MumblesisNuts

HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Ludicrous price IMPO. I think after that house went to that banker for 1.2 mill earlier this year everyone in Higher Lane thinks that they may as well try it on?

Or perhaps people are worried about the land on the headland that the Council is inviting proposals from for development? If you notice, since those notice went up in recent months an awful lot of houses on or near Higher Lane have come on the market. Many of them make big claims about their sea views, many of which - I assume - will no longerhave them if any housing development goes ahead?

I get the impression IMPO lots of people are looking to bail ASAP.

HOLA444

Yes, it is bland, boring and uninspiring. Lots of unhappy dull couples with their 2.4 children living unhappy lives.

Someone, who lives in Killay, once told me that there were lots of affairs and even an active swinging community in the area... but perhaps you could say that about lots of dull, boring and bland areas.

Don't dismiss it out of hand though, in the past year I have noticed a different kind of person moving to Killay. I think some 'interesting' people have been priced out of Sketty, Mumbles and elsewhere are now choosing Killay as a place to be.

Failing that, you and your hubby could always join the local swingers.

I dont know which is worse the 2.4 kids or the swinging :unsure:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Ludicrous price IMPO. I think after that house went to that banker for 1.2 mill earlier this year everyone in Higher Lane thinks that they may as well try it on?

Or perhaps people are worried about the land on the headland that the Council is inviting proposals from for development? If you notice, since those notice went up in recent months an awful lot of houses on or near Higher Lane have come on the market. Many of them make big claims about their sea views, many of which - I assume - will no longerhave them if any housing development goes ahead?

I get the impression IMPO lots of people are looking to bail ASAP.

No doubt once the notices went up many agents went knocking on doors to give them the news and tell them that they should sell now for a big price or lose out big time.

I have now come to the conclusion that the EA's down West are to blame. I had tried to defend them before and thought that the vendors might be one of the issues like they are in other areas of Swansea, but I just hear one thing after another. We had planned to try and move in to the market down there to set ourselves up for when the other agents start cutting back or closing their doors, but from everything that I hear too many vendors have been given far too much poor advice that it will be like flogging a dead horse.

Our valuations would be laughed at and business would be too slow to make financial sense.

HOLA447

No doubt once the notices went up many agents went knocking on doors to give them the news and tell them that they should sell now for a big price or lose out big time.

I have now come to the conclusion that the EA's down West are to blame. I had tried to defend them before and thought that the vendors might be one of the issues like they are in other areas of Swansea, but I just hear one thing after another. We had planned to try and move in to the market down there to set ourselves up for when the other agents start cutting back or closing their doors, but from everything that I hear too many vendors have been given far too much poor advice that it will be like flogging a dead horse.

Our valuations would be laughed at and business would be too slow to make financial sense.

I think that is very sensible and, frankly, if I buy in the area I am not so sure that I will buy in that area now. The housing stock in Mumbles/ Sketty / Swansea West generally is not only hugely over-priced IMPO but the quality, in many cases, is simply dreadful.

It is the 'fur coat and no knickers' mentality IMPO - it is quite clear from the houses that I have viewed that people have spent so much money paying the mortgage that often they had nothing left to do anything inside. In the 'cheaper' parts of Swansea not only are the houses cheaper to buy but they are often ready to move into.

The vast majority of houses I have viewed in Sketty, Derwen Fawr, Killay, West Cross, Mumbles, Newton, Norton and Langland have been complete gut jobs the moment you got hold of the keys - at least 50K needing to be spent if not 100K. (Edit: I have been looking at 250K to 350K asking price houses for goodness sake!)

The lack of higher interest rates is surely all that is saving the area from a massive crash in prices.

Friends of mine from England recently bought in the Mumbles area, having relocated to the city for work, and were totally disgusted by the attitude of some EAs that they dealt with. They sold a house in England and had nothing but praise for the EA handing the sale in England.

But they had huge difficultly in getting to even simply view property in the Mumbles area and felt that they were talked down to by one or two EAs - so much so that they considered making a formal complaint to their bosses. Even now, many months after completing on a house in the Mumbles area, they still wonder what the EA did for their fees.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA448

We have an investor that visited JF in Mumbles and due to being dressed very casually were treated very very poorly simply because of the way she was dressed.

She owns a large property in Mumbles, a property in London and is looking to cash buy land and BTL properties in all areas of Swansea. Simply by taking her by appearance they lost business.

