House Price Crash Forum

£45,000 Salary Needed To Buy Home In Bristol

Visitor

It's going to take too many months of these tiny drops as we're seeing to rebalance this so expect a housing crisis in the meantime and some interesting political remedies.

No mortgages for over 45 either, according to Telegraph a few days ago.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/pound-45-000-salary-needed-buy-home-Bristol/story-13731145-detail/story.html

It's going to take too many months of these tiny drops as we're seeing to rebalance this so expect a housing crisis in the meantime and some interesting political remedies.

No mortgages for over 45 either, according to Telegraph a few days ago.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/pound-45-000-salary-needed-buy-home-Bristol/story-13731145-detail/story.html

There are plenty of houses cheaper than 210K in Bristol, people (sellers and buyers) need to get real here, if you are in a low paid job you arent going to end up in sneyd park and conversely your crappy semi in downend isnt worth the price of a nice little place in the country, I have been watching the local market for years as I am one of the trapped (house paid off-cant afford to go up now Ive got a family !) and the scene in Bristol is schizo ! The employment prospects in Bristol are on the downward trend, aircraft, insurance, banking all downsizing or outsourcing and no replacement jobs other than service or retail = Death spiral . I have spent time in Germany recently and whatever happens they are still the workers in Europe, they know that to be successful you need to make things be it abstract (software etc) or real (robotics). You can argue over your skinny latte as much as you want thats the facts, as I was told in school (good ol mr Adams) in life its a chinese laundry, NO tickee No washee, get off your asses and work not shirk !

• 1 month later...

There are plenty of houses cheaper than 210K in Bristol, people (sellers and buyers) need to get real here, if you are in a low paid job you arent going to end up in sneyd park and conversely your crappy semi in downend isnt worth the price of a nice little place in the country, I have been watching the local market for years as I am one of the trapped (house paid off-cant afford to go up now Ive got a family !)

I'm looking as you quote crappy semi in downend. I'm not from the area but you don't seem to get much north bristol and downend seems to be regarded ok.

Any example of places in country you mention for similar prices to what downend average is?

There are plenty of houses cheaper than 210K in Bristol, people (sellers and buyers) need to get real here, if you are in a low paid job you arent going to end up in sneyd park and conversely your crappy semi in downend isnt worth the price of a nice little place in the country, I have been watching the local market for years as I am one of the trapped (house paid off-cant afford to go up now Ive got a family !) and the scene in Bristol is schizo ! The employment prospects in Bristol are on the downward trend, aircraft, insurance, banking all downsizing or outsourcing and no replacement jobs other than service or retail = Death spiral . I have spent time in Germany recently and whatever happens they are still the workers in Europe, they know that to be successful you need to make things be it abstract (software etc) or real (robotics). You can argue over your skinny latte as much as you want thats the facts, as I was told in school (good ol mr Adams) in life its a chinese laundry, NO tickee No washee, get off your asses and work not shirk !

A few points,

210k is a lot of money to most people.

Who would want to live in Sneyd park? Everybody there will be better than you.

For the price of a semi in Downend you could buy a very nice place in the country.

How are you trapped if your house is paid off?

What is a skinny latte? I've just found out an americano is a normal coffee and i'm sticking with that.

Chinese laundry? Stick it in a washing machine and air in public my good man.

What is a skinny latte? I've just found out an americano is a normal coffee and i'm sticking with that.

"americano" is Italian for an Instant Coffee! Is that another Italian word we've adopted but messed up in translation?

As for Brisl, I just took a look on zoopla around where I used to live[1]. Thought Brisl had become expensive, so I was surprised to see 2- and 3-bed houses for just £80k, and nothing over £90k in the immediate neighbourhood. Looks pretty affordable to me!

[1] A couple of minutes walk from Stapleton Road station.

"americano" is Italian for an Instant Coffee! Is that another Italian word we've adopted but messed up in translation?

As for Brisl, I just took a look on zoopla around where I used to live[1]. Thought Brisl had become expensive, so I was surprised to see 2- and 3-bed houses for just £80k, and nothing over £90k in the immediate neighbourhood. Looks pretty affordable to me!

[1] A couple of minutes walk from Stapleton Road station.

I don't quite believe this. I just did a search around Stapleton Road station, 2/3 beds, 'this area only' and this was the only one under £100k: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20627310.html. Most stuff in Easton looks to be £120k+.

If by 'nearby' the houses you found were in Saint Pauls, then well, you do know that's where there was rioting this summer? I presume the local schools will be really bad if they share their intake with Saint Pauls as well.

Edit: I thought Americano was a watered down expresso rather than instant. Although I guess in Italy watering down a good expresso is a similar crime to drinking instant so it's the same really.

Edited by efdemin

I don't quite believe this. I just did a search around Stapleton Road station, 2/3 beds, 'this area only' and this was the only one under £100k: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20627310.html. Most stuff in Easton looks to be £120k+.

If by 'nearby' the houses you found were in Saint Pauls, then well, you do know that's where there was rioting this summer? I presume the local schools will be really bad if they share their intake with Saint Pauls as well.

Edit: I thought Americano was a watered down expresso rather than instant. Although I guess in Italy watering down a good expresso is a similar crime to drinking instant so it's the same really.

Nearest: two houses in St.Nicholas Road, both at £80k.

Next: Carlyle Road, £80k.

Next: Fishponds Road, £95k.

Next: two in Boswell Street, £79-85k.

