House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dervis

Is It Me? Or Is Open Office A Crock Of....

I have joined a company that has what can only be described as a software mishmash on its systems. Open office is one. They have old versions of Microsoft office on some computers. I think they are moving to make open office the software of choice in the organisation. In the meantime, I just want to cry because I can't work from home properly as it doesn't seem to be compatible with anything. Does anyone else feel my pain??

I have joined a company that has what can only be described as a software mishmash on its systems. Open office is one. They have old versions of Microsoft office on some computers. I think they are moving to make open office the software of choice in the organisation. In the meantime, I just want to cry because I can't work from home properly as it doesn't seem to be compatible with anything. Does anyone else feel my pain??

I use it at home. I find it to be stable and reliable. I'm not a heavy user mind you, but it seems to do everything MS Office does.

I sell on your pain....even before the advent of some of the cloud technologies you would be amazed at how short sighted the majority of businesses are around providing decent technology to their staff.

New Jag on lease -check

New company logo - check

Away day to bond - Check

£50k over three years and the majority of your system issues will go away - thats a bit pricey...

Say you can get a spanking version of office 2010 for £250 or even cheaper if that saves 5 hours frustration over a whole year they are up aren't they.

Dust off your CV

can you use google docs from home? I mean would they know if you did or it works so you can you do it and none would know?

Open office and Libre Office are both free, so you could install it on your home computer and not have to worry about compatibility.

It is easy to install and doesn't mess with any other office programs you have.

If you do not want to install it on your home PC:-

• You could try 'save as' from Open Office at work and change the file type to doc or something.
  • You could boot up Ubuntu off a CD or pen drive and not mess with your computer's hard disk in any way.

I sell on your pain....even before the advent of some of the cloud technologies you would be amazed at how short sighted the majority of businesses are around providing decent technology to their staff.

New Jag on lease -check

New company logo - check

Away day to bond - Check

£50k over three years and the majority of your system issues will go away - thats a bit pricey...

Say you can get a spanking version of office 2010 for £250 or even cheaper if that saves 5 hours frustration over a whole year they are up aren't they.

Dust off your CV

:lol::lol::lol:

My God..I didn't even name the company!

When I started, they told me if I needed a motor just let them know. And they won't even give me half decent software... :o

I wouldn't even mind but they can afford it!! Working on my CV as we speak...!

Open office and Libre Office are both free, so you could install it on your home computer and not have to worry about compatibility.

It is easy to install and doesn't mess with any other office programs you have.

If you do not want to install it on your home PC:-

• You could try 'save as' from Open Office at work and change the file type to doc or something.

• You could boot up Ubuntu off a CD or pen drive and not mess with your computer's hard disk in any way.

I have microsoft 2003 at work. When I open my work laptop up pops Open office.....

Nope, I'm quite fond of it. What sort of issues are you having?

Painful ones. At work I use Microsoft office 2003. When I get home and open my laptop, I get open office.

At the moment I am working on a form in Office 2003 which is not recognised by open office. I cannot enter text in the form boxes. Worried that if I do figure my way around this, I will find it has not saved my work when I get back to the office 2003 back at my desk.

Get them to install Open Office on the work PC so you have the same software on both.

You could try using the free trial of MS Office 2010 for this file?

Not an option for most - but I've resorted to buying my own stuff and befriending IT admins to let it on the network. Thankfully I am a budget holder but even so I can't spend more than 100 quid on a single software/hardware purchase (not in IT you see). So some stuff still comes out my own pocket.

If I go - it goes with me though (as one of my previous employers found out when a crucial piece of hardware that I'd bought left when I did). I had a few bemused phone calls from them on the following Monday.

Another hooked by the MS marketing bs. Fancy graphics do not a good program make.

I've used loads of word processors, from Ami Pro to Word 2010 and I have to say MS Word has given me the most grief. Mainly because of its lack of compatability, even with other versions of Office. Open Office is great, it just looks dated because it has the old MS Office sort of style to it. Once you've spent a little time learning it, just like you have to each time Office is updated, then pretty much all the functionality you could dream of is there. And its all free.

Calling it a crock of ... is harsh. If you're open minded and willing to learn then it's a fully fledged and mature suite of office programs. If a person is closed minded and not willing to learn then they're re going to have problems with any software they use including MS.