HOLA449

Yet another grossly over priced dormer bungalow on the main road - nice enough kitchen but really, 475k!.I would imagine anyone considering this might want to buy the west wing of Cefn Coed instead (cheaper with more facilities)

http://www.homesonview.co.uk/Scripts/ShowProperty.asp?css=&CompanyID=JNFSMUMB&AgencyID=JNFSMUMB&ID=JKP10648

HOLA4410

Yet another grossly over priced dormer bungalow on the main road - nice enough kitchen but really, 475k!.I would imagine anyone considering this might want to buy the west wing of Cefn Coed instead (cheaper with more facilities)

http://www.homesonview.co.uk/Scripts/ShowProperty.asp?css=&CompanyID=JNFSMUMB&AgencyID=JNFSMUMB&ID=JKP10648

Manselfield Road? I looked at a dormer for sale on there for 245 which dropped down to low 200s.

I am convinced that these valuations/asking prices now just show how big the crash is going to be in Swansea - it is IMPO like the last days of Rome where excesses became, um, excessive before the crash.

I spoke with an EA today who said that once you get over 250K things are not selling.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

How long have they had it on the market?

The street view shows Astleys have a sign erected. The street view is usally about 4 years old :o

Driven past there a few times and along the road by the side of the estuary even when the tide is in. It falls short by 100 yards or so.

Looks nice from the outside, but a bit of modernisation inside required.

HOLA4413

How long have they had it on the market?

The street view shows Astleys have a sign erected. The street view is usally about 4 years old :o

Driven past there a few times and along the road by the side of the estuary even when the tide is in. It falls short by 100 yards or so.

Looks nice from the outside, but a bit of modernisation inside required.

Yes, I noticed Astleys sign on the streetview and what looks like part of the building has a homemade sign on it saying it is a plot of land for sale, so perhaps the actual property is even smaller. It is behind the CK supermarket.

I was talking to a chap from the Enivronmental Agency a year or so ago and he told me that the entire area along there is forecast to have substantial tidal rises. He told me they were trying to get funding to build two tidal barriers there but, in the current climate, he didn't think they would get the money.

There are quite a few lovely houses along there - all on for ludicrous asking prices IMPO - that are yards from the high tide mark, or will be in a few years. One keeps going STC and then back on so I assume it never gets a mortgage? I suspect insurance would be nigh in impossible also.

But, gee, 290K for a tiny terrace in the back of beyond? :rolleyes: Come on!

I forgot to add the rolling eyes smiley to my original post

HOLA4414

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32230213.html/svr/3105;jsessionid=D46C2CE04F4E2A10A4AA3631565FE7BE

How long have these been up - 15, 20 years?

Btw, saw a repossession notice on the window of a house in Langland yesterday. Actually, first one I have seen in Swansea let alone in Mumbles.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4420

I'm new to posting on this forum, but not new to reading and watching this forum with interest. I've recently returned to Mumbles where I lived for the best part of my adult life, to find this.......this.........absolute gem of a house, rather decently priced too !

If Carlsberg did Denial !

Last bought in 2006 for approx £343k, now at the highly reasonable price of £595k.

I think they may be in for a rude awakening and a loss that would make that well known tw*t Richard Desmond squirm !

Sold :o

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Sold :o

Has it been sold or taken off the market?

There are those new 4 bed detached jobs that the ex Welsh player has built at the top of Newton - on for 600Kish. I bet you could get one for 500K if you had the cash so why go for a bungalow when you can have a big new build house in Newton?

I was talking to an EA over the weekend and he said the market is dead in Mumbles/Swansea West with the odd exception. Said that offers are coming in well below asking, usually 20% below and sometimes lower. As a result he said that lots of people in 3 bed semis and terraces are desperate not to go below 250K so there is a glut of properties on the market in the 265K to 300K asking price range. Some have gone to 250K asking price but believe they can hold out for 250K - no offers. :lol::lol::lol:

But he said that as a result anything new is now coming on for stupid asking prices of 305K to 350K on basic 2 ups and 2 downs or 3 bed semis. He said the reason for this was partly what I just said above, but also because the EAs are desperate for higher priced sales to bring in money via commission. They are all competing on 1% fees and as so little is selling the EAs, as much as the sellers, want to sell for higher prices. That, he said, and the fact that they are all still competing to get stuff on their books.

Sounds like a parabolic blow-off like you get in stocks or precious metals before a collapse?

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA4423

Who knows?

The sign has a 'sold' banner on it.

'It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it' How many times do we hear that phrase?

The thing is that you and I (and most sane people) know that it's not worth it but we have to assume that someone is prepared to pay the price - or near it - so therefore it is worth it.

HOLA4424

Who knows?

The sign has a 'sold' banner on it.

'It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it' How many times do we hear that phrase?

The thing is that you and I (and most sane people) know that it's not worth it but we have to assume that someone is prepared to pay the price - or near it - so therefore it is worth it.

Be interesting if it actually completes. Nothing would surprise me in Swansea.

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4425