House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Europe Problems Could Wipe 10% Off House Prices Says Taylor Wimpey

The first comment there :

"you do realise that markets are a confidence game and that by writing this nonsense you are effecting them right? What outcome do you want? do you know how to get there? Well if you cant write responsibly then please do everyone a favour and Stop it."

is nearly right....

confidence trick...would be nearer the mark.

They sound like an angry home owner/property expert who doesn't want people to know prices have collapse and prices will continue to do so.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Taylor Wimpey have an 'executive' build of 29 homes near me - build on a hilly bit of land with a very busy but very narrow main road just yards away from the front doors of several of the houses. At the far end of the site, just outside the boundary, is a huge forest of Japanese knotweed. I have talked to lots of people who have said they would never buy there due to location, knotweed and asking prices.

Asking prices - 294K to 549K IIRC.

Apart from the knotweed and being built so close to such a busy road I am as equally shocked by how small the houses look.

I mention this as I wonder if TW is seeing poor sales across the UK? Blaming the EU for a knock on house prices will be convenient perhaps? But then buiding houses on such above sites might also be another reason?

I can only hope that TW is building houses on better sites across the UK?

But perhaps I should pop into their sales office tomorrow and demand 10% additionally off whatever deal they would do for a new build? I could wave the Telegraph in their faces.

There sound to be a lot of upsides to a euro crash. Cheaper housing for one. How in any sane society can that be bad news?

Well, I suppose that is the one thing all of us on here are hoping will come from a Euro crash - a crash in UK house prices.

Taylor Wimpey have an 'executive' build of 29 homes near me - build on a hilly bit of land with a very busy but very narrow main road just yards away from the front doors of several of the houses. At the far end of the site, just outside the boundary, is a huge forest of Japanese knotweed. I have talked to lots of people who have said they would never buy there due to location, knotweed and asking prices.

Asking prices - 294K to 549K IIRC.

Apart from the knotweed and being built so close to such a busy road I am as equally shocked by how small the houses look.

I mention this as I wonder if TW is seeing poor sales across the UK? Blaming the EU for a knock on house prices will be convenient perhaps? But then buiding houses on such above sites might also be another reason?

I can only hope that TW is building houses on better sites across the UK?

But perhaps I should pop into their sales office tomorrow and demand 10% additionally off whatever deal they would do for a new build? I could wave the Telegraph in their faces.

Taylor Wimpey dev near me recently moved from full price to offering shared ownership options. I suppose they test the water first with the full price, then depending on interest move to a new position. Full prices are still significantly more that I would be prepared to pay, but I may pay a visit and make them an offer.

"The worse case scenario … is that a problem in Europe causes a UK banking problem,” he said. “While the underlying housing market is strong, if there was a withdrawal of banking finance obviously that would be negative. In this situation, 10pc could be wiped off house prices"

This is fairly accurately the worst case scenario for the people signed up to this forum, who would be disappointing with just a 10% fall, but I highly doubt that is what the lobotomized spokesman from Taylor Wimpey meant.

Worst case scenario, are you out of your tiny mind, or are you engaging in defensive spin??

Guest spp

I find their 'worst case scenario to be quite optimistic- does this guy even know about the trillions of derivatives out there waiting to blow if an 'event' happens?

:ph34r:

TMT

new homes seem to be an insult to common sense, and so many of them have small windows designed to make the place look bigger from external viewpoints, then inside the showhouses often have small furniture to deceive the eye

"The worse case scenario … is that a problem in Europe causes a UK banking problem,” he said. “While the underlying housing market is strong, if there was a withdrawal of banking finance obviously that would be negative. In this situation, 10pc could be wiped off house prices"

This is fairly accurately the worst case scenario for the people signed up to this forum, who would be disappointing with just a 10% fall, but I highly doubt that is what the lobotomized spokesman from Taylor Wimpey meant.

Worst case scenario, are you out of your tiny mind, or are you engaging in defensive spin??

You couldn't see such a VI coming out and declaring that 60% falls may be on the cards as nobody would touch their product; I wouldn't touch a new build anyway because of the handkerchief of land they're all built on these days due to planning laws.