House Price Crash Forum

Having watched a news article on Pravda yesterday I was a little hacked off at the moaners, where there is a single earner on over the upper tax threshold, who will lose child benefits so was having a look at various scenarios for us.

If we were not to work but instead fart out a couple of kids and go on the benefits gravy train we'd be in line for £21,178.66, now although not near our current take home, if only one of use were to work we would require a salary of £27700 to get the same after tax. No wonder the whole system if Fubar. What is the point, why work when you can have a comfortable lifestyle by telling one lie ('yes I am actively seeking employment') every 2 weeks. Fark, we could even afford the mortgage that we are willing to take having worked like mugs to save a decent deposit.

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

who says big govt doesn't pay.the sooner the system stumbles over itself the better.

Let's hope the bond markets turn to the UK and we end up with a rate hike. That should shake out a few bits of dead wood.

If we were not to work but instead fart out a couple of kids and go on the benefits gravy train we'd be in line for £21,178.66,

I suspect a fair chunk of that ends up in the pockets of a BTL landlord. Selling off the council houses was such a dumb idea.

I suspect a fair chunk of that ends up in the pockets of a BTL landlord. Selling off the council houses was such a dumb idea.

Yep, but as it stands a fair chunk of our earnings ends up in the hands of a btl ll, just pisses me off. Like I said a comfy lifestyle would be possible if we didn't bother to work. Although only £6900 of it, so £1160 left to live a month, take £200 for gas/elect/council and we'd live a comfortable life and all for sitting on our arses all day having fun with the kids.

Edited by zebbedee

The stupid entitlement culture. "I'm in entitled to it." In truth we're entitled to nothing in this world.

People should be proud, that they don't need benefits.

jaws%20quint.jpg

"If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter."

Edited by Money Spinner

If we were not to work but instead fart out a couple of kids and go on the benefits gravy train we'd be in line for £21,178.66, now although not near our current take home, if only one of use were to work we would require a salary of £27700 to get the same after tax. No wonder the whole system if Fubar. What is the point, why work when you can have a comfortable lifestyle by telling one lie ('yes I am actively seeking employment') every 2 weeks. Fark, we could even afford the mortgage that we are willing to take having worked like mugs to save a decent deposit.

If it's so easy, why not give it a try... or perhaps, it's not so easy after all?

Yep, but as it stands a fair chunk of our earnings ends up in the hands of a btl ll, just pisses me off. Like I said a comfy lifestyle would be possible if we didn't bother to work. Although only £6900 of it, so £1160 left to live a month, take £200 for gas/elect/council and we'd live a comfortable life and all for sitting on our arses all day having fun with the kids.

Having been on housing benefits in the past I sometimes wonder at the idea that this means a comfy lifestyle. I have successfully built up a business now and we no longer have housing benefit. I accept that there is a proportion of claimants that know how to scam the system although many of these might be achieving this through fraudulent means, that is, there is a risk element as there is with any other crime. T

he reality of being a genuine benefit claimant is constant checks on you which often mean, especially if you are self employed, spending around 10 to 20% of your time processing forms or paperwork to receive the benefit which in the case of housing benefit does indeed end up in your landlords pocket. The local authority will take any opportunity to suspend your benefit, usually just before the summer holidays or christmas, and often because of an internal error on their part like adding an extra nought to your income (whoops). Trying to rectify this can be exhausting and meanwhile you and your family are threatened with eviction and arrears are piling up. I wouldn't wish benefits on anyone. We are hardly better off now working but at least we have control of our destiny.

For many other people, their opportunities are few and sometimes you have to just think that they may be more intelligent by taking benefit from the govt rather than participating in the corrupt and twisted jobs market which has little in the way is real career paths any more.

Having been on housing benefits in the past I sometimes wonder at the idea that this means a comfy lifestyle. I have successfully built up a business now and we no longer have housing benefit. I accept that there is a proportion of claimants that know how to scam the system although many of these might be achieving this through fraudulent means, that is, there is a risk element as there is with any other crime. T

he reality of being a genuine benefit claimant is constant checks on you which often mean, especially if you are self employed, spending around 10 to 20% of your time processing forms or paperwork to receive the benefit which in the case of housing benefit does indeed end up in your landlords pocket. The local authority will take any opportunity to suspend your benefit, usually just before the summer holidays or christmas, and often because of an internal error on their part like adding an extra nought to your income (whoops). Trying to rectify this can be exhausting and meanwhile you and your family are threatened with eviction and arrears are piling up. I wouldn't wish benefits on anyone. We are hardly better off now working but at least we have control of our destiny.

