House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Plan Set To Double Council Tax On Empty Homes

link

OWNERS of empty homes will have to pay double council tax under new plans to help councils raise cash to build more houses.

Councils are to be given new powers to impose the levy on empty homes after six months to encourage owners to bring them back into use or sell them.

The new charge will see an end to the council tax discount on vacant properties and instead local authorities can impose a charge of up to double the council tax on each house.

Meh. Might catch on elsewhere of course.

Common sense plan. Don't like the 'powers' part of it. Should be standard then it would really make an impact.

People with one house shouldn't have to subsidise the council tax of those who can afford more than one, via discounts for second homes. Council tax should be on a sliding scale.

One house one council tax, two houses both charged double the highest of the two rates, three houses treble the highest, etc.

People with one house shouldn't have to subsidise the council tax of those who can afford more than one, via discounts for second homes. Council tax should be on a sliding scale.

One house one council tax, two houses both charged double the highest of the two rates, three houses treble the highest, etc.

Amen to that.

Amen to that.

Tis wrong to me, Council tax is a local income tax effectively, similar to the cantonal tax we have here, if a house is empty then the use of services is minimal (which is why the tax is inversely skewed at the top), i dont think its helpful fudging a tax to avoid what they are actually trying to tax which is land

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Council tax is a local income tax effectively

It's a capital asset tax, empty homes require infrastruce to be in place.

Doubling the tax is a good idea IMO (but that's because it'll drop prices in Cornwall).

;)

It's a capital asset tax, empty homes require infrastruce to be in place.

Doubling the tax is a good idea IMO (but that's because it'll drop prices in Cornwall).

;)

no its not, it is a services tax, if you want to tax capital assets then tax them as capital assets, if it was a capital assets tax it wouldnt be skewed

If it was a pure service tax the rate would be based on the number of people living there not the notional value of the property.

It is, you pay full for 2, 75% for one, 25% for none, id agree basing it on property values is nosh, it should be based on income to be equitable if it going to be done so in reality i guess its an afterbirth of a solution that solves nothing, but this double tax clearly has one aim and its to hurt monopoly and as such shouldnt have the skew benefit of council tax, if they want to do it stop fcking about and tax what they are actually trying to which is imputed rent via land monopoly

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

It will just encourage people to 'flip' their houses once ever 5 - 6 months.

That's ok, the council around here do check. I know someone who changed their "main residence" and apparently the previous main residence got a visit.

If they also sorted out this correctly then they could also get the capital gains tax payment as well (when they come to sell). How many people I wonder 'move' into their second home for a while to make it the main home as it is being sold.

Most of them I bet. Certainly the MPs do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/liberal-democrat-mps-expenses/7787519/Danny-Alexander-new-Treasury-chief-avoided-capital-gains-tax-on-house.html

(Warning: the link below contains graphic images - specifically a photo of Hazel Blears):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5310568/Hazel-Blears-should-be-sacked-for-avoiding-capital-gains-tax-MPs-expenses.html

If they also sorted out this correctly then they could also get the capital gains tax payment as well (when they come to sell). How many people I wonder 'move' into their second home for a while to make it the main home as it is being sold.

The other thing that will happen is that where you have a married or cohabiting couple, one partner registers the couple's actual main home as their primary residence and the other the holiday home.

I think you'd probably need to give people a grace period while attempting to sell a property (I'd say that three months is reasonable), but with that proviso, good.

The other thing that will happen is that where you have a married or cohabiting couple, one partner registers the couple's actual main home as their primary residence and the other the holiday home.

Again, random checks and punitive fines would be a good way to counter this.

Again, random checks and punitive fines would be a good way to counter this.

I don't want the bleeding council knocking on my door every other week. Why are people happy about more TAXATION? Yes, it may drop house prices but then again, we giving the government more mandate to take even more of our money in other areas. I for one think this is a silly idea, the tax should be the same, no matter if anyone is living in the house or not. Less tax, not more!

I don't want the bleeding council knocking on my door every other week. Why are people happy about more TAXATION? Yes, it may drop house prices but then again, we giving the government more mandate to take even more of our money in other areas. I for one think this is a silly idea, the tax should be the same, no matter if anyone is living in the house or not. Less tax, not more!

They wouldn't need to knock on your door more than once, and then only if there'd been a change of "main residence".

Oh, and it wouldn't be the council, more likely HMRC who have the right to search your house without a warrant (sorry if you were sleeping when this happened in parliament).

Less tax? I thought "you want a house?" The tax system is one of the only levers available to prevent hoarding of property.

Of course the best option would be a land value tax, but then rich people might have to pay it. And we don't want that, do we?

They wouldn't need to knock on your door more than once, and then only if there'd been a change of "main residence".

Oh, and it wouldn't be the council, more likely HMRC who have the right to search your house without a warrant (sorry if you were sleeping when this happened in parliament).

Less tax? I thought "you want a house?" The tax system is one of the only levers available to prevent hoarding of property.

Of course the best option would be a land value tax, but then rich people might have to pay it. And we don't want that, do we?

Didn't know the HMRC have more powers than the police, but then again, I am not surprised. Taxation is okay in moderation but the levels we are seeing are pure theft.

I have a 3 bed house in London, all rooms are currently occupied with my offspring, just can't be bothered to change my name :)

It is, you pay full for 2, 75% for one, 25% for none, id agree basing it on property values is nosh, it should be based on income to be equitable if it going to be done so in reality i guess its an afterbirth of a solution that solves nothing, but this double tax clearly has one aim and its to hurt monopoly and as such shouldnt have the skew benefit of council tax, if they want to do it stop fcking about and tax what they are actually trying to which is imputed rent via land monopoly

Your bang on. Council tax is one confused idea.

It needs to be trashed and find a replacement. Flat rate land tax to the owner makes most sense to me. In the meantime I'm okay with this idea, only as a way of discouraging waste of housing.

Tis wrong to me, Council tax is a local income tax effectively, similar to the cantonal tax we have here, if a house is empty then the use of services is minimal (which is why the tax is inversely skewed at the top), i dont think its helpful fudging a tax to avoid what they are actually trying to tax which is land

But its not zero use of services is it? So why zero council tax?

Wages still to pay too, and also the bin men still drive the street just in case you do throw anything out (they don't keep a tally on empty houses who didn't pay).

I agree with charging full tax. Makes absolute sense, you own a residence in the area then you should contribute to the area. Dead simple.

Didn't know the HMRC have more powers than the police, but then again, I am not surprised. Taxation is okay in moderation but the levels we are seeing are pure theft.

I have a 3 bed house in London, all rooms are currently occupied with my offspring, just can't be bothered to change my name :)

When Customs & Excise merged with the Inland Revenue, they ended up with a superset of powers. Customs & Excise had search and entry powers granted to them in order to fight drug / people trafficing, but now HMRC have those same powers. To use and abuse as they see fit.

A shortage of housing has been one of the root causes of the current crisis and is one of the reasons the generation below you (and I) are unlikely to be home owners.

I think everything possible should be done to enable everyone to have their own home. But I do stop at one home. If you want two, three or more homes, you are clearly wealthy enough to afford full council tax on each. If you aren't, you can sell them and simply rent another property when you require it.

Nobody is forced to have multiple homes. Whereas everyone needs the first.

Edited by What's'isname