House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Great Quotes

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Comment on and rate the above. Then post your own ...

and so on and so on ...

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Comment on and rate the above. Then post your own ...

and so on and so on ...

With all respect to the Dalai Lama, he was chosenas a very young child to be the ruler of Tibet. Since that time he has basically not wanted for anything.

In fact, since hisflight to India and the West he has been treated as a spiritual leader, monarch and a kind of pop star - best hotels, first class travel, etc.

He appears to be a very lovely person but...

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”

“And after your death, when most of you for the first time realize what life here is all about, you will begin to see that your life here is almost nothing but the sum total of every choice you have made during every moment of your life. Your thoughts, which you are responsible for, are as real as your deeds. You will begin to realize that every word and every deed affects your life and has also touched thousands of lives.”

“We run after values that, at death, become zero. At the end of your life, nobody asks you how many degrees you have, or how many mansions you built, or how many Rolls Royces you could afford. That’s what dying patients teach you.”

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

- Tyler Durden, Fight Club

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.

I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought I'd rather dance with the cows until you come home.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

Groucho Marx

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful"

Seneca

A ruler would say that, wouldn't he? Except it wouldn't be recorded.

You have to link the source - looks like the quote is bogus. Seneca was a stoic and close to the early christian movement, so that's likely to be a perversion of his view. 0/10.

Samuel Beckett:

"To know so well what one values, what one's value is, as not to neglect those occasions (they are few) on which it may be doubted, is not a common faculty; to retain in the acknowledgment of such enrichment the light, calm and finality that composed it is an extremely rare one. I do not know if the first of these can be acquired; I know that the second cannot."

http://books.google....lues%22&f=false

"You have to link the source - looks like the quote is bogus. Seneca was a stoic and close to the early christian movement, so that's likely to be a perversion of his view. 0/10."

appears you are right, it is a misquote from Edward Gibbon's decline and fall were he gives his opinion of Roman attitudes to religion.

Lyndon Johnson was good for a few quotes:

It's probably better to have him inside the tent pi55ing out, than outside the tent pi55ing in.

On FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover

If the circumstances make it such that you can't f**k a man in the ass, then just peckerslap him. Better to let him know who's in charge than to let him think he's got the keys to the car.

F**k your parliament and your constitution. America is an elephant. Cyprus is a flea. Greece is a flea. If these two fleas continue itching the elephant, they may just get whacked good ...We pay a lot of good American dollars to the Greeks, Mr. Ambassador. If your Prime Minister gives me talk about democracy, parliament and constitution, he, his parliament and his constitution may not last long...

The world lost a great diplomat. :lol::lol: