House Price Crash Forum
Loanshark

Bbc Calls For £200 Licence Fee !

Bloody hell!

That's about a 60% rise.

Question:

If you are on beneifts are you exempt for the licence fee?

They've asked for an increase of inflation (RPI) + 2.3% for 7 years.

Without inflation it would take the rate to £150 or so.

The previous settlement was RPI + 1.4% and they are claiming its the switch to digital that justifys the rise (interestingly the last rise was due to BBC3, BBC4 and the children channels).

I've not seen a justification yet. I'll probably see it in the morning and will comment them.

I really hope you're being ironic. Death to soaps!

I wonder how much the goverment gets from TV Tax. Personally i am disgusted that i have to pay for the BBC, i would happily remove all existances of it from my TV if it meant i didnt have to throw away £130 a year,

Question:

If you are on beneifts are you exempt for the licence fee?

No. I read somewhere that the majority of people convicted for non-payment are single mothers on benifits and pensioners.

The BBC is without a doubt the best public broadcaster in the World, but at what a price! Personally I believe that watching television is a right not a privilege and would be happy to see the license fee scrapped.

Its well worth it to watch eastenders and repeats.

I wonder how much the BBC spends on Eastenders per year. I guess it doesn't matter how much as bosses at the Beeb will point to the ratings to justify whatever they spend on it.

I actually think that on the whole the BBC does a great job. It is the UK's gift to the world.

However, Eastenders is utter tripe that serves only to dumb down the IQ of the average viewer. That is not appropriate for a public service broadcaster.

Analogue TV and radio expenditure (£m):

BBC One 872.9

BBC Two 374.5

National and regional television 213.5

National, regional and local radio 142.2

BBC Radio 1 17.8

BBC Radio 2 23.8

BBC Radio 3 32.0

BBC Radio 4 71.3

BBC Radio Five Live 53.8

Look at BBC1, £872.9 million!!!

Guest growl

I actually think that on the whole the BBC does a great job. It is the UK's gift to the world.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh dear. The UK's gift.

If that's what it is then forget the economy. We're really going down hill.

The sooner they privatise the BBC the better. I rarely watch. In fact I rarely watch telly apart from satelight news. I rent my programs and movies from the Internet. That's the way of the future and the BBC know it.

If they really are asking for that much then its payback time for the fiasco of the David Kelly debacle.

B@st@rds!!!

Anyone know where I can get a screen that will allow a DVD scart input? Not for a PC just a normal

DVD or Video player?

Oh dear. The UK's gift.

If that's what it is then forget the economy. We're really going down hill.

The sooner they privatise the BBC the better. I rarely watch. In fact I rarely watch telly apart from satelight news. I rent my programs and movies from the Internet. That's the way of the future and the BBC know it.

If they really are asking for that much then its payback time for the fiasco of the David Kelly debacle.

There are many people on this earth that rely on the BBC to provide them with the only source of reliable, unbiased and factual information. I know it has its problems and it is right that we criticise it. What would privatisation do for it?

Analogue TV and radio expenditure (£m):

BBC One 872.9

BBC Two 374.5

National and regional television 213.5

National, regional and local radio 142.2

BBC Radio 1 17.8

BBC Radio 2 23.8

BBC Radio 3 32.0

BBC Radio 4 71.3

BBC Radio Five Live 53.8

Look at BBC1, £872.9 million!!!

For the life of me I cannot remember a show I would actually want to watch on BBC1.

The occasional film? Theirs are usually crappy US TV movies...

There are many people on this earth that rely on the BBC to provide them with the only source of reliable, unbiased and factual information. I know it has its problems and it is right that we criticise it. What would privatisation do for it?

Are you talking about the World Service?

That is funded by the home office, not the licence fee.

BBC TV news is awful, Channel 4 news is far superior.

No mention of BBC3 or BBC4 :blink: They are a complete waste of space as well.

BBC TV programmes are available around the world, not just the World Service.

Incidently (and a genuine question), who pays for the web site? That is the world's best in my opinion. And it does a lot to promote Britain around the world.

Im not so sure. The beeb had me believe they were the centre of the earth and highly relevant around the world, yet I cant help noticing on trips abroad how utterly irrelevant the BBC and for that matter the UK is.

