House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

£5K For Falling Out Of Bed Because His Office Called And £1,750 For The Obese Worker Who Broke The Toilet: Councils' Crazy Compensation Culture

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052733/Council-staff-paid-75million-compensation-claims-just-FIVE-years.html

Councils have handed out a staggering £75million compensation to employees in just five years, it emerged today.

The payouts included £5,500 to a Lancashire County Council worker who fell out of bed and injured his back while rushing to answer a work call and £7,750 to a man who lost a toenail when a pool table fell on it.

In another example, an obese employee received £1,750 after a toilet broke while he was sitting on it.

Other bizarre claims included the man who won £6,000 after claiming he had suffered a bad back after carrying a bag of dog excrement.

One staff member was awarded £1,500 for 'emotional distress' after being trapped in an elevator.

Hard to know what the real stories are behind the figures, but it's certainly presented in a way to get you wondering WTF.

Impressive that even in your own home and you get a work call, work is liable for any injuries suffered. How big was the dog that had a 5h1t?

It's good to have a read of http://www.bailii.org/

Usually the story is so much more complex than the journalists say, but it won't fit into 4 paragraphs.

Edit: usually in cases like this it's the council that mess up, failing to investigate properly and turning up unprepared (according to my internet degree in law).

Some random recent cases

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2011/1590.html £5K payout for a manhole cover trip.

A more serious case, http://www.bailii.org/scot/cases/ScotCS/2003/17.html Trident submarine dry dock accident.

Slipping in a sports hall http://www.bailii.org/scot/cases/ScotCS/2001/256.html £23,500

The pursuer confined his case to that made under the Occupiers Liability (Scotland) Act 1960, section 2(1) to the effect that, in the knowledge that part of the floor of the Sports Hall was wet, the defenders failed in their duty not to permit the game to proceed thus causing the pursuer to slip on a wet patch on the floor. As a result excessive stress was applied to the Achilles tendon and it snapped.

My mother won her claim against a council. She fell of some steps while reaching for something on a shelf, slicing her forehead open and knocking herself out. Scaring her for life.

The council fought it all the way to court, the judge awarded her nearly £10k. The fees for the company fighting her case was £50k.

She most likely would have settled for £7.5k after a month.

Getting there slowly, got on the "social housing ladder" now get a job at council, nice compensation claim, then ease myself slowly into BTL. :lol:

why was it the councils fault?

I worded it wrong as usual.

She never fell off some ladders, some ladders gave way while she was reaching to a shelf. Should have been a set with locking wheels and base type thingy, not some 50 year old bi fold anything will do thingy.

None of this surprises me tbh. I used to work for the council. The sense of entitlement of everyone who works there is unbelievable. Someone would overhear someone mentioning something to someone in the corridor that could, maybe, if you were a complete f***wit possible vaguely be considered racist/sexist/gayist and everyone who was remotely in earshot would have to have 6 months on the sick with stress, followed by another 6 weeks 'phased return to work'. People would 'work from home' 4 days out of every 5 because they had to wash their hair or take their dog for a walk or something. People would claim expenses because they had to work 5 minutes late one day and missed their bus and it wouldve been ridiculous for them to wait in the cold for the next one so had to get a taxi home. People would 'just pop out' only to return 3 hours later having done their weekly shop...

Ok I'm exgerating but not as much as you would imagine. Its one of the reasons I quit. That and the fact that my job largely seemed to be 'make it up as you go along but just try to look busy' (which in actual fact involved 3 years of surfing the net and skiving as much as possible)

It is/was a joke. Complete joke.

None of this surprises me tbh. I used to work for the council. The sense of entitlement of everyone who works there is unbelievable. Someone would overhear someone mentioning something to someone in the corridor that could, maybe, if you were a complete f***wit possible vaguely be considered racist/sexist/gayist and everyone who was remotely in earshot would have to have 6 months on the sick with stress, followed by another 6 weeks 'phased return to work'. People would 'work from home' 4 days out of every 5 because they had to wash their hair or take their dog for a walk or something. People would claim expenses because they had to work 5 minutes late one day and missed their bus and it wouldve been ridiculous for them to wait in the cold for the next one so had to get a taxi home. People would 'just pop out' only to return 3 hours later having done their weekly shop...

Ok I'm exgerating but not as much as you would imagine. Its one of the reasons I quit. That and the fact that my job largely seemed to be 'make it up as you go along but just try to look busy' (which in actual fact involved 3 years of surfing the net and skiving as much as possible)

I briefly temped for councils and this is exactly what it was like. At Hackney there was one bloke who literally did nothing all day. He turned up, sat at his desk and was ignored all day. No-one could understand a word he said.

