House Price Crash Forum
Democorruptcy

Edf Just Informed Me Of A New Year Price Increase

Online Saver 7 to standard tariff

Electricty kWh 13.71p from 10.97p

Gas kWH 4.08p from 3.298p

The letter states

"You don't need to lift a finger, from Jan 1st you'll simply see the new tariffs on your bill"

We are probably in for some mild winters from now on so hopefully the prices rises will see a decrease in use of energy which will hit EDF where its hurts

We are probably in for some mild winters from now on so hopefully the prices rises will see a decrease in use of energy which will hit EDF where its hurts

mmm.....

Demand might fall..... but prices whacked up.... so I am paying the same for less and that's bad for EDF?

Nice, I thought Merv said the energy increases were only for this year, at this rate they are going to be feeding perpetually into the inflation figure. It's like inflation only ever goes up... :ph34r: Still I'm sure it won't act as a fiscal drag on the economy.....

Energy will soon be a luxury for the rich.

The letter states

"You don't need to lift a finger, from Jan 1st you'll simply see the new tariffs on your bill"

If that is the set price for all units......what do they charge you on top for the standing charge each year? ;)

If that is the set price for all units......what do they charge you on top for the standing charge each year? ;)

Electric standing charge per day dropping from 22.37p to 14.7p

Gas standing charge per day increasing 21.95p to 23.1p

Time you informed them of a new year customer leaving.

I applied to join EDF Nov 2010 when British Gas announced a price increase.

EDF said it could take 4 weeks to switch.

They didn't manage to switch my gas until 10th June 2011 :lol:

Not sure it makes much difference. They will all hike together.

Might get the boffins at Bletchley Park to calculate me the best deal on their "Bomba" calculating engine.

And how will they know how many units of electricity you consumed before the 1st Jan, and how many after the 1st?

The letter states

Not really a rise though is it, just a reversion from an 'offer' tariff onto the 'scam' standard tariff with the reassurance that being scammed requires you to do nothing. Get over to uSwitch quick - I've heard that Age Concern have a good tariff.

And how will they know how many units of electricity you consumed before the 1st Jan, and how many after the 1st?

I planned to supply a meter reading on 31st Dec anyway because that is the first day I can leave without having an exit fee.

On 20th Oct I supplied a gas reading online and got the bill. £200 in credit next direct debt £1

On 4th November I got a new bill from their reading 2nd Nov, both readings were very close, £200 in credit next direct debit £44 :ph34r:

They predicted £55 a month gas usage but were exhausting my credit at only £11 a month.

I phoned them up and asked why the current interest free loan I was giving them wasn't enough. She crumbled in the end and just asked me how much I wanted to pay :lol:

Edited by Redhat Sly

Redhat - I've just taken a look: Scottish Power have a Dual Fuel tariff fixed until Jan 2013 without any standing charges - on typical consumption this would be about 5-6% more than your old deal. Use a cashback site to switch and the difference could be even less.

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/comparison/results/scottishpower/online-fixed-price-january-2013/dual_fuel

Have you tried/heard of ebico?

Yes I used ebico a few years ago but EDF were better when I last switched. They are supposed to be non profit making but charge direct debit customers more to reduce charges for pre-pay customers?

Redhat - I've just taken a look: Scottish Power have a Dual Fuel tariff fixed until Jan 2013 without any standing charges - on typical consumption this would be about 5-6% more than your old deal. Use a cashback site to switch and the difference could be even less.

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/comparison/results/scottishpower/online-fixed-price-january-2013/dual_fuel

Thanks I'll have a look nearer the time.

Have you heard of the "Gas Transportation Charge"?

British Gas absorb it in their tariff I only found out that EDF don't after I had switched. They tricked me :(

E.ON (or EDF) sent a door to door energy salesman round the other day. I thought that this practice was now banned?

Tried to show how much cheaper they were, and attempted to lure me with a free energy meter (which I've already got with BG) but wasn't having any of it.

Just decided to use a lot less fuel instead!

Wish it would all go back to part/semi/wholly nationalised to be honest. Good old CEGB, YEB and the Gas Board.

Edited by John Steed

E.ON (or EDF) sent a door to door energy salesman round the other day. I thought that this practice was now banned?

Not banned. A lot of the industry has simply chosen not to do it anymore because of the bad publicity.

I know this as I was working on a project which was providing one of the big 6's salesmen with laptops with up to date prices and it all got canned about 6 weeks after going live. Ho hum.

Does it matter there ain't much between prices of any of the companys, they all follow suit, this switching idea is just a con.

Not banned. A lot of the industry has simply chosen not to do it anymore because of the bad publicity.

I know this as I was working on a project which was providing one of the big 6's salesmen with laptops with up to date prices and it all got canned about 6 weeks after going live. Ho hum.

Heh, this guy had a state of the art, tablet thingy!

Electric standing charge per day dropping from 22.37p to 14.7p

Gas standing charge per day increasing 21.95p to 23.1p

....my supplier charges a two tier tariff system that works 12.25p a day elec and 4.37p a day gas...as long as you use over 900kWh of elec and 23680 khw of gas.....after that it is 11.708p for elec and 3.372p for gas.

These energy companies need to make their charges more clear and understandable.....I think they love to blind and confuse us so much so that we do not, or can't work out what we are paying, so therefore can't compare like for like with other suppliers.....it is scandalous and the regulators are doing very little to correct it. :ph34r: