House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
backtoparents

Renting In Spain

Anyone here had any experience of renting a flat in Spain?

My native girlfriend is doing the hunt, but wonder if anyone here had an tips/warnings?

cheers

btp

Flats can be very noisy to live in. If you like sleep pay the extra and rent a house. make sure you get a legally binding rental contract clearly stating who is responsable for charges such as community, water etc. Finally make sure you are very close to a good cafe bar.

Best of luck

Flats can be very noisy to live in. If you like sleep pay the extra and rent a house. make sure you get a legally binding rental contract clearly stating who is responsable for charges such as community, water etc. Finally make sure you are very close to a good cafe bar.

Best of luck

Cheers Spanman,

Noise not a problem, I'm going deaf anyway!

I'm looking at the city centre, since my partner teaches all over the city, and I'm no fan of the commute.

Thanks for the pointer on community charges and water.

What did seem odd was the length of the contracts out there (5 years?). Is this for the renter's benefit rather than the landlord?

Cheers

Grant

Usually the contract renews itself automatically every year for 5 years. If you want to cancel just inform the landlord in writing 1 month before the renewal date. I also have written into mine that I can give 1 months notice if I need to move for ¨personal or professional¨ reasons. Also be aware that the rent can increase by the rate of inflation each year.

Hope this helps.

Usually the contract renews itself automatically every year for 5 years. If you want to cancel just inform the landlord in writing 1 month before the renewal date. I also have written into mine that I can give 1 months notice if I need to move for ¨personal or professional¨ reasons. Also be aware that the rent can increase by the rate of inflation each year.

Hope this helps.

Hi Spanman,

Thanks - yes, very helpful! The personal-professional reasons sounds good. Also thanks for the warning on rent inflation increases - can see this being very relevant in the future :)

Hi Spanman,

Thanks - yes, very helpful! The personal-professional reasons sounds good. Also thanks for the warning on rent inflation increases - can see this being very relevant in the future :)

Inflation is becoming an increasing problem in Spain so it is worth watching.

This five years contract interests me. There is no fixed term for renting a flat that I know of in Spain. First time I have heard of having to take out a five year contract. And I know lots of renters in different parts of Spain. Is this a Madrid thing?

Inflation is becoming an increasing problem in Spain so it is worth watching.

This five years contract interests me. There is no fixed term for renting a flat that I know of in Spain. First time I have heard of having to take out a five year contract. And I know lots of renters in different parts of Spain. Is this a Madrid thing?

My company rents places on our behalf and they use a fairly standard contract that, I believe, complies with spanish law and 5 years is pretty normal (perhaps Drakan could help there). No I am not in Madrid but down in sunny Andalucia.

For backtoparents: another thought if you intend to run a car a place that comes with a secure parking place will save a lot heartache

My company rents places on our behalf and they use a fairly standard contract that, I believe, complies with spanish law and 5 years is pretty normal (perhaps Drakan could help there). No I am not in Madrid but down in sunny Andalucia.

For backtoparents: another thought if you intend to run a car a place that comes with a secure parking place will save a lot heartache

Thanks for the advice chaps!

btp's better half found a place in a nice place in a good area of Bar'na asking €700 pcm - she offered €600 and it was accepted immediately. This does mean btp now has to learn the language and find some employment.

No need for a car - and think parking is expensive, but there is dedicated space for btp's trusty motorcycle outside (though how long it will remain there is anybody's guess).

btp

Thanks for the advice chaps!

btp's better half found a place in a nice place in a good area of Bar'na asking €700 pcm - she offered €600 and it was accepted immediately. This does mean btp now has to learn the language and find some employment.

No need for a car - and think parking is expensive, but there is dedicated space for btp's trusty motorcycle outside (though how long it will remain there is anybody's guess).

btp

Pleased you have found somewhere btp, the rent sounds reasonable. I`ve had no problems with the bike getting nicked, just bits off it. As for the language thing, I think my Spanish is worse now than when I first got here.

Best of luck