For many other people, their opportunities are few and sometimes you have to just think that they may be more intelligent by taking benefit from the govt rather than participating in the corrupt and twisted jobs market which has little in the way is real career paths any more.

I'm sure this can't be true. Don't you just call the entitlement hotline, tell them you have one leg, two kids and three cats and they send you bundle of cash every week?

That's what they said in the Daily Mail.

If it's so easy, why not give it a try... or perhaps, it's not so easy after all?

That's a good idea. I suspect claiming benefits is beneath the op. Let's hope they don't end up being forced to claim due to redundancy as the reality will be a shock for them. The most amazing thing is that many of the people administering the benefits and making decisions do not actually have a clear understanding of the regulations which wastes money by causing massive over or under-payments.

I live near a pretty deprived area and its easy to walk past Wetherspoons and sneer at the number of unemployed in there drinking and smoking, especially on a summers day while you are working, but you have to realize just how depressing it is to live with a bleak future of little or no opportunities where a few pints and a fag is the highlight of your life. The social, employment and education systems in this country and many others have failed under successive governments of varying ideologies.

Er...like I said

now although not near our current take home

Doh...

As it goes,I to have claimed benefits in the past between jobs and found no problems getting access to the money, a few forms to fill in and a visit to the social every 2 weeks, indeed the benefits alluded to above would only come from housing, income support and child benefit (assuming 2 children and our current rent) so hardly hoops to jump through.

so hardly hoops to jump through.

You mentioned:

"What is the point, why work when you can have a comfortable lifestyle by telling one lie ('yes I am actively seeking employment') every 2 weeks."

To claim Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) I think you'll find there is a little more to it than this... ;)

It will be quite funny when some of the HPC posters end up going to sign on over the coming 24 months and the reality starts to bite <_<

You mentioned:

To claim Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) I think you'll find there is a little more to it than this... ;)

It will be quite funny when some of the HPC posters end up going to sign on over the coming 24 months and the reality starts to bite <_<

O, I'm sorry, fill out a few forms and tell one lie every 2 weeks. Why wouldn't I go the whole hog and use my back (genuine but I choose to work) and get incapacity on top.

O, I'm sorry, fill out a few forms and tell one lie every 2 weeks. Why wouldn't I go the whole hog and use my back (genuine but I choose to work) and get incapacity on top.

You have to give them details of jobs you've applied for, and they will spot check them. If they feel you haven't been looking hard enough for jobs, your "applications" don't check out or they just don't like the look of you, they'll stop your benefit for between one and 26 weeks.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/benefits/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm#jobseekers_allowance_and_sanctions

"While you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, the officer you see at the Jobcentre Plus office may make suggestions about things you could do to increase your chances of finding work. If you fail to take these steps, you may be given a jobseeker’s direction. This is a formal instruction for you to take certain action to help you find work, for example, attending a particular course, registering with an employment agency, responding to a particular advertisement or taking part in a 'back to work session'.

If you do not follow the jobseeker’s direction and do not have a good reason, you will not get any Jobseeker's Allowance for one or two weeks depending on the type of direction. If you unreasonably refuse or do not follow the direction a second time, you will not receive the benefit for a further four weeks. A good reason for refusing might be, for example, because the direction conflicts with your religious beliefs, or because the job involved would mean you would be worse off than on Jobseeker's Allowance."

After about 6 months of signing on you will start to get sent on courses (operated by private companies) to help you find work. If you don't go to the courses, benefit gets stopped again. And now they are talking about forcing you to do "voluntary" work if you've been out of work for 2 years.

Not quite just calling the entitlement hotline every 2 weeks is it?

You have to give them details of jobs you've applied for, and they will spot check them. If they feel you haven't been looking hard enough for jobs, your "applications" don't check out or they just don't like the look of you, they'll stop your benefit for between one and 26 weeks.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/benefits/benefits_for_people_looking_for_work.htm#jobseekers_allowance_and_sanctions

"While you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, the officer you see at the Jobcentre Plus office may make suggestions about things you could do to increase your chances of finding work. If you fail to take these steps, you may be given a jobseeker’s direction. This is a formal instruction for you to take certain action to help you find work, for example, attending a particular course, registering with an employment agency, responding to a particular advertisement or taking part in a 'back to work session'.

