House Price Crash Forum

For me the house price crash 'officially' happened this evening at precisely 21:19 hours and 15 seconds...

... my Mum told me prices were dropping faster than Mr Freds Y's in a Turkish Bath. :lol::lol::lol::P

When did your family catch on, if they have? :unsure::unsure::unsure::blink:

My family are showing no sign of believing house prices are or will be coming down.

My mum's constantly telling me I should be looking to buy, house prices aren't going to fall, blah blah blah!! She's constantly going on about how my uncle and his partner have about 5 properties now blah blah blah!!

Then after hours of telling her I'm not ready to buy, I believe prices will fall, and I don't want to swap the 3-bed semi i'm living comfortably in, for a 1 or 2 bed shoebox flat....I see my father-in-law (who's an IFA) and he says, "bout time you bought"....AARRGGHH!!!!!!!

I normally have a sensible discussion with him tho, and when I mention everything from this site, I get some hope with the, "hmmmm" response...only for him to then say, "I can't see prices falling...low unemployment and low interest rates, blah blah blah"....AARRGGHH!!!!!

I've still not figured out what their responses will be when/if (I HOPE IT'S 'WHEN'!!!) house prices eventually fall big time......

hmmmmmm...... :lol:

Edited by Chewy the bear

Sorry to confuse you BTD it was aimed at Shaker’s first post

I'm confused now. Are you Bored Train Builder changed your job or are you Bored train Driver another poster? If so pleased to meet you.

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

My father last night was saying that house prices had never been affordable.

My parents home had cost him £20,000 when he was earning £8000

(approximate...) but it was 2.5 times his salary... three bed detached backing onto fields..

and he was earning less then the average salary..

he would not accept that his son would find it more expensive when it is now worth £250,000..

which is about ten times his sons salary..

My dad, bless his insane soul...

Would not accept that it was harder to buy now..

poingint out that proportionally it was 500% more expensive..

no.. that fell on deaf ears..

pointing out that his car would have cost £70,000 and asking him if he would have found that hard to find..

anyway... parents...

bless them..

They have been used to periods of massive inflation.. Something we will never see..

or will we?

Personally I think that will be resisted.. it will go up.. but house prices will actually fall

My mum has no opinion on house prices she’s been dead for six years.

My mum's still alive and kicking, but she has no opinion on house prices either. Well, until I show her the local rag at which point she says "Shocking! How on earth do they expect normal people to afford that!?"

Nomadd

I had a conversation with my dad about 2 months ago (72 years) that went something like this:

Me: we're not buying yet...it's too expensive and we are waiting for house prices to fall

Him: you're doing the right thing..they can't stay like this..the guy next door has his house up for £280K..it just isn't worth it...who could afford to buy that? I was thinking last year about about Selling to Rent for a while then buying back when prices fall but it's too much at my age so I am just going to stay put.

How refreshing :)

My wife is constantly getting hassle from her so-called friends

“Why haven’t you bought yet?” and “Look how much house prices have gone up!” and my favourite “I don’t think I could handle renting” – as if renting is somehow akin living in squalor. The fact is, we rent a nice 4 bed place at much less than a mortgage would cost and we have capital invested which earning us a nice return. But they can’t see that. It’s as if property is the only investment around worth making.

I think these women actually feel sorry for my wife and that it is MY fault for being so stubborn. One actually said to her “Oh dear, can’t you talk him around?” That really wound me up. Our financial business is exactly that - OUR business. I don’t criticize their financial decisions. The problem is this female peer pressure is incredibly powerful and it is actually causing problems for us now.

I wish we could answer back with evidence of house price falls. But we can’t (at least not yet), we are in Ireland!!!

Please can I have solace and kind words to cheer me up. :(

My wife is constantly getting hassle from her so-called friends

“Why haven’t you bought yet?” and “Look how much house prices have gone up!” and my favourite “I don’t think I could handle renting” – as if renting is somehow akin living in squalor. The fact is, we rent a nice 4 bed place at much less than a mortgage would cost and we have capital invested which earning us a nice return. But they can’t see that. It’s as if property is the only investment around worth making.

I think this is because property is the only investement Joe Schmoe has. Seriously, most Britons dont even have an ISA so how do you expect them to consider that money is sometimes not best invested in bricks and mortar alone?

I think these women actually feel sorry for my wife and that it is MY fault for being so stubborn. One actually said to her “Oh dear, can’t you talk him around?” That really wound me up. Our financial business is exactly that - OUR business. I don’t criticize their financial decisions. The problem is this female peer pressure is incredibly powerful and it is actually causing problems for us now.

Flash, I have exactly the same problem, I call it 'house envy' and it drives me up the frickin' wall :angry:

You have my sympathy.

Although I have to say, 'baby envy' is even worse! :blink:

Flash, I have exactly the same problem, I call it 'house envy' and it drives me up the frickin' wall :angry:

You have my sympathy.

Although I have to say, 'baby envy' is even worse! :blink:

Thanks ICTOA. I could understand 'house envy' if their home was better or bigger, but they are not. The difference is, we don't have a huge debt against ours. :)

Ah 'baby envy'....resistance is futile in my experience! :lol:

For me the house price crash 'officially' happened this evening at precisely 21:19 hours and 15 seconds...

... my Mum told me prices were dropping faster than Mr Freds Y's in a Turkish Bath. :lol::lol::lol::P

When did your family catch on, if they have? :unsure::unsure::unsure::blink:

last tuesday evening. around 8:15pm.

quite a relief really :-)

just annoyed that it must have been some crappy mainstream article that finally convinced them rather the highly informed rantings of their "nutjob" daughter. :-(

That a Class 319. I (sort of) built those. They're dual voltage.

Yawn.

"Sort Of" being the important part !!! LOL!!!

Yep 319...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My parents nag nag nag...buy a house.

My wife's parents are the same.

And 2 of my best mates bought in March and June of 2004!!! :o:o:blink::o

Luckily one of them got a huge discount cos it was the last one to sell in Phase2 of the estate before they were allowed to start Phase3...so he has got a bit of a cushion (about 60k) if/when they drop.

Edited by Bored Train Driver

I see my father-in-law (who's an IFA) and he says, "bout time you bought"....AARRGGHH!!!!!!!

He sounds a real adviser - not at all a product flogger who doesn't understand the 1st thing about finance, tax or econ. Oh no - a real adviser.

**** me! :angry: