House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Daily Express Again This Time, It's Down

I'm guessing they're dressing this up as 'bad' news. B)

WTF but the Daily Express has always informed me that house prices are going through the roof - I rushed out and bought 20 on their say so!

(I didn't really)

Very unlike them to report some gloom.........

a perfect Express story, really.

1 - it's about house prices;

2 - Brussels Bureaucrats are the villains.

3 - Most likely nothing will come of the Euro-proposals, meaning the DE will be able to trumpet a victory for common sense and decency or whatever in a few weeks/months' time.

it's a beauty, mind. describes "the UK's... buy to let sector" as "crucial" [although without specifying what it's crucial for].

Edited by the flying pig

Surely the Express don't think that a few EU rules will be enough to slash the mighty British house price? I'm disappointed in them.

Just noticed that this story is not by Sarah O'Grady. Have they finally sacked her?

Edited by thecrashingisles

a perfect Express story, really.

1 - it's about house prices;

2 - Brussels Bureaucrats are the villains.

3 - Most likely nothing will come of the Euro-proposals, meaning the DE will be able to trumpet a victory for common sense and decency or whatever in a few weeks/months' time.

it's a beauty, mind. describes "the UK's... buy to let sector" as "crucial" [although without specifying what it's crucial for].

If only they could have got Maddie and a cure for cancer in there...

Still, as a headline it's a tiny step in the right direction after all the codswallop they've put over the years.

Has Sibley replied in the comments section :D

EDIT TO ADD - Can we finally say the fear stage is truly upon us, or are there still muppets out there in denial?

Edited by rantnrave

Surely the Express don't think that a few EU rules will be enough to slash the mighty British house price? I'm disappointed in them.

Just noticed that this story is not by Sarah O'Grady. Have they finally sacked her?

Sarah O'Grady also posts on PMT Motley Fool under the handle of Kingofnowhere.

Well of course they must publish it.

Because when prices drop, they are going to need an outside source to blame. This is so they wont look foolish to their reader.

EDIT TO ADD - Can we finally say the fear stage is truly upon us, or are there still muppets out there in denial?

Sadly I fear the UK will never run out of Muppets believing you cannot go wrong with bricks and mortar :(

There are some bizarre comments on the article, including some faux hand-wringing about where people will live if landlords are forced to sell up.

I know, it is tragic isnt it. Apparently all these houses will cease to exist if they were no longer mortgaged by a parasitic 'investor'.

God forbid that they are released back onto the market and a 'hard working British Family' are able to afford to buy a roof over their heads....

I was just out at the shops and that headline did make me smile :lol:

Does anyone think we will start seeing a rush for the exits? Yes I know what the Express says is invariably bull but their readers are obviously largely braindead so you never know - I am living in hope.

Treating BTL loans like residential loans sounds logical.

• it prevents new lending to btl (well those without the money to do it safely)
  • BTL will have to get business loans possibly if they cannot cover he mortgage personally.
  • Rents will actually go down as prices will fall medium to longer term.
  • an owner occupier will compete on a more equal footing
  • The market after the falls will be less volatile as buyers and investors will have more equal competition.
  • it makes BTL less risky as its still an option but only for those who have paid off their mortgage/get a business loan for it
  • the government can blame the EU for the price falls

It all sounds logical to me

Edited by Fromage Frais

Do you reckon the editors of the Daily Express have finally ditched their BTL portfolios, so it's all doom and gloom from here on?

They certainly have changed their tune pretty quickly :unsure:

nah - they do throw in a 'negative' HP story into the mix every now and then, just to keep their witless, senile, readership on its slipper-clad toes. see my sig for a good example.

How does the express manage to keep its circulation at a staggering 639,875 readers? I suspect it's complacency. People just can't be bothered to cancel it as it's only 10p per copy? Newspapers are freaking obsolete anyway.

How does the express manage to keep its circulation at a staggering 639,875 readers? I suspect it's complacency. People just can't be bothered to cancel it as it's only 10p per copy? Newspapers are freaking obsolete anyway.

I have always assumed that the Express did not actually have readers. I thought that maybe they all just wanted to see pictures of Princess Diana and Maddie. After all surely if anyone actually read the bilge that was published they would soon put their money to better use - are Freddo Bars not still 10p

They are putting this headline out to try to create publicity to stop the policy going through. They think if they put the headline big enough it will scare the policy makers into not putting in the legislation.

Edited by caparn

for a long time i've thought that a large slice of the DE's readership is so old as to be actually deceased. the papers are still being delivered because no-one has cancelled the subs.

for a long time i've thought that a large slice of the DE's readership is so old as to be actually deceased. the papers are still being delivered because no-one has cancelled the subs.

:lol: made me laugh

phenomenally correct though!