House Price Crash Forum
bogbrush

Seven Billion And Counting

We do seem to be a bit trapped.

We cannot contemplate artifically reducing the population (on a meaningful scale, conventional warfare has trivial impact easily recovered from).

We cannot prevent people from reproducing, and even when we do it is counter productive in the medium term as the population ages dramatically.

We cannot resist the urge to increase life expectancy.

So I suppose 7 will become 8, and so on and so on. Perhaps when everywhere has become like the developed Western nations then it'll stop, but anyone know what the population will be by then? And for the comparison to be complete then each of those people will consume a lot more than the average person now.

Bit depressing really, we do seem to resemble one of those bugs plated out on a petri dish that covers the whole thing in a few days.

It'll keep house prices up though.

Edited by bogbrush

No nature will take care of it. At some point disease will spread in over crowded areas.

http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_worst_outbreaks_of_disease/

A mass cull can very quickly happen, we are long over due one. A fast spreading disease could kill 10% - 20% of the global population in a matter of months.

Well China has managed to restrict people to 1 or 2 people, so it would be quite good to have something similar in areas which are experiencing rapid population growth. Maybe restrict people to 3 children each or so.

However I cant see people voting for this until it is too late.

Well China has managed to restrict people to 1 or 2 people, so it would be quite good to have something similar in areas which are experiencing rapid population growth. Maybe restrict people to 3 children each or so.

However I cant see people voting for this until it is too late.

With excellent infant care 3 = growth.

China implemented 1, but will have a problem of an ageing population in return.

Actually, I think birth rates aren't the problem, it's declining death rates and increasing life expectancy that's messing it up.

With excellent infant care 3 = growth.

China implemented 1, but will have a problem of an ageing population in return.

Actually, I think birth rates aren't the problem, it's declining death rates and increasing life expectancy that's messing it up.

Are you proposing to take one for the Team? Jolly sporting id say

In a globalised world with spikes in commodity prices population growth is potentially a huge problem for some countries. The cracks have already started to show in places like the Philippines where a couple of years ago they were rioting over the price of rice. With more and more mouths to feed this can only worsen.

Agreed.

Massive amount spent on healthcare AND too much debt AND too many people living too long.

Now, I wonder what the solution could be? <_<

'We'?

On avg. the entire global population dies off every 74 years.

'We' don't have a 'problem' whoever 'we' may be.

What's the worst that can happen?

In a globalised world with spikes in commodity prices population growth is potentially a huge problem for some countries. The cracks have already started to show in places like the Philippines where a couple of years ago they were rioting over the price of rice. With more and more mouths to feed this can only worsen.

Perhaps capitalism is the next epidemic to wipe out a chunk of the globe with starvation? The Great Goldman Sachs Purge.

Personally, I've no problem with a 1 or 2 child policy in the western world. We can top up on immigration if need be. Nobodies got the balls to suggest it though.

Agreed.

Massive amount spent on healthcare AND too much debt AND too many people living too long.

Now, I wonder what the solution could be? <_<

You are welcome to die a horrible death from a curable disease, but I don't want myself or my family to have to do this. It is a sign of progress that most people survive infanthood and live longer than 30.

High birth rates will eventually lead to high death rates being required. Therefore a decision has to be made whether to have lower birth rates combined with the current low death rates or to have high birth rates and high death rates.

Of course if we go with your wishes, then I would imagine that the sort of people being forced to die will not involve royalty, aristocracy or the political and financial elite of the world.

How I understood it was the last government encouraged an expansion in the population it contributed to GDP growth....more workers = more taxes = more money moving around and being spent......has it turned out as planned....or yet another case of short-termism thinking? ;)

A fast spreading disease could kill 10% - 20% of the global population in a matter of months.

It's cheery stuff like this that keeps me coming back to HPC!

Logans Run Lottery?

Lifeclocks are a lie, Carousel is a lie, there is no renewal!

