House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Thatcher, Major Etc Still Claim £100K Pa Allowances

Probably to cover increased security.

...."In 2008-9, Mr Blair claimed £169,076 - more than his Downing Street salary"...more than likely ..a lot on security ..also.... :rolleyes:

If she is an invalid she can probably claim attendance allowance too, she's a bit too old now for DLA...

..if it was means tested Blair would get very little now....but no...he has claimed over one quarter of a £1 million to date...... :rolleyes:

Probably to cover increased security.

Why would extra security (or, indeed, *any* security) be required purely because they're ex-PMs?

Security for the *current* PM, along with, say, the Home- and Defence Secretaries makes some kind of sense, but why ex-PMs?

Why would extra security (or, indeed, *any* security) be required purely because they're ex-PMs?

Security for the *current* PM, along with, say, the Home- and Defence Secretaries makes some kind of sense, but why ex-PMs?

There are a lot of people on here who'd like to test Thatcher's security, nevermind all the various colours and flavours of extremist.

Personally I think given all the great work she did for our country an extra £100k pa or more is the least we can do...

( popcorn-1.gif )

These people need security for the rest of their lives, so I'm sure it will cover a detectives, or close protection officers salary. Not sure though!

There are a lot of people on here who'd like to test Thatcher's security, nevermind all the various colours and flavours of extremist.

Personally I think given all the great work she did for our country an extra £100k pa or more is the least we can do...

( popcorn-1.gif )

As a free market supporter I'm with you in certain respects wrt thatcher. Nevertheless, again as a free market supporter, I'm uncomfortable with these largely unscrutinised and unaudited payments made by the taxpayer to public sector staff, that inevitably give leaders a sense of economic security the rest of us are not afforded. Inevitably such 'insurance policies' allow and even encourage them to play fast and loose with the public finances and our economic futures. I wonder for instance whether Blair would have been so keen to launch costly wars or Brown so happy to leverage our futures with investment bankers, were they not so sure of their own comfy 'retirements'. By the same token I wonder whether Mervyn King would be quite so happy to subject us to these rates of inflation if his BoE pension were not puffed up and secured in index linked gilts. Public sector parachutes are lovely for those that have them, but often ruinous for the rest of us who work in the real economy.

Edited by Sledgehead

Scumbag public sector benefit cheats with their snouts in the trough 'til the end.

I think I can forgive any expenditure that protects the Major family after he got the National debt down to 35% of GDP, despite having to deal with Thatcher's bust. I might feel the same way as you if we were talking about Brown costing us money after he destroyed the economy. And no doubt he will cost us big time on a personal level on top of his nuclear devastation in the years to come.

Edited by crashmonitor