House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Bart'

Private Health Assessments

As someone of a "certain age" (45, nearly 46) the subject of my health is becoming more uppermost in my mind. Both my parents died young by today's standards and I do seem to be inheriting some of my father's health problems (arthritis is just staring to kick in for example).

I'm tempted by one of the health assessment screenings offered by the likes of BUPA or BMI Healthcare.

Anyone had one of these? Was it worth the money? Should I just rely on my local GP?

As someone of a "certain age" (45, nearly 46) the subject of my health is becoming more uppermost in my mind. Both my parents died young by today's standards and I do seem to be inheriting some of my father's health problems (arthritis is just staring to kick in for example).

I'm tempted by one of the health assessment screenings offered by the likes of BUPA or BMI Healthcare.

Anyone had one of these? Was it worth the money? Should I just rely on my local GP?

I had one of those about 18 months ago, as a perk of my (then) job. At an age just marginally older than you, being about the age my father had his heart attack, and several years older than my uncle (on my mother's side) died. That is, the uncle I most resembled :ph34r: So I guess my health concerns were not unlike yours, too.

Not at all comparable to a GP - they actually treated me as a client as opposed to just an annoyance. Almost the level of service you get from a vet.

Not obviously much use either. They basically told me what I knew already and didn't have solutions for anything, and suggested I take the (minor) matters arising to my (known to be useless) GP. So no followup. Neither were they able to depart from the script and advise me on a couple of chronic issues I'm aware of.

See the GP about the arthritis.

They may do without asking - BP your cholesterol. But if they don't ask if they can be done.

See the GP about the arthritis.

They may do without asking - BP your cholesterol. But if they don't ask if they can be done.

They're bound to do BP and cholesterol: they get paid extra for every one they do :ph34r:

Cheers guys, you've convinced me. I shall see my GP.

Not at all comparable to a GP - they actually treated me as a client as opposed to just an annoyance.

I must admit that aspect appeals to me. My local GP isn't that bad, but they don't really have much time to spare.

Just to add. I had to do a blood screen and lung x-ray for a medical at work. Had it done at my local GP non problem and he sat me down and took me through the results.. Can't fault the service received.

I had to pay for it though, presumably because it was for a job and not because of any specific concerns.