House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
'Bart'

Blacks Leisure In Red To Tune Of £16M

The "Blacks in the red" pun has already been used. :(

Blacks Leisure, the outdoor equipment and clothing retailer, has plunged deeper into the red at its half-year results, more than doubling pre-tax losses to £16m as sales continue to fall.

Analysts believe the company will need to raise at least £20m in equity in the new year in order to continue as a going concern and convince lender Bank of Scotland (part of Lloyds Banking) to agree to a further refinancing of its £40m banking facilities prior to its February year-end.

LINK

Haven't bought anything there in a few years myself. Some good stuff there but cheaper to buy online most of the time.

Fortunately there are many people on here who can sack people and then replace them, by doing this they can make more profit....so no worries.

yaya.hmv,clinton cards,blacks etc etc.the real competition is finding a non food retial business that will come out on the other side.

tempted to say halfords.

You can add Dixons and Argos to that list of failures....

Primark to do ok? TK Maxx? - They seem to be ok at the moment certainly but clothing doesn't appear to have been particularly impacted yet

Edited by Lennon

I love scouting around for good outdoors stuff, but Blacks is going down the hill quite a bit. They've got poor stock and a lot of "Technical" branded and that bloody Fish looking thing, and some seriously overpriced Northface stuff.

There's not a lot of value to be had. If you wander over to Cotswolds or equivalents, you're getting a lot more bang for the buck.

with primark and TKMaxx,I'd be worreid about their core demogrpahic losing disposable income.they may start to attract more middle income customers as things tighten though.

what, benefits?

The "Blacks in the red" pun has already been used. :(

LINK

Haven't bought anything there in a few years myself. Some good stuff there but cheaper to buy online most of the time.

I'm into the Great Outdoors - go camping and walking a lot. Black's has a branch in Sheffield centre, but I can't recall the last time I bought anything from there. If I need higher end stuff from a wide range of manufacturers I go to Go Outdoors on Bramall Lane. If I need low cost own brand stuff it's off to Decathlon not far from Go Outdoors.

I just never think of Blacks; other than how it's pricey and full of outdoors stuff aimed at fashion victims.

It's an environmental disaster all those kids just using their tents once at pop festivals and just leaving them!

Just a sign of how rich we are as a nation.

The idea of leaving camping equipment behind is something for the stupid generation whatever age they may be.

Freecycle works entirely on the principal you can't be bothered selling stuff.

When freecycle dries up and stops then I reckon we'll be in economic woes.

yaya.hmv,clinton cards,blacks etc etc.the real competition is finding a non food retial business that will come out on the other side.

tempted to say halfords.

Halfords would be an interesting call. They sell cheap bikes and help people do DIY on their car. Both are likely to be growth areas in the coming years.

Most of Amazon's dive in profits seems to be due to investment in the new Kindle. It's a gamble that I wouldn't bet against.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Just a sign of how rich we are as a nation.

The idea of leaving camping equipment behind is something for the stupid generation whatever age they may be.

Freecycle works entirely on the principal you can't be bothered selling stuff.

When freecycle dries up and stops then I reckon we'll be in economic woes.

I'm not condoning it but I'm pretty sure most festivals have a collection service for tents which are used overseas by charities and in emergency situations.

I'm not condoning it but I'm pretty sure most festivals have a collection service for tents which are used overseas by charities and in emergency situations.

At Glastonbury this year the organisers announced they were no longer collecting abandoned tents for charitable purposes because the "tax overhead" meant they lost money on the venture. They also said nothing should be left on site after the festival:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/love-the-farm-leave-no-trace

... but the place looked like Apocalypse Now when I left on Monday evening. The profligacy & waste of the younger generation was quite breathtaking.

...but are these new warehouse picking jobs be the jobs of the future that will pay sufficient to pay for the mortgages and the rents, gas, food, clothes and fuel bills? ;)

Our top 50 best selling online/mail order lines have completely automated despatch - there is no picking job.

Works like a gigantic fag vending machine in a pub - didn't cost as much as you might think either.

I'm into the Great Outdoors - go camping and walking a lot. Black's has a branch in Sheffield centre, but I can't recall the last time I bought anything from there. If I need higher end stuff from a wide range of manufacturers I go to Go Outdoors on Bramall Lane. If I need low cost own brand stuff it's off to Decathlon not far from Go Outdoors.

I just never think of Blacks; other than how it's pricey and full of outdoors stuff aimed at fashion victims.

Yep blacks is overpriced outdoor fashion not practical affordable outdoor gear. Millets, field and trek, gaynors are all the same too. Go outdoors is the place to go for good cheaper stuff or small independent retailers can have some good deals too.

A good harsh winter will give their profits a boost but unless they ditch the fashion approach they're doomed medium term.

Our top 50 best selling online/mail order lines have completely automated despatch - there is no picking job.

Works like a gigantic fag vending machine in a pub - didn't cost as much as you might think either.

Is this a serious trend or are you way ahead of the curve in this?

Is this a serious trend or are you way ahead of the curve in this?

There's an office supplies distribution centre in Germany that is almost entirely automated. There was a video on YouTube that I'Ii see if I can find.

The Amazon pictures you get in the papers each Christmas are a bit misleading as, despite being so huge, logistically they're incredibly backward and cost ineffective and often just use ground floor only picking and waste the height of their warehouse. Part of Amazon's problem is their very rapid expansion and constantly outgrowing space, I suspect.

This is similar but not the German one I was looking for - ours only deals with single (quite a big larger) items ( not orders with different items as most people, shipping cost ineffectively, tend to buy one thing). Ours replenishes itself automatically from pallets on racking above - which are put away automatically as the forklift runs on wires buried in the floor.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=lQDtp7d7cnA

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

I'm into the Great Outdoors - go camping and walking a lot. Black's has a branch in Sheffield centre, but I can't recall the last time I bought anything from there.

My total spend there is:

A pair of Karrimor boots (very good, but the Karrimor brand has apparently gone downhill since then)

A Berghaus coat (again, very good quality IMO)

A thick Technicals down filled coat (a godsend during cold spells, not least because of the padding it affords me when I fall over on the ice)

I've always been impressed with what (little) I've bought from them but at the same time they do seem excessively pricey.

(Am I contradicting myself here?)