House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
inflating

How Can I Send A Notice To Ll If Only Address Is A Po Box?

I officially only have a PO Box

My own research suggests the LL has at least 2 other addresses, but I cannot be sure of which is definitely his

I have asked Royal Mail to tell me who owns the PO Box (they are supposed to do that) but no reply as yet and I need to send a notice very shortly

Letting agent are not managing and deny knowledge of any other address

So, how do I prove I asked LL for tenancy deposit scheme details, for the gas safety cert, to agree the omitted damage on the inventory, for any notice of termination I send if he ignores emails and I have no eligible and definite address to send a recorded delivery letter to?

I officially only have a PO Box

My own research suggests the LL has at least 2 other addresses, but I cannot be sure of which is definitely his

I have asked Royal Mail to tell me who owns the PO Box (they are supposed to do that) but no reply as yet and I need to send a notice very shortly

Letting agent are not managing and deny knowledge of any other address

So, how do I prove I asked LL for tenancy deposit scheme details, for the gas safety cert, to agree the omitted damage on the inventory, for any notice of termination I send if he ignores emails and I have no eligible and definite address to send a recorded delivery letter to?

Is the LL a limited compnay? If so, you can find the company's registered address via Companies House.

Get on to your council housing officer rather than leave it until he does one with your deposit, don't pay rent-the act is clear no address no rent.

There isn't one for private tenants at this local authority apparently!! Thats what they said on the phone

The AST drawn up by the agent gives the PO Box as the address to serve notices. When I asked a rival LA about the PO Box he didn't seem to think a PO Box was a problem but wasn't definite. Rival LA also said the rent's due regardless of PO Box or not. ARLA said they cannot help

This is what I mean - no one out there to help, Shelter might be trying but on what - a shoestring?

There isn't one for private tenants at this local authority apparently!! Thats what they said on the phone

The AST drawn up by the agent gives the PO Box as the address to serve notices. When I asked a rival LA about the PO Box he didn't seem to think a PO Box was a problem but wasn't definite. Rival LA also said the rent's due regardless of PO Box or not. ARLA said they cannot help

This is what I mean - no one out there to help, Shelter might be trying but on what - a shoestring?

My personal opinion (IANAL) is that you cannot serve notice to a POBox (but it would be down to a court to make that judgement call, speak to a solicitor, not one of the gimps, at CAB they should know one way or'tother or indeed avail yourself of the free first contact with a solicitor) and the act is quite clear that if no address for notices is given then rent is not due. Not sure about the council, you probably spoke to one of the many morons the state employs but as I say unsure. ARLA are as much use as a chocolate fireguard, they're like the RSC (my profession) big boys club and nothing more. You could check the land registry for the registered owners address, if it's the same as yours then they are literally getting you to pay the mortgage and the morgtage company doesn't know it's being let so stick him in it with them as well.

Edit to add, I had a look on landlordzone and there seems to be a split on whether you can use a PO box or not. Maybe ask on there as they deal with this carp as a business (at least in the loosest sense)

Edited by zebbedee

My personal opinion (IANAL) is that you cannot serve notice to a POBox (but it would be down to a court to make that judgement call, speak to a solicitor, not one of the gimps, at CAB they should know one way or'tother or indeed avail yourself of the free first contact with a solicitor) and the act is quite clear that if no address for notices is given then rent is not due. Not sure about the council, you probably spoke to one of the many morons the state employs but as I say unsure. ARLA are as much use as a chocolate fireguard, they're like the RSC (my profession) big boys club and nothing more. You could check the land registry for the registered owners address, if it's the same as yours then they are literally getting you to pay the mortgage and the morgtage company doesn't know it's being let so stick him in it with them as well.

Edit to add, I had a look on landlordzone and there seems to be a split on whether you can use a PO box or not. Maybe ask on there as they deal with this carp as a business (at least in the loosest sense)

:)

Thanks for all that, good ideas there - am feeling motivated again!

It is a legal requirement that a landlord provide a UK address where you can serve papers to him. As a PO Box is not a physical address, you cannot serve papers in person, and therefore a PO box does not fulfil this requirement.

Note that the LL does not have to provide his address - merely a UK address where legal papers can be served (e.g. a friend, letting agent, solicitor, etc.)

It is a legal requirement that a landlord provide a UK address where you can serve papers to him. As a PO Box is not a physical address, you cannot serve papers in person, and therefore a PO box does not fulfil this requirement.

Note that the LL does not have to provide his address - merely a UK address where legal papers can be served (e.g. a friend, letting agent, solicitor, etc.)

Yes, well PO box is all I have unless I speculate on which of the other addresses are his, by matching the PO box postcode up. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out, the omens so far aren't good

Have you checked the Land Registry to see who is the owner of your flat and if that gives an address?

Sorry not to be much help.

My local council had a Tenants Advisory department and when I had a similar problem they tackled the LA and then the LL for me.

Have you checked the Land Registry to see who is the owner of your flat and if that gives an address?

Sorry not to be much help.

My local council had a Tenants Advisory department and when I had a similar problem they tackled the LA and then the LL for me.

Thanks, will try to find time to go to the council next week and find out if they really don't have anyone doing that job. LR, yes can check it but he bought a long time ago so any address will be out of date I reckon and that's the problem - a string of addresses for him in the same town but no idea which is his current one