My wife worked for the Training and Development Agency and the mind-numbing pointlessness of it all nearly drove her mad. It paid significantly better than managing a bookshop, however.

I got a new pair of glasses off the council when I opened a cupboard and a pile of junk someone had piled in fell on me.

Oh and the afternoon off work.

Why oh why did no one suggest that I claimed compo.

I work p/t for the council* and I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that every single employee now has to do two Very Very Important online training courses on the vital topics of Equality and Diversity and Health and Safety.

I've done two bits of the E&D - it consists of qs. like, 'What proportion of the local population do you think is Muslim/disabled?'

(NB - no mention of Sikhs, Hindus or any other religious group whatsoever.)

So you hazard a guess, and it comes up with a jolly, 'Not quite right - try again!'

*Should add, on the very busy and often under-staffed front line.

One of my colleagues, who incidentally has not taken one sick day in all the 12 years I've been there, has said stuff that for a game of soldiers, she's not doing it. 'What are they going to do - sack me?'

We're all supposed to have finished it by 31st October. I certainly won't have - v little time at work, though they do helpfully suggest that we might like to spend a couple of fun-filled hours doing it at home.

Yes, of course we would. :lol:

I work p/t for the council* and I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that every single employee now has to do two Very Very Important online training courses on the vital topics of Equality and Diversity and Health and Safety.

I've done two bits of the E&D - it consists of qs. like, 'What proportion of the local population do you think is Muslim/disabled?'

So you hazard a guess, and it comes up with a jolly, 'Not quite right - try again!'

One of my colleagues, who incidentally has not taken one sick day in all the 12 years I've been there, has said stuff that for a game of soldiers, she's not doing it. 'What are they going to do - sack me?'

We're all supposed to have finished it by 31st October. I certainly won't have - v little time at work, though they do helpfully suggest that we might like to spend a couple of fun-filled hours doing it at home.

What would happen if you replied "Much too high a proportion."?:)

:lol: I can just about imagine what it is like to work for the council.....once you are in situ it is a job for life for as long as you can grin and bear it....I'm sure that there must be the hard conscientious workers that find themselves forever covering for the shirkers. ;)

:lol: I can just about imagine what it is like to work for the council.....once you are in situ it is a job for life for as long as you can grin and bear it....I'm sure that there must be the hard conscientious workers that find themselves forever covering for the shirkers. ;)

I'd imagine that being conscientious in such an environment would quickly drive you insane as you're faced with tons of rubbish that exists merely to waste time. There's enough stuff that drives me up the wall where I work, and I can see the point of most of it. I'd have jumped out of the window by now if it was all utterly pointless (note - potential H&S issue there!)

I'd imagine that being conscientious in such an environment would quickly drive you insane as you're faced with tons of rubbish that exists merely to waste time. There's enough stuff that drives me up the wall where I work, and I can see the point of most of it. I'd have jumped out of the window by now if it was all utterly pointless (note - potential H&S issue there!)

...put it at the bottom of the 'to do' pile....the chances are there will be no call on it....three months later, if in doubt chuck it out......saves time and money but still wasteful. ;)

What would happen if you replied "Much too high a proportion."?:)

No option for that, alas. Just pick a percentage.

But I will confess that my password for logging into the training site is 'boll*cks'. Should have made it loadofboll*cks but probably too many letters.

Hand on heart, no shirkers in my dept. in 12 years.

Can't vouch for the rest of the vast council machine, though.

The attitude of some people at 4pm who were planning on staying until 5-6 to build up their flexi was basically "no work gets done after 4pm"

It drove me mad dealing with the lazy shirker woman. Satisfying to type out her warning letter though :)

...if you work seven hours a day....your lunch hour in my book is your own to do as you please (some prefer to work through it, their choice)....I had a boss once that said " so and so works through their lunch hour", well more fool them then, if they can't do the job in the hours allotted then either they are not efficient enough or the job requires eight hours of labour not seven. ;)

The attitude of some people at 4pm who were planning on staying until 5-6 to build up their flexi was basically "no work gets done after 4pm"

It drove me mad dealing with the lazy shirker woman. Satisfying to type out her warning letter though :)

Usually the time when I get most done, as long as I've managed to survive up until that time without driving myself mad. Flexitime isn't anywhere near flexible enough for me to work when I'm in the best state of mind to work.