American news seems the fodder of choice around the world, which is a shame, its unprofessional, biased, commercial and very unintelligent. God bless America.

Edited by dogbox

Digital TV spend (£m)

The CBBC Channel, CBeebies 49.7

BBC Three (iv) 92.9

BBC Four (v) 41.1

BBC News 24 22.9

BBC Parliament 2.2

Interactive television (BBCi) 17.1

1Xtra 5.7

BBC Radio Five Live Sports Extra 1.6

6 Music 4.5

BBC 7 4.8

BBC Asian Network 5.4

bbc.co.uk 69.2

Digital Curriculum 8.3

No mention of BBC3 or BBC4 :blink: They are a complete waste of space as well.

Radio 4 is one of the best things about being British. Not only a hive of information but a highly enjoyable listening experience, so peaceful and restful. I love (and used to make) house music BTW, so I switch between R4 and underground London stations such as Passion and Subjam, so Im not an old git (yet).

Radio 1, Capital and thier kind are such an assault on the senses. Next time you listen just note how much full - force noise pervades, even the traffic cant be read out without awfull annoying music.

Since when were "gifts" coerced from the giver under the threat of a prison sentence?

BAB

Edited by BayAreaBear

Guest Guy_Montag

I'm going to stick my name down as a fan of the BBC. It's not perfect, there is undoubtably a lot of crap on, but before you get carried away critisizing it & calling for it's privatisation. All I can say is, look at ITV News, in fact look at ITV. For that matter look at Sky 1, remove all the US programs they buy in & consider what is left.

Bear in mind while you think about it, the BBC is often credited for keeping the rest of British TV highbrow.

I read the BBC budget was around £4 Billion a year now - of which nearly £3 BILLION is from the licence fee. Do you BBC disciples all think this "gift to the world" is worth the equivalent of 1p on income tax? Because that is what it amounts to across the population. Bits of the BBC I love to death, but most of it I think rubbish or biased. It is a creature of the past and has no god given right to subsidy in the 21st century. Those who value quality drama, news, sport, documentaries etc can all get their fill from the better channels available by satellite (I do).

Put another way, if we historically had a TV system like many other western countries which was commercial and someone suggested taxing your TV so that a new government controlled (effectively), state owned broadcaster could be set up (say, the "BBBC", the Blair Brown Broadcasting Corp...) - and it would cost you £3 Billion a year - what do think people would say?

As for figures, see below from Hansard last year for the figures up to 2004. Obviously they are higher now.

"BBC

Mr. Salmond: To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what percentage of the BBC's budget during the last four financial years came from (a) licence fee, (B) Government funding, © income from commercial enterprise and (d) other sources. [203727]

Estelle Morris: According to the BBC's Annual Report and Accounts, the following table shows what percentage of the BBC group's external income came from the licence fee, Government funding, income from commercial enterprises and other sources.

Total: Group external income (£ million) Licence fee (percentage) Government funding (percentage) Commercial services (percentage) Other (percentage)

2001 3,164.5 74.9 5.7 17.5 1.8

2002 3,382.9 74.8 5.6 17.9 1.7

2003 3,532.0 75.3 5.7 17.7 1.3

2004 3,705.9 75.5 6.0 17.4 1.1

I'm going to stick my name down as a fan of the BBC. It's not perfect, there is undoubtably a lot of crap on, but before you get carried away critisizing it & calling for it's privatisation. All I can say is, look at ITV News, in fact look at ITV. For that matter look at Sky 1, remove all the US programs they buy in & consider what is left.

Bear in mind while you think about it, the BBC is often credited for keeping the rest of British TV highbrow.

Thanks GM. I was beginning to feel like a troll!! :lol:

Agreed. There is a lot of crap, but it beats the opposition.

Those who value quality drama, news, sport, documentaries etc can all get their fill from the better channels available by satellite (I do).

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Thanks GM. I was beginning to feel like a troll!! :lol:

Agreed. There is a lot of crap, but it beats the opposition.

There certainly is crap on the BBC. For example, that "Test the Nation" on Saturday Night was for binge-drinking chavs and sheeple only. It was mind-rotting dumbed-down garbage.