House Price Crash Forum

Meanwhile...back In The Uk

HOLA441

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31951846.html

"4 bedroom detached house for saleOffers in Excess of£139,950"

"£50,000 REDUCTION The Express Estate Agency offers this ATTRACTIVELY PRICED PROPERTY to buyers who are in a position to buy relatively swiftly. This property is PRICED LOW to encourage a quicker than normal sale. "

this is the first modern detached shoe box build under 170 K i've seen in Northampton for many's a long year.

They might be hoping for a bidding war, thought I'm tempted to start off at 100K :P

According to zoopla...no sales in that street since 2007 and last 4 bed sale was:

16th Dec 2003

1 Stephen Bennett Close, Northampton NN5 6PH

Detached, Freehold, 4 Beds, 2 Baths, 2 Receps - Edit

£186,000

( I think the one for sale is No 3 but No 1 on the corner looks very similar, as is the fashion with shoe box housing ).

I hate to say it but...it's STILL over-priced :lol::lol::lol:

Welcome to the fear phase !!!!

HOLA442

Jesus, that's some reduction, and RELATIVE to other detached houses that is technically, at this moment in time, a bargain.

Look at the size of the rooms, though... I could buy a house like that but for £160k or so (including a 35 mile trip to work)... but the rooms are so small.

HOLA443
HOLA444

But this is quite clearly just a sh1t house that no-one wants. It doesn't tell us anything about national house prices, just that sh1t houses are difficult to offload in today's climate.

"£50,000 REDUCTION The Express Estate Agency offers this ATTRACTIVELY PRICED PROPERTY to buyers who are in a position to buy relatively swiftly. This property is PRICED LOW to encourage a quicker than normal sale. "

this is the first modern detached shoe box build under 170 K i've seen in Northampton for many's a long year.

They might be hoping for a bidding war, thought I'm tempted to start off at 100K :P

According to zoopla...no sales in that street since 2007 and last 4 bed sale was:

16th Dec 2003

£186,000

( I think the one for sale is No 3 but No 1 on the corner looks very similar, as is the fashion with shoe box housing ).

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

16th Dec 2003

£186,000

My word!

I have no idea what the neighbourhood there is like ... but to find something like that round here (not even the "POSH" town I work in) ... they would be asking 450k at least. I do so dream that the crash could get to *anywhere* near the SE ... some might not like that house but it is a palace next to the slave boxes on offer round here ... and, yes, I do live and work outside the M25 (just).

*sigh*

edit: missing word

Edited by Aidan Ap Word

HOLA448

Aidan - amen to that.

For all my complaints about room sizes etc, the £160kish price tag (unfortunately as stated 35 miles from work) round these parts for that sort of home is great compared to down south................ and although not perfect, it is a mile better than living in ex-council yob-city where I am now.

Closer to work I'm looking at £250k for the same.

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA449

Aidan - amen to that.

For all my complaints about room sizes etc, the £160kish price tag (unfortunately as stated 35 miles from work) round these parts for that sort of home is great compared to down south................ and although not perfect, it is a mile better than living in ex-council yob-city where I am now.

Closer to work I'm looking at £250k for the same.

That 35 mile commute is probably over two hours stuck on the motorway at moment

HOLA4410

The commute is such an awful thing. The time and the money.. I don't know what's worse.

I could get one of said houses and then get a job in the centre of town; this would increase my pay, allow me more money to be ble to afford a place, and could get the train in to the centre of town. Much better than one long drive along the Edinburgh bypass.

HOLA4411

Don't get too excited. Try phoning up and offering the asking price it'll probably be rejected.

I've read a couple of threads on mse over the last few months of people doing just that with agency express. Only to be told that the vendors want asking price + £xK. I think they price it low to bring in plenty of viewers and interest and hope for multiple offers. I dont know whether this approach works but I'd be inclined still to knock 20% off the asking price as a first offer :)

HOLA4412

Jesus, that's some reduction, and RELATIVE to other detached houses that is technically, at this moment in time, a bargain.