World population to peak at 9.2 billion in 2050

Of course native populations in many developed countries have peaked, or will do soon. Over here population decline is being hidden with immigration. I blame education for women, higher standards of living, greater urbanisation, etc.

It’s a little too early to start scaremongering about population decline though. :P

We do seem to be a bit trapped.

We cannot contemplate artifically reducing the population (on a meaningful scale, conventional warfare has trivial impact easily recovered from).

We cannot prevent people from reproducing, and even when we do it is counter productive in the medium term as the population ages dramatically.

We cannot resist the urge to increase life expectancy.

So I suppose 7 will become 8, and so on and so on. Perhaps when everywhere has become like the developed Western nations then it'll stop, but anyone know what the population will be by then? And for the comparison to be complete then each of those people will consume a lot more than the average person now.

Bit depressing really, we do seem to resemble one of those bugs plated out on a petri dish that covers the whole thing in a few days.

It'll keep house prices up though.

Cheer up, we'll probably all be dead by then. :)

No nature will take care of it. At some point disease will spread in over crowded areas.

Famine is a natural cure. Unfortunately the world has gone in to a suicide spiral, where we send famine relief without at the same time limiting reproduction.

Since noone but China has shown or is likely to show political will to do anything serious about it, the inevitable outcome is global famine. Unless it can be preempted by a different kind of mass wipe-out.

That'll be why Dubya withdrew his country from its treaty obligations to allow international inspection of its bio-weapons facilities. Shortly before the world's attention got diverted by "9/11".

I think of this issue often. It also occured to me that while we talk about house prices here (only ever go up, do lots of harm but no one willing to take the steps to counteract them etc), population growth is a much bigger bubble - no one has experience of population ever going down and many think that everything is fine and no action needs to be taken.

As with a house price crash, it's difficult to predict when populations will drop, but it will certainly happen and a major war due to resources dispute is pretty likely.

http://www.epicdisasters.com/index.php/site/comments/the_worst_outbreaks_of_disease/

A mass cull can very quickly happen, we are long over due one. A fast spreading disease could kill 10% - 20% of the global population in a matter of months.

+1

Perhaps capitalism is the next epidemic to wipe out a chunk of the globe with starvation? The Great Goldman Sachs Purge.

Personally, I've no problem with a 1 or 2 child policy in the western world. We can top up on immigration if need be. Nobodies got the balls to suggest it though.

I'll have your neck before you get my nuts.

If you have no problem with one child... Only have one child but leave the rest of us out of your authoritarian fantasies would you. Ta.

Food availability increases, population follows. Not the other way round. It is pretty basic biology.

The supermarkets always look like they have plenty of food in them....more food than people round my way. ;)

You are welcome to die a horrible death from a curable disease, but I don't want myself or my family to have to do this. It is a sign of progress that most people survive infanthood and live longer than 30.

High birth rates will eventually lead to high death rates being required. Therefore a decision has to be made whether to have lower birth rates combined with the current low death rates or to have high birth rates and high death rates.

Of course if we go with your wishes, then I would imagine that the sort of people being forced to die will not involve royalty, aristocracy or the political and financial elite of the world.

I don't think muggle was trying to tell you what to do, just making a logical observation. Some low blows by you there.

Your post, though, does contain pretty much all the ingedients of the current problem; nobody wants to die, we all want our kids to live long and prosperous lives. It's hardwired into us. Of course for all of history and beyond, that impulse has battled against the massive pressures of lack of food, inability to combat diseases, and other things trying to kill us.

The massive change is our ability to feed ourselves and cure disease. So now what do we do? Just carry on until we reach the point where our knowledge is exhausted? That'll be a long time I think, we're nowhere near done with postponing death. There's every reason to think a few big breakthroughs could see us living to 120, even much longer, soon. Plus food production potential is vast, so long as we're prepared to convert most of the World into food producing monocultures.

Agent Smith maybe wasn't that far off the mark after all.