House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Question

As you are no doubt aware there is room for improvement in access to appointments and to the surgery by telephone. In order to work towards improving both I would very much appreciate it if you would reply to this e'mail stating yes or no to question 1 and yes or no to question 2

Question 1

It has been suggested that to prevent patients being asked to call back at 1400 for appointments which are released 48hrs in advance, all appointments including those which are booked 48 hrs in advance will be released at 0830 each day. Once those appointmnets have gone patients will be advised that they need to call back at 0830 the following morning. This will spread demand over two days.

If you agree to this change in the system please answer yes if not please answer no to question 1

Question 2

In order to increase the number of consultations which the practice provides we are looking at increasing the number of telephone advice appointments. In order to do this I would need to carry out a survey to estimate the demand.

If you think that a survey regarding telephone advice is good please answer yes to question 2 and if not please answer no to question 2.

To save your time the following format is perfectly acceptable

1. Yes/No

2. Yes/No

------------------

Is it just me who thinks the idea of saying to people who want an appointment "ring back" is insane ...?

Why not just make them the appointment?

Or do what A&E do and triage you on the phone.

Yes, sounds insane.

My GP practice currently has a very good appointment system. The area I wish to buy a house in has an absolutely lousey appointment system by all accounts - you have to turn up on the morning and book an appointment which then might be several hours away.

Why the Govt does not enforce a good system on all practices is beyond me.

Yes, sounds insane.

My GP practice currently has a very good appointment system.

What is it?

I would love to suggest them something better.

Best I've seen was:

need to see doc urgent: turn up at 8 and you'll be seen by a GP.

Need to see doc non urgent: make appt as and when next doc appt is free

need to see nurse: make appt with nurse.

it didn't strike me as rocket science but I don't know how many patients they had on books (2 docs, 1 CPN and a nurse)

The worst was health centre with lots of docs. Not cos the system was horrendous but cos they seemed to change it constantly so you never knew if there was a 'come in and see us' session or whether it was all appointments.

I always never know whether i need a doctor or a nurse. Don't always feel comfortable expecting the receptionist to decide which for me either!

Ours is not too bad.

You can only make an appointment for the same day. Booking opens at 8.30 am and when all appointments are gone they tell you to phone again the next day. A few appointments are kept open for emergencies. The only time I was told to ring again the next day was one day when I phoned for an appointment at 3pm. Usually easy to get an appointment until about lunchtime.

Only certain patients e.g. pregnant women can get advance bookings.

Ours is not too bad.

You can only make an appointment for the same day. Booking opens at 8.30 am and when all appointments are gone they tell you to phone again the next day

But why should you have to ring back up for an appointment?

(especially for non urgent routine stuff... )