House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Not A Single Warship Was Tasked Solely With Protecting The Country's Shores During The Last Month Due To Defence Cuts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056117/Not-single-warship-tasked-solely-protecting-countrys-shores-month-defence-cuts.html

Cutbacks have left the UK without a single warship specifically tasked with protecting the country's shores for the past month, the Ministry of Defence confirmed today.

The Royal Navy normally provides a frigate or destroyer to be at high readiness for an emergency, including a terrorist attack, in UK waters or abroad.

However pressures on the navy caused by cuts to its fleet in last year's strategic defence and strategy review (SDSR) as well as its commitments to the Nato mission to Libya, has left it unable to fill the role.

Although I hardly see what a single warship could actually do, lets say the ship is ready in Portsmouth how long to get to Liverpool or Aberdeen? Hardly a speedy response.

Still for a nation which was built on the exploits of it's Navy we've fallen a long way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056117/Not-single-warship-tasked-solely-protecting-countrys-shores-month-defence-cuts.html

Although I hardly see what a single warship could actually do, lets say the ship is ready in Portsmouth how long to get to Liverpool or Aberdeen? Hardly a speedy response.

Still for a nation which was built on the exploits of it's Navy we've fallen a long way.

More to do with things like air defence cover. I read somewhere that a type 45 situated in central london can track and take down a tennis ball moving at the speed of sound over the isle of wight (or something similarly silly but still impressive). So the ships don't have to be too close in order to be able to do a job.

I heard somewhere that during the olympics they were going to park one of these things in the Thames so they could take down any suicide plane threats if required.

TBH for patrolling the shores, stopping drugs smugglers etc using frigates/warships is hardly an effective use of resources. You better off having quite a few small lightly armed fast patrol boats. As far as sea defence goes the only point of having warships in the area is to defend against other warships and I can't see anyone nearby lauching an invasion anytime soon, although maybe Sarkozy is more pissed off than we realise.

What do you expect?

The sole purpose of the UK armed forces these days is to enforce the interests of the corporate elite abroad, hence Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya,...

All we need is people to volunteer and patrol their own bit of shoreline in a dinghy, bathtub, whatever they have at hand.

All together:

Rule Britannia.....

I like your thinking - after all, "we're all in it together."

What a load of crap.

Defence cuts?

How much did it cost for Britain to have Ghadaffi lynched? How much is it costing us to keep the Taliban's opium flowing out of Afghanistan?

And all the other little expeditions we are currently on, supporting brutal regimes?

Eh? How much does all that cost?

But back to topic, we don't need to worry about monitoring the waters any more, only interdictions, and we have plenty of toys for that around the coast, and lots of military jets, etc...

More to do with things like air defence cover. I read somewhere that a type 45 situated in central london can track and take down a tennis ball moving at the speed of sound over the isle of wight (or something similarly silly but still impressive). So the ships don't have to be too close in order to be able to do a job.

snip

Luck for us then that Andy Murray isnt in the Navy.

Fast response assets are always in place to deal with any emergency inside the UK or its territorial waters with very short notice. This could range from a fast (armed) jet to a highly trained section of men from Army or Naval special forces.

This doesn't need to be a Frigate or Assault ship which is not what these ships are designed for anyway.

This is just the DM stirring it up again....

For other emergencies such as a British Protectorate being invaded or evacuation then the duty spearhead Bn would deal with it.

Spearhead

All we need is people to volunteer and patrol their own bit of shoreline in a dinghy, bathtub, whatever they have at hand.

Actually, that's not a bad idea - crowd sourced defence! :) Ofc, they would have to let us carry guns first, which nanny doesn't like.

EDIT: P.S. I bet it would cut down on 'our' attacks on foreign soils too. Any volunteers out there who want to go and get shot at? Anyone else want to pay them?

Edited by Traktion

Actually, that's not a bad idea - crowd sourced defence! :) Ofc, they would have to let us carry guns first, which nanny doesn't like.

EDIT: P.S. I bet it would cut down on 'our' attacks on foreign soils too. Any volunteers out there who want to go and get shot at? Anyone else want to pay them?

Isn't that how it used to work?

Isn't that how it used to work?

My history on this isn't great, but AFAIK, mercenary groups tended to serve sovereigns when required. I don't see why a similar situation couldn't work today, but with the funding being done via security insurance paid for by individuals. I doubt anyone would require tanks and aircraft to defend their property, but I suppose some would want such assurances, especially if there were tyrants on the war path in near by lands.

I found this interesting too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_army

The Swiss Armed Forces perform the roles of Switzerland's militia and regular army. Under the country's militia system, professional soldiers constitute about 5 percent of military personnel; the rest are male citizen conscripts 19 to 34 (in some cases up to 50) years old. Because of a long history of neutrality, the army does not take part in armed conflicts in other countries, but is and has taken part of several peacekeeping missions around the world.

