House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Rac Renewing Membership Without Documentation

The RAC just managed to P1ss me off, by takjng a £120 (dual membership with no call out discount) charge from my credit card before they had sent out any notification paperwork. As the RAC service is basically an insurance, I thought they had to issue paper work and then give 14 days cooling off, not just take the money.

I phoned up to complain, and told the man on the phone that I definitely had not received the paperwork or new membership cards as I'd been on holiday and had stopped the post for 2 weeks. He then said something very bizaar about the post office having told them (the RAC) that we were away and so they hadn't sent the paperwork. I retorted, "why on earth would Royal Mail tell you we are away, they wouldn't even know we were customers. Anyway that really annoyed me, and despite the guys attempt to sell the benefits of the policy, I told him I didn't want to renew and was going to switch to Green Flag and that I didn't want anything to do with the Carlye Group.

So RAC cover is now cancelled, and the wife and I still have cover under our bank acconts, so really just deduplicating.

Anyone here had thoughts about cancelling their RAC membership now they are owned by Carlye? I am not anti Carlye from any particular anti-war or leftwing stance, just I am not in favour of venture capitalist asset strippers that destroy once great organisations. The problem with the RAC now is that Carlye will be demanding their pound of flesh, and so service etc is bound to suffer. That said, if you dislike the the cosey relationship between Carlye and George Bush etc, then you might also have a good reason to boycott the RAC.

The RAC just managed to P1ss me off, by takjng a £120 (dual membership with no call out discount) charge from my credit card before they had sent out any notification paperwork. As the RAC service is basically an insurance, I thought they had to issue paper work and then give 14 days cooling off, not just take the money.

I phoned up to complain, and told the man on the phone that I definitely had not received the paperwork or new membership cards as I'd been on holiday and had stopped the post for 2 weeks. He then said something very bizaar about the post office having told them (the RAC) that we were away and so they hadn't sent the paperwork. I retorted, "why on earth would Royal Mail tell you we are away, they wouldn't even know we were customers. Anyway that really annoyed me, and despite the guys attempt to sell the benefits of the policy, I told him I didn't want to renew and was going to switch to Green Flag and that I didn't want anything to do with the Carlye Group.

So RAC cover is now cancelled, and the wife and I still have cover under our bank acconts, so really just deduplicating.

Anyone here had thoughts about cancelling their RAC membership now they are owned by Carlye? I am not anti Carlye from any particular anti-war or leftwing stance, just I am not in favour of venture capitalist asset strippers that destroy once great organisations. The problem with the RAC now is that Carlye will be demanding their pound of flesh, and so service etc is bound to suffer. That said, if you dislike the the cosey relationship between Carlye and George Bush etc, then you might also have a good reason to boycott the RAC.

My breakdown cover is with Axa, who are much cheaper than the likes of AA, RAC or Green Flag. I haven't had to call them out yet, so I don't know what that is like, but I do know that the AA were useless when my car broke down a few years back.

This is nothing new - about 20 years ago I had a direct debit with the AA and they took the money three weeks early. I cancelled my membership and haven't been near them since.

Stuck with the AA (bar one flirtation with a cheap offer with my insurance cover) mainly because when they floated (?sold) they gave shares or money to all memebers. When the RAC did it they just gave oodles to some core members (? members of the RAC club) "feck 'em", thought I, and have never considered joining given that they treat their ordinary members that badly.

The AA signed me up for a direct debit, which I immediately cancelled.

They did that to me years ago, at a time when I was pretty skint as well and couldn't really afford it. Never had anything to do with them since.

Easy to stop. Pay annually and by card. No DD.

The OP said that (s)he did pay by card, and that the card was charged again a year later, and automatically.

I am an RAC member, but for the last 4-5 years now have bought my membership with Tesco Clubcard points; so if they do still have a card number for me, it won't work anymore (because the card will have expired and been replaced with one that has a different three-digit code).

I would definitely go with Green Flag or one of the cheaper options if I didn't effectively get RAC membership for free. On the one time I've ever needed their help since I first joined in 1999, it took them four hours to give me any. This was at around 11pm one night on a country B-road near Easingwold. A cow was on the road which an oncoming car hit: the impact knocked the car into my path and then it hit me. The other guy was an AA member and they came and towed his wreck away within an hour and a half. The RAC took two hours even to arrive after I called them, and then refused to recover my car until the dead cow had been removed from the scene, citing 'health and safety reasons', even though the police told them that they could go ahead.

The OP said that (s)he did pay by card, and that the card was charged again a year later, and automatically.

I am an RAC member, but for the last 4-5 years now have bought my membership with Tesco Clubcard points; so if they do still have a card number for me, it won't work anymore (because the card will have expired and been replaced with one that has a different three-digit code).

I would definitely go with Green Flag or one of the cheaper options if I didn't effectively get RAC membership for free. On the one time I've ever needed their help since I first joined in 1999, it took them four hours to give me any. This was at around 11pm one night on a country B-road near Easingwold. A cow was on the road which an oncoming car hit: the impact knocked the car into my path and then it hit me. The other guy was an AA member and they came and towed his wreck away within an hour and a half. The RAC took two hours even to arrive after I called them, and then refused to recover my car until the dead cow had been removed from the scene, citing 'health and safety reasons', even though the police told them that they could go ahead.

I'm with Green Flag at the moment due to a deal with my insurance, but I've not had to call them out so I don't know what they're like. I was with the AA before that, and the only time I had to call them out they turned up as quickly as could be expected and towed the car for the rest of the journey, leaving it at the garage and taking me home, a hundred mile journey. Can't say fairer than that (it was unfixable at the side of the motorway - a little bit of debris had got flicked up onto the bottom of the car and managed to put a hole in the fuel line). They did better than the Highways Agency at any rate; the motorway emergency phone was stone dead.