House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Remembrance Sunday

Watching the Remembrance Service from the Cenotaph I suddenly started thinking back to my childhood. My best Mate`s Grandfather was killed on the Somme in 1916 leaving his Widow with a 9 month old baby my Mate`s Father. His Grandmother married again out of necessity had three further children only to see her second Husband killed by a direct hit by a bomb on the London Docks in 1941.

In Junior School I remember many children did not have Fathers saying my Dad was killed in the War with their Mothers struggling on meagre War Widow`s Pensions.

It was many of these children who never had the chance to go on to higher education as at 15 years of age they went to work to supplement the household income.

It makes you think how lucky people are today on their inflated Benefits. :rolleyes:

Watching the Remembrance Service from the Cenotaph I suddenly started thinking back to my childhood. My best Mate`s Grandfather was killed on the Somme in 1916 leaving his Widow with a 9 month old baby my Mate`s Father. His Grandmother married again out of necessity had three further children only to see her second Husband killed by a direct hit by a bomb on the London Docks in 1941.

In Junior School I remember many children did not have Fathers saying my Dad was killed in the War with their Mothers struggling on meagre War Widow`s Pensions.

It was many of these children who never had the chance to go on to higher education as at 15 years of age they went to work to supplement the household income.

It makes you think how lucky people are today on their inflated Benefits. :rolleyes:

had to reply because this day warrants commenting on.

I don't think it is possible to pass on the experience without living through a war-me included, we take liberty and safety for granted

Am going to be positive about today, I think that's what all those who fought for our liberty deserve.

Personally, I'm very grateful not only to those who fought against fascism in the wars, but also to the architects of European integration for building a Europe in which war between its major powers has been virtually unthinkable for the last 60-odd years. It's great that, nowadays, all we have to complain about is unfair benefit payments, rather than the number of dead and injured relatives. We are very lucky people.

A lot to be thankful for, for certain. I' was just watching on channel 4 (or one of its variants) a programme on how Russia turned the tide of WW2 - interesting viewing.

My girlfriend pointed out Tony Blair and Gordon Brown at the cenotaph today. Honestly, my first reaction was 'traitors,' as harsh as that may seem. You don't need me to state the reaons.

It felt a little odd to me this year. Felt as if it wasn't so much about 'Never Again' as 'sign up now to go and risk glorious death in the service of the nation'.

Maybe just me, but it all seemed a little vainglorious, and somewhat sinister, not at all how I used to remember these things.

How is the state pension, charlie- I suppose you'll be wondering what to spend your winter fuel allowance on soon....

How is the state pension, charlie- I suppose you'll be wondering what to spend your winter fuel allowance on soon....

As Dave said you can donate it to charity if you wish, so I am donating it to "The Keep Charlie Warm This Winter Fund." ;)