House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Laser Eye Surgery?

Mrs Posh is getting through 3months worth of 1 a day contact lenses every two months at a cost of £96 each time (up from £75 three years ago), this comes from housekeeping so takes roughly 10% out of our grocery spend.

Who's had experience of laser eye surgery, good or bad from the point of laser correction right down the timeline to 20years+

BC 8.5 DIA 14.2

+3.75 left eye and +6 right eye

Cheers all!

Mrs Posh is getting through 3months worth of 1 a day contact lenses every two months at a cost of £96 each time (up from £75 three years ago), this comes from housekeeping so takes roughly 10% out of our grocery spend.

Who's had experience of laser eye surgery, good or bad from the point of laser correction right down the timeline to 20years+

BC 8.5 DIA 14.2

Cheers all!

No personal experience but I've known one or two people who have had it and they've had nothing but good to say about it. I've no idea how well it works with different prescriptions. I've occasionally thought about it myself.

BC 8.5 DIA 14.2

Cheers all!

Get her to try online lenses

Don't let her have laser eye surgery till Consultant Ophthalmic surgeons allow their families to have it! See how those in the know doing the laser surgery actually wear glasses.B)

BC 8.5 DIA 14.2

Cheers all!

I can inform you about either point as it happens, as one eye has been lasered and I wear a contact lens in the other.

I'm keeping the short-sighted eye as it is to read with and avoid reading glasses.

If she's nervous about the op, then there are cheap contact lenses on the internet, I buy them. For me, one pair is two days, mind.

I was lasered at Optimax, one of the cheaper options, it was reasonably new at the time(1994) so I wanted an experienced operator, not one experienced at fleecing people. Good result, about +0.5 now, originally -4.75. Night vision better with the unlasered eye but the difference is tiny. Latest techniques should give an even better result.

Just noticed your Mrs is longsighted - I know less about laser surgery for longsight, you'd better DYOR in detail.

Don't let her have laser eye surgery till Consultant Ophthalmic surgeons allow their families to have it! See how those in the know doing the laser surgery actually wear glasses.B)

Urban myth.

My consultant had operated on his wife a few days before. In 1994.

There's a cheaper brand with a base curve of 8.6 as opposed to the 8.5 she's currently using. Should that be an important consideration? :)

I can inform you about either point as it happens, as one eye has been lasered and I wear a contact lens in the other.

I'm keeping the short-sighted eye as it is to read with and avoid reading glasses.

If she's nervous about the op, then there are cheap contact lenses on the internet, I buy them. For me, one pair is two days, mind.

I was lasered at Optimax, one of the cheaper options, it was reasonably new at the time(1994) so I wanted an experienced operator, not one experienced at fleecing people. Good result, about +0.5 now, originally -4.75. Night vision better with the unlasered eye but the difference is tiny. Latest techniques should give an even better result.

Just noticed your Mrs is longsighted - I know less about laser surgery for longsight, you'd better DYOR in detail.

Thanks swissy_fit.

Lots to consider and that's a good compromise. I know because my left eye has an astigmatism of 2.5 and right eye 0.5 but for all intents and purposes my vision is perfect and I don't need glasses (although I have to carry two pairs of glasses whilst PIC(pilot in command)??? ) guess it won't be much different for Mrs Posh...

I had mine done about 2 years ago now.

I probably fell for all the marketing crap and got the most expensive treatment option - eyes were just one thing i wasn't willing to risk being cheap on.

One i went for (i think) was ultralase lasik elite - price list is at http://www.ultralase.com/vites/pricing - although they offer free lifetime corrections for that price, i can't imagine going under the laser again unless my eyesight deteriorates significantly. Think i was -3.5 in each eye.

Needed glasses before - used contact lens but don't like them. Afterwards, vision was 20/20. Got some blurring but it was eyes drying out rather than deteriorating - night vision is fine now. Noticed in the office that i can't see text on the far end of a meeting room, but no problems in/out of work in general.

Scariest thing i've ever done btw. There are 2 points in the op that i really wasn't quite expecting, although to be fair they do warn you in advance. No real pain from it, and after 15 mins in a dark room was on the way home with sunglasses on.

Hows she getting through 3 months supply every 2 months? they drying out too soon each day?

Hows she getting through 3 months supply every 2 months? they drying out too soon each day?

She claims that some are duds/blurry replacing them straight away and loses many as an occupational hazard of travelling alot with work (admin vortex IMO they turn up in the most unusual places and the pockets of suitcases).

She claims that some are duds/blurry replacing them straight away and loses many as an occupational hazard of travelling alot with work (admin vortex IMO they turn up in the most unusual places and the pockets of suitcases).

Lol. I was always crap at getting them in the right way round - they appeared to sit properly on my finger when inside out, it's only when i put them in that they're blurry.

Never had a lens that was just no good, and i sure as hell wasn't paying £96 for the pleasure of them! Sounds like if laser surgery isn't an option then you could definitely find better/cheaper lenses elsewhere..

What annoyed me the most was holidays.

Can't swim with them in - they seemed to fall out, absorb chlorine, and generally cause trouble. Had to consider getting prescription and non-prescription sunglasses just for when i'm wearing them.

Best thing about laser eye surgery was not turning into a blind man whenever it rains heavily, or when you've just walked in from the cold and the glasses steam up!

That story today about that near-blind chap having gene therapy is amazing - reckons his sight is improving already.

Missed that. Of special interest to me as I also have an inherited genetic condition that can lead to blindness (not the same as that chap had though, thank gawd).

I can't have laser eye surgery but I have had this done instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrdNHVAnTLI&feature=player_embedded

My boss wears some Japanese lenses that he keeps in all the time for I think 6 months. He's very happy with them.