House Price Crash Forum

Hoping For A Recession

Hmmmmm

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I just hope for whatever it takes for a 'correction' both in terms of house prices and the economy in general, and if that means recession (probably likely to IMO) then so be it.

Things should never have been allowed to get this bad, with absurb house prices, massive consumer debts and a government who will do whatever it takes to keep things at this unrealistic level (ie removing 5billion from company pensions, stealth taxes on everything etc etc) :angry:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I wouldn't have any time for somebody who hoped for recession

Recessions are neccesary to clear out the crap from the economy (e.g. companies that make no economic sense): in a rational world recessions would be regular and shallow.

Unfortunately in our insane world politicians try to avoid recessions with artificially low interest rates, which only load up the economy with more and more unsustainable crap which makes the recession far worse when it finally happens.

HOLA4411

Are people here hoping for more job losses etc leading to a full blown recession so that this will bring about a speedier house price crash?

Valid question regardless of possible AWOOGA rating.

To be fair I think most people who post job loss statistics on here do so in the public interest as merely one of the of the current market indicators to be used as just another input variable for their own economic calculations/predictions. We seem to have a healthy mix of anything from bottle-fed-bulls to pure-spin-immune number-crunching-'bobble-hats' to financial-boy-scout-contingency-characters to a few closet-'guns-and-ammo'-subscribing-ecomonic-armageddon-enthusiasts and the usual wind-up-merchants. But in greater accuracy many people exhibit more than one of these traits at ant one time. In my opinion.

HOLA4412

Recessions are neccesary to clear out the crap from the economy (e.g. companies that make no economic sense): in a rational world recessions would be regular and shallow.

Unfortunately in our insane world politicians try to avoid recessions with artificially low interest rates, which only load up the economy with more and more unsustainable crap which makes the recession far worse when it finally happens.

Are there companies that make no economic sense? If a company can't make money it goes broke - recession or no recession.

Surely the far more pertinent question is: How many public servants can an economy afford? Private companies contribute the bulk of employment and tax - but in a recession it is private companies that fold - whereas it seems to be nearly impossible to cut down on the number of public servants.

Gordon said he was going to get rid of loads. Latest figures show another 95000 were added in the last year. Does Gordon talk bolleaux?

HOLA4413

I don't want to see a recession, but I do want to see:

a. lower house prices

b. Tonee and Crash sacrificed for being complete pricks

c. an economy based on wealth creation, not an asset swap speculative merry go round

d. no more 120k walkwell coordinators or 5 a day promoters

e. young people actively making enterprenurial ventures and rewarded for doing so, rather than seeing them give old codgers all their wordly goods for a shabby terrace.

I think a recession would go a long way to achieving these aims......

HOLA4414
Are there companies that make no economic sense? If a company can't make money it goes broke - recession or no recession.

Lots of companies keep borrowing more and more money to survive, or exist solely due to borrowing by consumers. In a boom they can continue for a long time... in a recession they go bust as they can no longer afford to pay the interest on their loans, or their customers find better things to do with their money.

This is particularly true in 'boomy' areas where dozens of companies jump in and there's too much competition for anyone to make a profit. In a recession the least rational companies go bust and the rest can return to some kind of profitability.

HOLA4415

We seem to have a healthy mix of anything from bottle-fed-bulls to pure-spin-immune number-crunching-'bobble-hats' to financial-boy-scout-contingency-characters to a few closet-'guns-and-ammo'-subscribing-ecomonic-armageddon-enthusiasts and the usual wind-up-merchants. But in greater accuracy many people exhibit more than one of these traits at ant one time. In my opinion.

:lol::lol::lol: You are so right. Though I would add that some people switch back and forth from recession watchers to armagedon types (depending on how much you've been drinking and what day or night). I count myself among them. :D

And yes I am hoping for a recession a quick one..3 to 4 years, but I am also preparing for a depression...just in case :unsure:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I would like to see neither a recession or a depression but the kind of scenario outlined in 'Dawn Of The Dead'.

We could do a remake: except instead of being holed up in a shopping mall surrounded by consumer zombies, they'd hole up in an Estate Agents surrounded by BTL zombies :).

"What are they doing? Why do they come here?"

"Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives."

HOLA4420

Who says all news has to be good ??!!?! :blink:

Surely any news agency that issues forth streams of good-news-only deserves to be ignored as a total waste of space? I'd like to see more good news around here lest we be accused of being bad-news-only.

Oh hang on, the advert at the top of the screen :o "FTSE Up Up and Away!" :o:o . Looks like good news to me! :lol: So that's what I can do with my SIPP...!!!

B)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I would like to see neither a recession or a depression but the kind of scenario outlined in 'Dawn Of The Dead'.

Piff, 28 days later, no question. Except that I'm not one of the Christopher Eccleston-following, child molesting TA types.

No, me and my dad would salvage old vehicles and machines and make them do useful stuff; well, my dad would, I would make helpful banter from the sidelines. We would travel from village to village doing useful work and clearing out the various marauders, bandits etc. Like "The seven samurai" in the end we would die saving one village, but our heroism would inspire others.

HOLA4423

:lol::lol::lol: You are so right. Though I would add that some people switch back and forth from recession watchers to armagedon types (depending on how much you've been drinking and what day or night). I count myself among them. :D

And yes I am hoping for a recession a quick one..3 to 4 years, but I am also preparing for a depression...just in case :unsure:

Whether hoping for the worst is good or bad depends on what you percieve the worst to be and why you wish it.

Nothing wrong with preparing for the worst, that's prudent survival of the fittest mentality.

A quick recession is an economic MOT.

HOLA4424

Playing Devils advocate, this is particularly aimed at STR; Is staying out of property and or selling B2Ls like cancelling your pension contributions every time economic clouds loom?

Did people stop / start thier pensions during the tumultous 1970s, or plough on come what may?

BTW, anyone care to give me an update on the FTSE? Cheers

B)

Edited by dogbox

HOLA4425

No, me and my dad would salvage old vehicles and machines and make them do useful stuff; well, my dad would, I would make helpful banter from the sidelines. We would travel from village to village doing useful work and clearing out the various marauders, bandits etc. Like "The seven samurai" in the end we would die saving one village, but our heroism would inspire others.

Very commendable...but I would take advantage of the lawlessness to ensure that all fat women were dowsed with used engine oil.