House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

The Cd To Be Scrapped By Major Labels By The End Of Next Year?

I've never bought a track on itunes, so is the track downloaded on to your PC? What happens if your HD goes bang? Can you get your tracks back somehow? Spending a few hundred / grand, then finding out that they're lost forever would certainly be a kick in the knackers...

AFAIK if you buy from itunes and then somehow lose your collection, they will allow you re-download it. I have a couple of backups though on the basis I'd rather have it and not need it.. etc

Edit - I seem to remember though it was only once you could re-download.

To be honest I rarely buy them nowadays as I listen to the radio a lot (which isn't always so great) or can just chuck a tune up on youtube.

Groove Shark is pretty good. Like Spotify but without the adverts/fees.

Surely you could do that with a record?

I think she wiped it down and put it in the player afterward (although it's a long time since I saw it).

Could you do that with a vinyl LP? Personally I wouldn't try it even with a CD, unless it was one of the more disappointing albums I've bought (In Blue by The Corrs springs to mind).

AFAIK if you buy from itunes and then somehow lose your collection, they will allow you re-download it. I have a couple of backups though on the basis I'd rather have it and not need it.. etc

Edit - I seem to remember though it was only once you could re-download.

iTunes is one of those things that I point blank refuse to have anything to do with.

http://www.side-line...d=46980_0_2_0_C

If true, sod if I'm paying £7 or £8 (the same price as a CD) to itunes for some inferior quality product...

Yep - I noticed on Amazon they vary the recorded mpeg rates from CD to CD to rip you off and sell you inferior compressed sound!

No wonder the music industry lobbied for Worldwide Govts for crackdowns - they must be rubbing their hands with glee at the Global Xtra profits - flogging you electrons instead of a tangible product!

Watch the prices rise for downloads too within a year as their monopoly gains ground!

Just like digital radio is a complete con with massively compressed, weakened sound compared to old FM cos the radio stations share bandwidth to reduce costs/make more profit.

Yep - I noticed on Amazon they vary the recorded mpeg rates from CD to CD to rip you off and sell you inferior compressed sound!

No wonder the music industry lobbied for Worldwide Govts for crackdowns - they must be rubbing their hands with glee at the Global Xtra profits - flogging you electrons instead of a tangible product!

Watch the prices rise for downloads too within a year as their monopoly gains ground!

Just like digital radio is a complete con with massively compressed, weakened sound compared to old FM cos the radio stations share bandwidth to reduce costs/make more profit.

Which is good because that's what people want. If there's more of it, if it's cheaper, and if it's new (because everything must keep changing and be modern - being old is hanging onto the past, being out of date etc. no matter if it's actually better) then that's what we should have. Quality is for sad people who need to get a life.

Makes me sick.

Music industry commits hari-kari again.

The reason why CD sales are declining is because people won't pay £8+ for something that only costs a few pence to manufacture, cut costs and charge £2 or £3 a CD and watch people buy them.

The other problem is the likes of Simon Cowell have done to music what Don King has done to boxing, killed the appeal. If you create a disposable industry don't start crying when people treat it as a disposable commodity.

Agreed. I have bought nearly all the music to which I am ever likely to listen and I wont be doing it again no matter how much they f*ck around with the format.

I would also add that my old vinyl record are still standing up to playing after 40 years just as my old paper books bought in the 1960s can still be read without the need for some electronic DRM ridden gadget.

Why do these companies think why I should want to pay them over and over again to own their back catalogue.

Another classic example of the rent seeking behaviour that rots the foundations of western society.

Agreed. I have bought nearly all the music to which I am ever likely to listen and I wont be doing it again no matter how much they f*ck around with the format.

BD (Blu-ray) Audio discs is the latest one that I've heard of.

OK , MP3s are the way of the future.... :rolleyes:

Surely lossless .flac

(Only joshing you. :D )

I still buy CDs, even though I only listen to mp3s or vinyl these days.

I buy them because GREAT albums can be found on eBay and Amazon Marketplace for virtually nothing. For why pay £7.99+ for a download? Save five quid or more on every album buy ripping it yourself and still be legal (even if the artist isn't getting fresh royalties).

...Save five quid or more on every album buy ripping it yourself and still be legal (even if the artist isn't getting fresh royalties).

The artist does get royalties from second sales, just not directly.

Knowing that your CDs have a second hand value means the real cost of buying a CD is (NEW cost - Second hand cost). That makes a people willing to spend more buying music. Also a part of the collector mindset for some people is the thought that 'this might shoot up in value in the future'.

If no-one bought second-hand music or selling it was made impossible (as with downloaded music) then on average people won't be willing to pay quite as much for the new stuff and so the artists make less money.

What would be the point of recording music in state of the art 72 channel recording studios using thousands of pounds worth of mics and the like, that are so good you can hear the singer scratching his @rse. Then spending shedloads on mixing and mastering only to then flog it as MP3s. :blink:

Sounds mental.