House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Sumvision Cyclone Micro Hdmi Media Player & 1080P Question

I recently purchased a new laptop from ebuyer and while I was shopping decided to buy a new media player - I already have a Sumvision,however it's quite old and doesn't play HD. I had a pc hooked up to my TV which played anything as it's reasonable new but it just seemed like a lot of gear only being used occasionally. So I went for the Cyclone - The unit performs okay so far except that sometimes it will be playing a file and will just skip right on to the next file in the folder - really annoying. I haven't looked into this problem at all but it does bring me onto my question - I have an old PC form factor Biostar 210v with an Athlon 3200xp chip - it was actually a nice fast machine its day - this is the unit I really wanted for my TV,so a few months ago I rather naively and lazily decided that if I replaced the graphics card with something newer it would play HD - I didn't even check,just assumed. So I bought a PNY NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Graphics Card 512MB AGP VGA/DVI-I/TV. I have subsequently realised that even though these units are listed and even boxed with Cuda -they ain't Cuda. So it appears that I can't play HD on this PC - unless anyone has an idea ? The card I replaced is an ati radeon 9600xt 256mb agp - which again was a good unit in its day,cost loads ! I don't suspect there's anyway of getting that old girl to do the trick ? Thanks in advance.

If it is not a HD card - i.e. does not have a HD chip - it ain't a HD card. Sorry.

Best to move on. Doesn't Scan sell some basic HD cards for about 50 quid? Depends what you wish to do I suppose re connectors.

Wouldn't bother upgrading it, even getting os bits working right is a pita, and if you look closely you may well find some of the capacitors oozing gently...

Grab a Revo from ebuyer. http://www.ebuyer.com/279898-acer-aspire-revo-r3700-nettop-pt-semec-036

Use the cyclone (I have the slightly older version, pretty damn good for 15 quid) and something like a popcorn hour or squeezebox duet for music with the old system running some open source fileshare system - or save on the electric costs longer term by getting a synology nas (eg http://www.ebuyer.com/247319-synology-ds211j-2-bay-nas-enclosure-ds211j )

I agree the Revo is a good option.

Ill_handle_it, with regards to your old PC, AFAIK there are no Nvidia cards for AGP that do HD properly (you need a GeForce 8xxx or newer for that), there are some ATI cards though that will work but as RichB said you are better off with a Revo or any similar Nvidia ION (or ION2) based mini-PC.

Here is a decent overview of ION based system available (it's not completely up-to-date but it lists most systems), scroll down for the complete PCs:

http://www.linuxtech.net/features/nvidia_ion_products_overview.html

Or else ask here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Okay thanks for the information - In all honesty I think I'm just being sentimental about the Biostar - it's well past its best and I should have just left the Radeon in the unit and quietly retired it. However I learned a lesson,which is don't assume that doubling the size of something will solve your problem (hmm sounds like QE) ie going from 256mb to 512mb. I now have a pretty much unwanted (but admittedly much quieter without the rattly old fan) card. However I've loaded Linux on the biostar (was windows previously) and hooked it up to the TV and it's fine with anything other than 1080p and boots real fast,at least relatively.

The advice regards building a new unit is appreciated - however I'm looking to move soon and I really need less stuff ! I have managed to reduce down to 3 pc's - I quite recently took a really old form factor pentium 3 to the charity shop - I went once before and it came home with again - sad I know but I have trouble letting hardware go - I had intended to sell my old laptop after just getting a new Asus on Ebuyer - but I doubt I will :o)

Thanks again -

Ps Actually that Revo looks nice !

sad I know but I have trouble letting hardware go - I had intended to sell my old laptop after just getting a new Asus on Ebuyer - but I doubt I will :o)

I know how you feel, I still have a 486DX-100 from 1995 in a cupboard collecting dust (not to mention my original rubber keyboard Sinclair ZX Spectrum from 1984)! :D

The revo is a cracking bit of kit, larger than a paperback but not a whole lot larger. Comes with a vesa bracket, so you can mount it behind the monitor/tv...

Definite space saver.

Okay thanks for the information - In all honesty I think I'm just being sentimental about the Biostar - it's well past its best and I should have just left the Radeon in the unit and quietly retired it. However I learned a lesson,which is don't assume that doubling the size of something will solve your problem (hmm sounds like QE) ie going from 256mb to 512mb. I now have a pretty much unwanted (but admittedly much quieter without the rattly old fan) card. However I've loaded Linux on the biostar (was windows previously) and hooked it up to the TV and it's fine with anything other than 1080p and boots real fast,at least relatively.

The advice regards building a new unit is appreciated - however I'm looking to move soon and I really need less stuff ! I have managed to reduce down to 3 pc's - I quite recently took a really old form factor pentium 3 to the charity shop - I went once before and it came home with again - sad I know but I have trouble letting hardware go - I had intended to sell my old laptop after just getting a new Asus on Ebuyer - but I doubt I will :o)

Thanks again -

I know what you mean and tempted by a Revo myself and might use one to replace this Dell PC. In important consideration these days is energy saving, considering I tend to leave them running. Why netbooks can be good, even just watching telly in bed for just 30 watts of power compared to 150 watt + for the big LCD TV set, plus all the lights and heat.

Well this has now gone full cycle - the pc I had hooked up to my TV originally is back,this is the dual core with a 256mb pci card,nothing fancy but it plays everything even without the card via the motherboard. The Biostar with Linux mint wouldn't even effectively play 720p and that's obviously running with the 512mb card as previously described. I tried various media players some of which performed slightly better,some just shut straight down or froze. It could be the linux developmental drivers (if that's the correct terminology) for the card,in all honesty I just don't know and I'm not inspired enough to find out. I've now decided to put XP back on the unit and see it I can at least get 720p running okay - one question regards this please. The hard drive is a sata 1 and requires a floppy (the press f6 thing). When I install an old sp1 xp disc, all goes well,it asks for the floppy and away it trundles. However when I install xp 2011 with service pack 3 it states that the drivers included are newer than the ones on the floppy - okay fair enough but if I allow the installation to go thru without the f6 floppy I get the blue screen of death with hardrive not found blah blah and if I try to use the f6 floppy (technical stuff eh) it reverts to saying "computer says no" drivers are newer on the installation disc - okay I can install the sp1 disc,however the updates going thru all the packs are horrific !

As for hanging onto hardware etc,I only tend to keep the gear if it's in use. Yes I do have a spectrum and an Amiga (what to do with them !?) however all my pc stuff has gone to the charity shop - the one near me builds the parts up into basic units and sell them for £20 ish. Mind you I did recently find some old windows 95 and windows ME discs as wasn't quite sure what to do with those,I've kept them,but not sure why - coasters perhaps ?

Regards energy costs - yes that makes sense and a perfect excuse to but more kit !