House Price Crash Forum

Expats Cancelling Plans To Return To Uk

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/offshorefinance/8845555/More-expats-cancelling-plans-to-return-to-Britain.html

All the expats I speak to in France would only return to the UK as a last resort. I am returning to see family at Xmas and it will be interesting to see for myself how much worse things have become over the last 12 months. Even with the pound at continuing low levels, the prospect of returning to the UK would not be on my horizon. I frequent this place though as investing in a UK property at the right price would be an insurance policy in the event of war or similar event on mainland Europe. Other than that, no way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The UK is going for the full monty - collapsed currency, raging inflation, raping costs, a bankster hellhole that not only less will want to return to, more will want to leave.

It will be interesting to see how Europe deals with the banksters and how this affects their living standards, not just for now, but for decades to come - make no mistake the decisions made now can blight entire lifetimes.

HOLA443

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/offshorefinance/8845555/More-expats-cancelling-plans-to-return-to-Britain.html

All the expats I speak to in France would only return to the UK as a last resort. I am returning to see family at Xmas and it will be interesting to see for myself how much worse things have become over the last 12 months. Even with the pound at continuing low levels, the prospect of returning to the UK would not be on my horizon. I frequent this place though as investing in a UK property at the right price would be an insurance policy in the event of war or similar event on mainland Europe. Other than that, no way.

It's really not that bad. Property prices are still a bit silly, but they've been that way for long before the credit crunch.

Food and fuel is more expensive. People are cutting back on their discretionary spending.

It's probably going to get worse over the next few years, but that probably goes for where you are too. It isn't exactly Somalia.

The big game changer could be a euro break up, which could pose a signficant shock to the system. If the euro does go, it probably won't matter where in the world you are.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

It's really not that bad. Property prices are still a bit silly, but they've been that way for long before the credit crunch.

Food and fuel is more expensive. People are cutting back on their discretionary spending.

It's probably going to get worse over the next few years, but that probably goes for where you are too. It isn't exactly Somalia.

The big game changer could be a euro break up, which could pose a signficant shock to the system. If the euro does go, it probably won't matter where in the world you are.

As an Expat I can tell you its pretty good. Just sort out the banksters, do-gooders, welfare tourists & bludgers and you can put the Great back into Britain.

I had the pleasure of telling an obnoxious Arab today that when the oil runs out my Country will still have fertile seas, land, lots of rainfall and innovative people. His will be left with sand and flies :D

HOLA448

As an Expat I can tell you its pretty good. Just sort out the banksters, do-gooders, welfare tourists & bludgers and you can put the Great back into Britain.

I had the pleasure of telling an obnoxious Arab today that when the oil runs out my Country will still have fertile seas, land, lots of rainfall and innovative people. His will be left with sand and flies :D

Did he tell you that he owns most of the UK?

HOLA449

I await this eagerly... A N T I C I P A T I O N... popcorn ready... I think it will all be a damp squib on Wednesday.

They are more likely to attempt some sort of continued fudge. How long they can continue to do this is anyones guess.

My gut feeling is that the euro will survive but not in its current form. There will be some countries that leave. I think it will be more of a managed collapse than an outright uncontrolled break up. I really don't think the euro leaders are that stupid.

The real test is how the writedown of the greek debt on private holders is managed. I read somewhere they were going for 50% ? Is that enough to trigger insurance and if not what is ? That insurance unwinding could lead to all sorts of crazy consequences.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The real test is how the writedown of the greek debt on private holders is managed. I read somewhere they were going for 50% ? Is that enough to trigger insurance and if not what is ? That insurance unwinding could lead to all sorts of crazy consequences.

Aren't all the insurance companies US? That will please the Yanks.

How are AIG shares doing?

HOLA4412

Only reason to return to UK is the NHS and welfare payments. In that respect UK is unequalled in Europe. It's what makes it a magnet for migrants (and I actually respect UK's stand on this issue...it is morally the right thing to do). In every other respect it's just squalid.

In UK, if you're lucky, you can work all year and save up to spend a few weeks somewhere nice and civilized. Or you could just emigrate and live somewhere like that all the time.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest tbatst2000

Aren't all the insurance companies US? That will please the Yanks.

How are AIG shares doing?

It's mostly not insurance companies that write CDS contracts from what I've seen. AIG are trading steady at around 25 USD, down from a peak of 2000! I guess other insurers have been put off by their experience to some extent...

HOLA4415

Only reason to return to UK is the NHS and welfare payments.

