House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Totalitarian State - Examples

Let's keep a track of stories.

I have read two just recently so thought having them all in one place would be useful.

EDL arrests

Two stories in one. EDL supporters arrested to 'prevent a breach of the peace'. Exactly when did this become Lawful ?! :o

Also noted in the same story that the Muslims against crusades group has been 'banned'. I don't agree with much of that they think but to ban them ?!

Then we have the story earlier in the week of the bloke who was arrested and had to go to court for grabbing a young lad who had been abusing him at his front door - and simply taking him to his gate. Nothing more.

STV

So that is 3 in just a few days that I have happened to notice. How much of this is going on all around. :ph34r:

Let's keep a track of stories.

I have read two just recently so thought having them all in one place would be useful.

EDL arrests

Two stories in one. EDL supporters arrested to 'prevent a breach of the peace'. Exactly when did this become Lawful ?! :o

Also noted in the same story that the Muslims against crusades group has been 'banned'. I don't agree with much of that they think but to ban them ?!

Then we have the story earlier in the week of the bloke who was arrested and had to go to court for grabbing a young lad who had been abusing him at his front door - and simply taking him to his gate. Nothing more.

STV

So that is 3 in just a few days that I have happened to notice. How much of this is going on all around. :ph34r:

i think there is a bit more to that first story

i think there is a bit more to that first story

They released every single one without charge. Now perhaps they were planning something ? But if so, and if they had evidence, they could have been charged if what they planned was illegal. So this was an arrest for a thought crime. Simple as that.

EDL supporters arrested to 'prevent a breach of the peace'. Exactly when did this become Lawful ?!

It's always been lawful to arrest someone for conspiracy to commit a crime, I don't think there's anything new here. Having said that, releasing all of them without charge begs the question of exactly what evidence it was the police thought they had (most likely nothing much more than being in possession of short hair and an England soccer shirt). The police have a long history of harassing people they think may be out to cause trouble based on their prevailing personal prejudices (the suffragettes, Jewish anarchists, anyone black living in Brixton, miners, Tory shadow ministers, photographers etc), the EDL are just the latest victims.

They imprisoned some scottish football celtic guy for 'sectarian abuse' whatever that may mean.

He didnt make any threats.

Premsumably Richard Dawkins and Pat Condell are awaiting a knock on the door for criticizing religion too.

Loonies in charge of the asylum.

They imprisoned some scottish football celtic guy for 'sectarian abuse' whatever that may mean.

Former secretary of defence, John Reid?.

he could do with a spell in the clink.

Here's a good example of a totalitariam state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

The Kent State shootings—also known as the May 4 massacre or the Kent State massacre[2][3][4]—occurred at Kent State University in the city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of unarmed college students by members of the Ohio National Guard

Note:A Gallup poll taken immediately after the shootings showed that 58 percent of respondents blamed the students, 11 percent blamed the National Guard and 31 percent expressed no opinion.

Believe me, America has barely changed since then IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings#cite_note-37'>

Arrest to prevent breach of the peace is a clever tactic the police use to break up pesky demonstrations usually in the following way:

1) Surround protesters

2) Shove and beat random protesters

3) Snatch random protesters who seem a bit miffed

This partly breaks up the demo, instills fear into the other protesters there and gives the mainsteam media the opportunity to photograph protesters shouting at police so any further police violence looks justified so the whole movement can be labelled as being violent and not worthy of debate. This has been a defacto technique of the state since states, and demonstrations began.

Extra bonus, it enables the demonstration to be labelled as a riot, opening the door to possible (and very serious) violent disorder charges or (most recently) the loss of any state benefits.

What a wonderful world.

It's always been lawful to arrest someone for conspiracy to commit a crime, I don't think there's anything new here. Having said that, releasing all of them without charge begs the question of exactly what evidence it was the police thought they had (most likely nothing much more than being in possession of short hair and an England soccer shirt). The police have a long history of harassing people they think may be out to cause trouble based on their prevailing personal prejudices (the suffragettes, Jewish anarchists, anyone black living in Brixton, miners, Tory shadow ministers, photographers etc), the EDL are just the latest victims.

Yep - there clearly was zero evidence of anything they planned that was illegal. So it was an arrest for a thought crime. I think anyone who has not read 1984 should do so. The similarities are frightening.

And as I type this I have the TV on and Blair is on spouting his usual sociopathic double speak. Scary times.

Nothing to do with the rather widely reported threats made by the EDL to the Occupy protesters then?

Fire away with evidence then please. And I am far from a supporter of the EDL. I would just like to see the evidence that the Police based ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY ARRESTS on.

Fire away with evidence then please. And I am far from a supporter of the EDL. I would just like to see the evidence that the Police based ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY ARRESTS on.

I heard that the pub landlord called the police as he was worried about somethin - maybe something there?

Being arrested isn't the worst thing in the world anyways! ;)

I heard that the pub landlord called the police as he was worried about somethin - maybe something there?

Being arrested isn't the worst thing in the world anyways! ;)

I have been arrested myself on a few occasions :lol:

I can understand certain aspects of this story. If I was the landlord I may have done the same. However the fact remains. 150 people were arrested for nothing other than thoughts they may or may not have had. I find that ******ing scary. it is 1984.

We are there. 27 years late but there all the same.

you have available to you exactly what I have.

It was widely reported.

Gooogle is your friend.

Well give me a hint !! If there was something that backed up the Police decision than fair enough. I am not a fan of the EDL or the coppers at the best of times !!

As I said, widely reported.

Do you need your mum to google it for you?

As I said, widely reported.

Do you need your mum to google it for you?

Fire way - why cannot you just post a link. :blink:

and here:

http://www.guardian....y-armistice-day

yeah yeah, tis the Grauniad

Ok so it was 'believed' they were going to do something. I find that wrong. What if the Police 'beleive' that one day I am about to do something. They can just wander up and arrest me coz they fancy it ? Frightening.

Ok so it was 'believed' they were going to do something. I find that wrong. What if the Police 'beleive' that one day I am about to do something. They can just wander up and arrest me coz they fancy it ? Frightening.

According to the Guardian article, they were planning to attack the St Paul's campers - almost certainly overheard by several people and reported to the police.

What should the police do exactly? Wait for them to attack?