Look at the size of the rooms, though... I could buy a house like that but for £160k or so (including a 35 mile trip to work)... but the rooms are so small.

The house does seem kinda small and I could only see 2 bedrooms in the photos. I suspect the other 2 bedrooms are too small to show. But I'm not even a ftb so I know little.

HOLA4413

Don't get too excited. Try phoning up and offering the asking price it'll probably be rejected.

I've read a couple of threads on mse over the last few months of people doing just that with agency express. Only to be told that the vendors want asking price + £xK. I think they price it low to bring in plenty of viewers and interest and hope for multiple offers. I dont know whether this approach works but I'd be inclined still to knock 20% off the asking price as a first offer :)

If I'd been 'lured' in by a cheap price, I'd be tempted not to up it more, even if it was still good value. S*d em!

HOLA4414

Not really. That's the Express Estate Agency, notorious for putting properties on the market at teaser low rates, and then pulling a bait and switch whenever any potential buyers actually enquire about the property. That's their selling strategy, try to draw people through the door and then pump up the price and apply the hard-sell.

Not exactly evidence of a crash, more just evidence of dodgy estate agent practice.

HOLA4415

If I'd been 'lured' in by a cheap price, I'd be tempted not to up it more, even if it was still good value. S*d em!

Exactly. I can't imagine many people being prepared to go above asking price for a house in a good economy, now they would definitely be expecting a discount, hence the reason why asking prices have become so divorced from actual selling prices.

I'd love to hear some of the conversations that occur when people offer the asking price only for the idiot EA to come back and say they are not prepared to accept.

HOLA4416

i heard this froam a mate in the north east, saw an advert for a house with express agency at 50k, they said they were looking at around 70 for it

HOLA4417

16th Dec 2003

£186,000

it is still overpriced by about 40k, will take a long time for it to come down to that price i think

HOLA4418

Can you get a wheely bin up that path at the side of the house or a pushbike?

HOLA4419

But this is quite clearly just a sh1t house that no-one wants. It doesn't tell us anything about national house prices, just that sh1t houses are difficult to offload in today's climate.

There are millions of these types of houses and it just proves prices are falling and sellers are getting desperate, i am seeing houses which have sold in the last 2 years which are being put back up at prices below what they went for at the last sale, things are a changing.

HOLA4420

Not really. That's the Express Estate Agency, notorious for putting properties on the market at teaser low rates, and then pulling a bait and switch whenever any potential buyers actually enquire about the property. That's their selling strategy, try to draw people through the door and then pump up the price and apply the hard-sell.

Not exactly evidence of a crash, more just evidence of dodgy estate agent practice.

Its evidence of desperation, that system would have worked a few years ago when lending was easy but it ain,t working now, i've seen properties up with this agency for months and still not sold. credit is tight and most cash buyers are savvy (Thats how they got their money) so its a strugle for any sale.

HOLA4421

Detached!? You could open the window and touch the house next door! :lol:

Nothing wrong with semi or terraced as long as the house is well built the walls are thick and the sound insulation good.......keeps the heat in so less in energy costs......would rather have a view and a decent garden than a fuel costly detached built on a postage stamp any day. ;)

HOLA4422

Detached!? You could open the window and touch the house next door! :lol:

+1

Er picture 10 actually almost appears to show either that its bricked up or that you'd not be able to open the window fully.

Maybe you could squeeze yours fingers out through the little gap and touch the neighbors. :lol:

HOLA4423

It's a fair point about putting it on low and hoping it will draw some interest, however, this is the first time i've seen such a house come on the market below 150K in Northants.

This might be a new tactic I suppose, but it certainly devalues any other places near by that someone might actually want to go and see.

This is a sign of the times, sign of the desperation at the bottom/mid end of the market.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424