... etc.

That's asking prices. Didn't check sold prices.

That's just the map view on zoopla. Typed in Bristol, clicked map view, then zoomed in on that area.

The message seems to be, if you want to buy in Bristol on average pay then you can buy! As an antidote to the barmy idea from the nutjob wing of HPC that average pay and a modest deposit should get you straight in to the kind of house that carries a £210k asking price in Bristol.

Nearest: two houses in St.Nicholas Road, both at £80k.

Next: Carlyle Road, £80k.

Next: Fishponds Road, £95k.

Next: two in Boswell Street, £79-85k.

... etc.

That's asking prices. Didn't check sold prices.

That's just the map view on zoopla. Typed in Bristol, clicked map view, then zoomed in on that area.

The message seems to be, if you want to buy in Bristol on average pay then you can buy! As an antidote to the barmy idea from the nutjob wing of HPC that average pay and a modest deposit should get you straight in to the kind of house that carries a £210k asking price in Bristol.

The two in St Nicholas Park seem to be the same one by two agents, based on the main photo.

The one in Carlyle road is an auction 'in need of refurbishment' i.e. it is a shit heap that needs work to make it habitable.

The ones on Boswell street are both one-bed flats in a converted terrace.

None of these are average properties or even liveable for a family. They are the bottom of the barrel. And even then you will need £8,000-£16,000 to put down as a deposit which will take how long to save on a low wage?

The fact that you would have to consider houses as poor as this as 'affordable' shows how much the market in Bristol still needs to move down.

The two in St Nicholas Park seem to be the same one by two agents, based on the main photo.

One two-bed, one three-bed?

The one in Carlyle road is an auction 'in need of refurbishment' i.e. it is a shit heap that needs work to make it habitable.

The ones on Boswell street are both one-bed flats in a converted terrace.

Heh. Didn't look at that level of detail.

None of these are average properties or even liveable for a family.

Bolux. Place I lived there was very much in that league (it's a poor area). Next door was a big Asian family all packed into a tiny house. Go back to the post-war era and those places would be a dream for a working-class family.

(though it was a much nicer place to live than the places I suffered in London. Partly due to a landlord I got on with, partly to a much better feel to the area - pubs one could go into without feeling threatened, etc, and it had working hot water).

They are the bottom of the barrel. And even then you will need £8,000-£16,000 to put down as a deposit which will take how long to save on a low wage?

The fact that you would have to consider houses as poor as this as 'affordable' shows how much the market in Bristol still needs to move down.

In summary, they are FTB homes!

One two-bed, one three-bed?

Heh. Didn't look at that level of detail.

Bolux. Place I lived there was very much in that league (it's a poor area). Next door was a big Asian family all packed into a tiny house. Go back to the post-war era and those places would be a dream for a working-class family.

(though it was a much nicer place to live than the places I suffered in London. Partly due to a landlord I got on with, partly to a much better feel to the area - pubs one could go into without feeling threatened, etc, and it had working hot water).

In summary, they are FTB homes!

Two things: One, the prices of these house are out of the reach of a modern-day 'working-class family', especially as FTB's. Two, they're also a stretch for someone on a decent graduate salary (after student loan repayments and the rest). They'd be better off renting and saving up to get a better house when they want to settle down.

When you lived there, did you have family in tow or were you single(ish) and living a life of lots of going out on the town etc.? They're fine for that, but not much use for a family. Unless you personally would like to raise a family in the same manner as that Asian family you used to live next to?

Sorry porca, but it is a rough area. Like many parts of Bristol (and elsewhere) you could be fine living there during your youth or family time and be alright, but that does not mean it is a nice area, nor a choice for anyone looking to move to the city and raise a family.

article

In the interest of fairness it really isn't anywhere as bad as the article claims, but that there is an article at all is damning.

Of course it wasn't exactly a nice area! Looked like a bomb-site (the google pics look smartened-up since my time). And the police wouldn't get out of their cars!

But I had the shock of London fresh(ish) in my mind. In Peckham I'd poked my nose into the pub on my road, and it was 100% black, and didn't give a welcoming impression. Another nearby was 100% white and felt thoroughly dead. By contrast, the pub by Stapleton Road station was friendly and sociable. Though going in with my landlord, who knew everyone there, may have helped with making it that!

• 1 year later...

I'm on the cusp of making offers for my first ever property. Whilst there is a frustrating lack of quality, affordable (to an average earner) housing in decent areas in Bristol, there are houses out there that a couple, both on average salaries, could quite comfortably afford. I'm talking of prices much lower than £200k, which is well beyond my means. Having said that, I've yet to make a mortgage application so I might not be able to afford any house! I am fairly confident of getting a mortgage, though.

I'm on the cusp of making offers for my first ever property. Whilst there is a frustrating lack of quality, affordable (to an average earner) housing in decent areas in Bristol, there are houses out there that a couple, both on average salaries, could quite comfortably afford. I'm talking of prices much lower than £200k, which is well beyond my means. Having said that, I've yet to make a mortgage application so I might not be able to afford any house! I am fairly confident of getting a mortgage, though.

Which areas / types of properties are you looking at currently? I agree there's lots under £200k which is affordable for most people on a decent salary with a decent deposit. That said will it still be affordable if interest rates go up.

Personally I think property prices are stagnant in Bristol - if I can earn 3-4% on my deposit in a bank account I might as well do this, continue to pay my low rent and buy further down the line.