House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Scenic Costal Places To Visit In Scotland?

It's that time of year when I realise I have several days holiday to use-or-lose before Christmas.

I don't want to waste money going abroad, and I don't want to be anywhere near city centres during Christmas shopping mania.

Sooo.... Thinking of taking a 3 or 4 day driving holiday around Scotland, I like the idea of some nice coastal views and seeing as much of the country as possible.

The thing is:

I've never been north of Glasgow / Edinburgh before

I've no idea where to go (though the North west is alluring for some reason)

I've no idea where to stay ( but thinking B&B )

Throwing myself at the mercy of the forum..

Has anyone been before and have any suggestions?

Is it safe for an Englishman to stray north of the boarder?

And does anyone know where Guitarman lives so I can circumnavigate it :D

It's that time of year when I realise I have several days holiday to use-or-lose before Christmas.

I don't want to waste money going abroad, and I don't want to be anywhere near city centres during Christmas shopping mania.

Sooo.... Thinking of taking a 3 or 4 day driving holiday around Scotland, I like the idea of some nice coastal views and seeing as much of the country as possible.

The thing is:

I've never been north of Glasgow / Edinburgh before

I've no idea where to go (though the North west is alluring for some reason)

I've no idea where to stay ( but thinking B&B )

Throwing myself at the mercy of the forum..

Has anyone been before and have any suggestions?

Is it safe for an Englishman to stray north of the boarder?

And does anyone know where Guitarman lives so I can circumnavigate it :D

Loch Awe

I've always wanted to explore Caithness & Sutherland...may do it one day.... When do the roads start getting "a bit dodgy"? I hear they boil Englishmen...

Loch Awe

Kyle of Lochalsh.

They both look amazing.. that's the first two stops planned :)

I didn't realise you could just drive onto the isle of Skye..

I've always wanted to explore Caithness & Sutherland...may do it one day.... When do the roads start getting "a bit dodgy"? I hear they boil Englishmen...

Good point.. I might not be going until December :ph34r:

Cheers.. I'll bookmark that.

Looking on Google maps it seems dual carriageways are considered a bit of a luxury North of Glasgow..

Speaking to a Scottish girl I work with, if your Inverness way, and you want to go south on the A9, and its closed, you've got to round the top then down (Aberdeen way)...

They both look amazing.. that's the first two stops planned :)

I didn't realise you could just drive onto the isle of Skye..

Glencoe. Stunning. Then drive up the Great Glen to Inverness. Have a wander around the Culloden battlefield and wonder what on earth possessed them to fight there...

Another vote for Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye.

If you are over west, Oban is nice (try the distillery!), followed by a boat trip to the 3rd largest whirlpool in the world:

http://en.wikipedia....of_Corryvreckan

Very close to which is Barnhill, where Orwell wrote 1984. However, getting there is easier said than done. You've got to go to Jura (which in itself involves going across Islay) and then right to the farthest end of the island from where the boat arrives. The road runs out around 4-5 miles before the house itself, and the only way to do the last part of the journey is to walk. When I did it on a family holiday as a teenager, it started raining like buggery shortly after I embarked on the return walk. It didn't take me long to work out why Orwell died of TB, having chosen to live there, the masochistic twit.

Check out the Cairngorms national park, and Braemar is a lovely little town. Up there you can visit Balmoral castle.

Perhaps go over to Skye, visit the Glenfinnan Viaduct, and Oban.

Or get over to the other coast. Edinburgh is nice, but expect to pay dearly for a night out in comparison to the west coast. Personally I think you get a better night out in Glasgow, but that's only my opinion.

Inverness is a lovely little city, and there is always the highlands if you have the time.

If you are skint, or a cheapskate, there are plenty of hostels around the touristy places, and its cheaper than B&B's, plus you will meet other travellers.

I drove 'round' Scotland a few years ago.

From Edinburgh up to Inverness then up to Thurso across the top to Durness and then down the west cost through Ullapool and Fort William then cross country to Edinburgh.

It was all pretty amazing but I did love the remoteness of Durness/Cape Wrath the most - though given the remoteness it should probably be best done in Summer when there is more than a couple of hours of daylight...

A bit less remote I would also recommend (as others) going to Glen Coe and I really want to go to Skye one day as everyone I know who has been loves it. Oh and Loch Lomond is lovely too.

My only concern would be the lack of daylight you are likely to experience - particularly if the weather is poor as it get dark early here in Scotland just now - black by 5.00 in Edinburgh just now nad it will be worse further north.

\Regarding accomodation keep an eye on Groupon etc. a work collegue has had several weekends away in fancy hotels recently for very good prices. Other than that I have almost always had good experiences in B&B's

Here's a little route for you:

http://g.co/maps/q2tss

It would be one day in summer, but 2 days in Winter. There are also sections (like the Applecross pass) that are likely to be closed in the event of snow. There are alternative roads, however.

Because there has been a fair bit of snow sporadically for the last couple of winters, I would try and book places to stay last minute. Do your research about where is open in winter (many small B&B, hotels, etc. close from November - March) so you have a few options.

Calgary bay on the Isle of Mull. On a nice day you could be in Barbados. And you can camp for free!

Calgary%20bay.JPG

He is planning on going in December ya muppet !!

Libspero - do you need to drive ? There is a cracking Fife coastal route from North Queensferry to Tayport. About an 80 mile walk that would be easy over 4 days. Done about a quarter of it myself on my bike. You could start it from Barnton as well and get an extra lovely walk through dalmeny estate. Stunning. PS - that is Arthurs Seat in the background.

Fife coastal path

Dalmeny.jpg

post-9648-0-10470300-1320393994_thumb.jpg

Here's a little route for you:

http://g.co/maps/q2tss

It would be one day in summer, but 2 days in Winter. There are also sections (like the Applecross pass) that are likely to be closed in the event of snow. There are alternative roads, however.

Because there has been a fair bit of snow sporadically for the last couple of winters, I would try and book places to stay last minute. Do your research about where is open in winter (many small B&B, hotels, etc. close from November - March) so you have a few options.

Glencoe is on my route... as is Eilean Donan castle,

_56326197_eilean_donan.jpg

Applecross - the pass of the cattle:

road_south_of_applecross_and_bealach_na_ba2.jpg

and Loch Torridon:

Sunset-Loch-Torridon-ntl.jpg

And the option of a trip to Skye:

West coast is generally nicer, but if you do get up to the right hand side to see Braemar (not exactly coastal though) then Dunottar castle is a grand place to visit.

I have to agree with the posters who have queried the timing of such a trip. While I would be more than happy to see more visitors to our country, you really need to bear in mind it's only light up north from around 9am to 4pm. Plus if it snows you might find yourself unable to head back south until it has been cleared (we have "snow gates" on certain roads). Although to be fair the worst of the snow doesn't tend to hit until after New Year.

Don't want to put you off, just want to make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for!