The structure of the Swiss militia system stipulates that the soldiers keep their own personal equipment, including all personally assigned weapons, at home. Compulsory military service concerns all male Swiss citizens, with women serving voluntarily. Males usually receive initial orders at the age of 18 for military conscription eligibility screening. About two-thirds of young Swiss men are found suitable for service, while alternative service exists for those found unsuitable.[3] Annually, approximately 20,000 persons are trained in basic training for a duration from 18 to 21 weeks (increased from 15 weeks, in 2003).

Since 1989, there have been several attempts to curb military activity or even abolish the armed forces altogether (see Group for a Switzerland without an Army). A notable referendum on the subject was held on 26 November 1989 and, although defeated, did see a significant percentage of the voters in favour of such an initiative.[4] However, a similar referendum, called for before, but held shortly after the 2001 9/11 attacks in the US, was defeated by over 77% of voters.[5]

Edited by Traktion

Who is going to attack that would require a Naval response FFS. We've never been ready for any war, but there really is no point having heavy metal constantly on patrol.

A conventional invasion force is not likely; why bother when you can just get your forces in through Luton Airport on a student visa?

Who is going to attack that would require a Naval response FFS. We've never been ready for any war, but there really is no point having heavy metal constantly on patrol.

A conventional invasion force is not likely; why bother when you can just get your forces in through Luton Airport on a student visa?

If you have a submarine launched nuclear deterrent and can't guarantee that it isn't being shadowed out of port by someone else's hunter killer sub then you haven't got a nuclear deterrent.

Now...we haven't got Nimrod to sweep a path anymore...and no navy to do it either......

The Royal Navy is plenty big. The problem isnt defence cuts, the problem is our warships being scattered all over the planet engaged in operations that, it seems to me, have little to do with the national interest.

More to do with things like air defence cover. I read somewhere that a type 45 situated in central london can track and take down a tennis ball moving at the speed of sound over the isle of wight.
That sounds handy, given the current serious tennis ball threat.

Fun thread, full of an unusual amount of entertaining and good hearted nonsense.

Just watch out should them Taliban fellows choose to row up the Thames in a canoe...and we don't have a warship to take 'em on.

Scandalous.

It seems to me that the purpose of warships is to sink other ships rather than defending the shores. They used to mobile artillery platforms. Their mobility allowed the artillery to get close enough to fire on the other ship. The defensive element of this was preventing troop carriers/supply ships crossing the channel. The development to battleships was simply to carry bigger guns to enable them to out-range and out-gun opposing ships.

The problem is that air power took over the main role of artillery. It could deliver charges over greater distances than guns. A suitable air force could prevent shipping crossing the channel more effectively than war ships. Aircraft are in themselves just reusable weapons platforms. They fly near enough to launch a missile and return, not so dissimilar to the old ship-borne artillery role.

We no longer even need aircraft. The channel could be covered by cruise missiles. Ships don't carry much artillery these days, they carry missiles too. Thus we only change the launch point from ground to sea. The advantage of cruise missiles is you can store them in bunkers making them very hard to destroy. A ship, even the fastest, is vulnerable to the much faster missiles attacking it .

The modern navy is not an instrument of defence, it is an attack weapon. The idea is to send it to far off places where launching directly from the UK would be too far and too slow.

If you have a submarine launched nuclear deterrent and can't guarantee that it isn't being shadowed out of port by someone else's hunter killer sub then you haven't got a nuclear deterrent.

Now...we haven't got Nimrod to sweep a path anymore...and no navy to do it either......

There will always be a Trident Nuclear armed submarine at sea somewhere on patrol. As one comes in another takes up station it is why the program was so expensive in the first place as we need a minimum of 4 boats to be able to achieve this. One at sea, one in port, one in refit and 1 spare. for the 4 boats there are I think 5 or 6 fully trained crews.

Each boat carries 16 nuclear missiles all of which will have multiple re-entry deployable warheads.

Any nuclear aggressor to UK interests would need to know where our deployed Sub is and be able to destroy it forthwith to avoid being turned to glass in retaliation.

UK Nuclear Deterrent

Trident SLBM

edit typo

Edited by geezer466

What terrible news

Its a good job we don't need warships patrolling our counties shores, as nobodys tried to invade us for 65 years

And last time they did, it was the RAF that was critical.

Granted the Royal and Merchant Navies performed a very crucial, and dangerous, job of keeping everybody alive over the ensuing years, and in taking the fight back to the enemy.

But the RN would have been dead in the water without air superiority, and essentially navies became a means of projecting air power.