House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Report Says New York Fed Didn’T Cut Deals On A.i.g.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/business/gao-says-new-york-fed-failed-to-push-aig-concessions.html?_r=1&ref=business

The findings of a federal investigation released Monday raised new questions about the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s handling of the 2008 bailout of American International Group.

The report, by the Government Accountability Office, says that New York Fed officials have offered inconsistent explanations for their decision to pay other financial companies the full amounts they were owed by A.I.G., and that some of the explanations were contradicted by other evidence.

The report also asserts that the decision to pay the full amounts, rather than seeking concessions as the government later did in other cases, disregarded the expectations of senior Fed officials in Washington and the expressed willingness of some of the companies to accept smaller payments.

The New York Fed declined to comment on the specific account of the negotiations. Officials of the bank, including Timothy F. Geithner, then the president of the New York Fed and now the Treasury secretary, have testified that they needed to act quickly to prevent greater damage to the financial system, and that they chose the approach that was most likely to succeed and easiest to enact.

The bank said in a statement Monday that it had “put together an effective lending program that minimized disruption to the economy from A.I.G. while safeguarding the taxpayer interest.”

Ah yes safeguarding the taxpayer interest by ensuring the bankers get 100% of their money back.

I wish the bookies did this I might take up gambling.