Luckily being Australian I can go to Australia for welfare. But I'd never be a bludger, my wife would work and her taxes would pay for my welfare- fair game I say :lol: Besides I'd only do it short term until my business was successful.

Even if I do end up getting out of the system more than I put in, who cares ****** em anyone who believes in this morality BS has just been brainwashed by propoganda.

HOLA4416

It's what makes it a magnet for migrants (and I actually respect UK's stand on this issue...it is morally the right thing to do). In every other respect it's just squalid.

How can tying millions of people into benefits be morally right? "The right thing to do" is a repugnant phrase - just look at who has been spouting it in recent years.

HOLA4417

I see that nonsense that the UK gets more migrants than other countries continues.......in most cases people want to come to the UK for language reasons...Welfare benefits in quite a few other EU countries are better than the UK. Healthcare wise I don't remember the UK being better or worse than Germany. Clearly you need 'insurance' but this is only payable if you are working or have income above a certain level.

Reasons why folks would defer a return is that jobs market is poor and house prices look to be falling so why rush back too quickly. Further QE will devalue the GBP so that will improve things for those with local currency income and be a further burden for those paid in GBP.

Edited by abroad

HOLA4418

I see that nonsense that the UK gets more migrants than other countries continues.......in most cases people want to come to the UK for language reasons...Welfare benefits in quite a few other EU countries are better than the UK. Healthcare wise I don't remember the UK being better or worse than Germany. Clearly you need 'insurance' but this is only payable if you are working or have income above a certain level.

Reasons why folks would defer a return is that jobs market is poor and house prices look to be falling so why rush back too quickly. Further QE will devalue the GBP so that will improve things for those with local currency income and be a further burden for those paid in GBP.

Yes

HOLA4419

Exactly. I also lived in Germany for many years, and the health and welfare provision there is at least as generous as ours, probably more so.

When you actually ask them, the main reasons why people migrate to particular countries are:

1) They have relatives or friends there.

2) They speak at least a bit of the language.

3) It's a safe place for them and their kids.

4) There's a reasonable chance of getting work.

The level of benefits is rarely a consideration - "benefit tourism" is largely a media myth.

HOLA4420

The level of benefits is rarely a consideration - "benefit tourism" is largely a media myth.

I'm not so sure. I was going out with a Lithuanian girl for a couple of years and it was almost the norm for them to come over and reap the "benefit" as it were. They were kind of "you mean you haven't done that yet!?"

A lot of the foreign people who did work (including my girlfriend) stayed in flats paying "cash only" to other foreign people who were illegally renting out their paid for accomodation. So even the honest ones were contributing to the taxpayer fund inadvertently.

This is all in London.

HOLA4421

What are you on about ? The Arabs still have on average 250 yrs of oil left ! I suppose we could double the amount of Poundshops and coffee shops to compete.

They are one of our largest customers and you speak to them like that . They have cash and not much debt in real terms, look up the CIA Debt ratios for every country and you will find that most Arab countries have a very low debt ratio. The Duke of Westminster owns most of London not the people.

HOLA4422

The BIG thing for me are the yobs - check out my post in the IT section. Hardly a day goes by without me getting harrased in this country.

And the news today ... cutting back on education spending for 4-5 year olds and 16 - 18 year olds.

That's all going to help with the yob culture and youth unemployment isn't it.

Also heard on Radio4 breakfast show that most of the rioters were in fact the uneducated youth, and not 'gangs' as the government first pushed out there. I feel they didn't want us to know the real problem that is brewing. A disenfranchised youth willing to riot without the suggested mass organisation of gang culture. More on the way I suspect. This is not good people.

HOLA4423

Exactly. I also lived in Germany for many years, and the health and welfare provision there is at least as generous as ours, probably more so.

When you actually ask them, the main reasons why people migrate to particular countries are:

1) They have relatives or friends there.

2) They speak at least a bit of the language.

3) It's a safe place for them and their kids.

4) There's a reasonable chance of getting work.

Benefit tourism may be a myth for people in your social circle but for people living in an impoverished part of the EU it's very much a way of life.

HOLA4424

Benefit tourism may be a myth for people in your social circle but for people living in an impoverished part of the EU it's very much a way of life.

True.

In Germany you need to be part of the insurance scheme to use the health service.

If you want to live there more than 3 months you need to get a certificate showing you've got a job or enough wealth to live off and have health insurance. That's just for people from the EU.

The Uk is a soft touch.

HOLA4425