If you do not follow the jobseeker’s direction and do not have a good reason, you will not get any Jobseeker's Allowance for one or two weeks depending on the type of direction. If you unreasonably refuse or do not follow the direction a second time, you will not receive the benefit for a further four weeks. A good reason for refusing might be, for example, because the direction conflicts with your religious beliefs, or because the job involved would mean you would be worse off than on Jobseeker's Allowance."

After about 6 months of signing on you will start to get sent on courses (operated by private companies) to help you find work. If you don't go to the courses, benefit gets stopped again. And now they are talking about forcing you to do "voluntary" work if you've been out of work for 2 years.

Not quite just calling the entitlement hotline every 2 weeks is it?

Funnily enough on the occassion I have claimed the only thing required was to print off a couple of job ads and say I was going to apply for them, no follow up and of course I was looking for my own field which come up rarely so just printed off some old carp. :rolleyes:

Funnily enough on the occassion I have claimed the only thing required was to print off a couple of job ads and say I was going to apply for them, no follow up and of course I was looking for my own field which come up rarely so just printed off some old carp. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they never check, it's not like there will be any targets or anything.

Oh... wait....

http://www.goodadvicematters.co.uk/index.php/jsa/the-nasty-world-of-the-jsa-sanction/

Maybe printing some crap in your field won't pass muster anymore. Hopefully you'll find out just how easy it is soon, I look forward to your updates living the easy life!

You have to laugh don't you .. A friend of mine lives with his wife and two children in a rented house .. no idea exactly what they earn .. but I met him when he first came to the UK from Latvia .. He used to hitchhike to work every day .. and often I would give him a lift .. later we helped them out with baby clothes etc etc

Their neighbour is a single mother with two children .. and recently her car broke down and Larry (coz that's obviously not his name) went to collect her and then borrowed my car and trailer to collect her car .. Proper head gasket failure with overheating .. Not economical to repair .

I told them about my neighbour who had been taken into residential care and his daughter was trying to get rid of an immaculate 1996 Ford Fiesta with 36,000 on the clock they wanted £400 for it ..

She was acctually offended when Larry suggested it to her .. she was entitled to a loan from the social fund for a car so she would never consider a car that age .. Then she discovered she wasn't entitled to a loan (because the bastards changed the rules .. originally she had got a house in the right place (if you are far enough from a supermarket then a car is seen as a necessity) but because they now took bus routes into consideration she was no longer entitled. So she asked Larry about this car .. nope she would not consider it because it was WHITE ..

She eventually got a 2002 Red Mini with 98,000 on the clock from one of these "We give anyone credit" places .. for only £4000 ..

Mrs Larry has now had to listen to her complaining about how she spends half her income on the car .. and Mrs Larry was forced to say "Yes but at least it's Red" ..

They had always assumed that because she was a stay at home single mum that she was worse off than they were .. and were a bit shocked when they found out she got more than they did ..

I'm sure they never check, it's not like there will be any targets or anything.

Oh... wait....

http://www.goodadvicematters.co.uk/index.php/jsa/the-nasty-world-of-the-jsa-sanction/

Maybe printing some crap in your field won't pass muster anymore. Hopefully you'll find out just how easy it is soon, I look forward to your updates living the easy life!

Yep, we'll see but I'm confident it will. Unfortunately the ConDems, although talking of cuts, are spending like Gordon Brown on speed. Those I know on the benefits gravy train both claim incapacity benefit (both for bad backs, one genuine, one hypo) but both still manage to get on and enjoy life, one taking up horse riding-a thing I'd like but, actually having a dodgy back and working for my keep, I will be unlikely to enjoy.

That said, since it is clear you are simply angling for an argument I will now put you on ignore, feel free to read updates as to my life on the gravy train :lol:

Hopefully you'll fall in a pile of sheet and come up stinking of dung.

Edited by zebbedee

Selling of the council houses and not using the proceeds to build more/put aside for when more were required was a dumb idea.

Nothing wrong with increasing homeownership itself IMO.

Selling of the council houses and not using the proceeds to build more/put aside for when more were required was a dumb idea.

Nothing wrong with increasing homeownership itself IMO.

It would have been a brilliant idea if, at the end they'd said 'OK, now we've shifted all that old stock we can use the money to build low maintenance, energy efficient replacements on land we already own'.

Seems like somebody forgot about that part though.