to your son's health (e.g. is he more prone to breakages than other kids?).

Also, what a STUPID exercise. If I HAD a kid I'd be right down there - what a STUPID thing to do!!

Thanks for your concerns and advice.

Compensation not important to be honest.

I am just bloody angry and stressed out at the moment. Shit does happen.

Rough school.

My boy broke his arm on two seperate occasions over the course of a year. First was an accident from going over on a space hopper and 2nd time was bouncing off a bouncy castle and landing between the safety mats... The bouncy castle one was a bad one.. Both bones above the wrist snapped. He is fine now.... Shit happens.. Your son will be fine. Get him checked if you are over concerned.

I would imagine the kid that yanked him from the table will be suffering a huge dose of guilt.. The teacher and the powers to be at the school will be shitting themselves.

Concentrate on getting your son mended. No rash decisions... Any conversations/action should be taken when you are less emotional..

I would be as fuming as you are.

Hope the recovery is swift....

Get your point, libspreio, but pulling somebody off a table...? Think we did something similar at scholl yonks ago, we had to fall back into somebody's arms. At least then you're on your feet.

I went to a rough school, too. My oarents were very strict about who I 'mucked around with'. Thought it was severe at the time but it really paid off and I'm grateful to them. Rough school's are awful, don't envy you/your kids. I got by (though did get bullied!) by keeping my head down, working hard and not reacting to taunts etc. Must say it scarred me somewhat as to this day I don't like confrontation. I'd like to say that today it would be different and that if I had my own kid I'd tell them to 'stick up for themselves' etc but honestly don't know about that approach.