As for changing jobs because a word processor doesn't work the way you wanted, that's just plain crazy. I've never heard anything as daft in my whole life.

...as it doesn't seem to be compatible with anything. Does anyone else feel my pain??

Absolutely. It does everything that MS Office does.

Just badly.

kolchaknightstalker.jpg

Burn it!!!!!

Another hooked by the MS marketing bs. Fancy graphics do not a good program make.

I've used loads of word processors, from Ami Pro to Word 2010 and I have to say MS Word has given me the most grief. Mainly because of its lack of compatability, even with other versions of Office. Open Office is great, it just looks dated because it has the old MS Office sort of style to it. Once you've spent a little time learning it, just like you have to each time Office is updated, then pretty much all the functionality you could dream of is there. And its all free.

Calling it a crock of ... is harsh. If you're open minded and willing to learn then it's a fully fledged and mature suite of office programs. If a person is closed minded and not willing to learn then they're re going to have problems with any software they use including MS.

As for changing jobs because a word processor doesn't work the way you wanted, that's just plain crazy. I've never heard anything as daft in my whole life.

Blimey, who set you off today??

Did anyone here mention graphics? I have only been talking compatiblity. Its not about learning anything. I've managed to get through from nursery to a masters degree, so I do have a bit of a history of learning behind me. And if I contact my IT support and they tell me they can't help, then that's no bloody good to me, is it? And as for leaving the job, let me know when you are around and I'll sort out a sense of humour injection for you. :lol:

Blimey, who set you off today??

Did anyone here mention graphics? I have only been talking compatiblity. Its not about learning anything. I've managed to get through from nursery to a masters degree, so I do have a bit of a history of learning behind me. And if I contact my IT support and they tell me they can't help, then that's no bloody good to me, is it? And as for leaving the job, let me know when you are around and I'll sort out a sense of humour injection for you. :lol:

Yes I did.

OK so the problem has shifted to your IT people not knowing how to support you. That's somewhat different to calling a program a crock of ...

And the frustration with your company sounded serious. Couldn't tell it was a joke, but glad it is.

I use openoffice all the time, but my main colleague insists on sticking with MS word. We each hate the other's system with a passion.

Openoffice is totally compatible, but when you install it it is set to automatically save everything in its own "opendocument" format - so ordinary writing is saved as xxx.odt instead of xxx.doc

You can choose on a case-by-case basis to save as .doc instead, or you can go in and order it to stop pissing around and save everything as MS .doc format - go to settinga or preferences, then under Load/Save and then under General, and you can choose whatever version of MS word your colleagues use most.

I use openoffice all the time, but my main colleague insists on sticking with MS word. We each hate the other's system with a passion.

Openoffice is totally compatible, but when you install it it is set to automatically save everything in its own "opendocument" format - so ordinary writing is saved as xxx.odt instead of xxx.doc

You can choose on a case-by-case basis to save as .doc instead, or you can go in and order it to stop pissing around and save everything as MS .doc format - go to settinga or preferences, then under Load/Save and then under General, and you can choose whatever version of MS word your colleagues use most.

Cheers for that. According to my IT department, Open Office has difficulties with forms. I don't know that much about software, but that makes little sense to me. Surely its just a word doc with a bit of formatting at the end of the day?? or is it my IT department that a crock of ..... :D

Yes I did.

OK so the problem has shifted to your IT people not knowing how to support you. That's somewhat different to calling a program a crock of ...

And the frustration with your company sounded serious. Couldn't tell it was a joke, but glad it is.

I am tempted to throw my toys out of the pram and resign tommorrow, just to see how you would respond... :lol:

Open Office works fine for me. I started using it when I last changed my laptop and couldn't be bothered faffing around with MS licence agreements and validation codes to move the software over.

For the record, MS office 2010 is absolute cack too

When I were't lad, we used to get up, eat a handful of cold gravel and use LaTex under MS-DOS 3.1

You trying tell young people of today...

Anybody that's ever been emailed a word document that has a load of checkboxes on it will know the pain the OP is suffering

Life is too short to spend a few hours trying to sort out this issue just to fill out 5 checkboxes