House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Grow Your Own Meat

BBC website: Grow your own meat.

I have long had the suspicion (completely without anything other than a minor amount of anecdotal evidence, it must be said) that many, perhaps most, vegetarians, specifically the ones who say they refuse to eat meat because of the unethical treatment of animals, don't really *like* meat anyway. In other words, although a vegetarian may castigate omnivores from their high horse--berating them about their dietry habits, and reminding them how horribly animals live and die because of those habits--perhaps the truth is that the vegetarian wouldn't actually eat meat even if it could be produced in a way such that there would be no suffering or killing of any kind.

As an aside, if true, this hardly makes such a vegetarian's dietry preferences laudable. Surely, much more praiseworthy is the abstinence of someone who, all else being equal, would *love* eating meat, but the typical practices of factory farming causes them to make a purely moral choice.

However, with respect to vegetarianism, a central point posed by the ability to produce meat without any animal cruelty and suffering is that, all those vegetarians who claim to avoid the by-products of animal slaughter *because* of that slaughter need no longer do without the meat that they have presumably been missing all this time.

I'd rather eat soylent green then lab grown meat...

I guarantee you that our psychopath elite will never eat this rubbish, they will continue to eat prime grass-fed GMO-free beef from their private organic farms.

---

I guarantee you that our psychopath elite will never eat this rubbish, they will continue to eat prime grass-fed GMO-free beef from their private organic farms.

By taking a few cells from the elite, you could grow 'elite meat' and finally get the chance to 'eat the rich'.

By taking a few cells from the elite, you could grow 'elite meat' and finally get the chance to 'eat the rich'.

they used to call it sperm.

I'd rather eat soylent green then lab grown meat...

In theory, lab-grown meat can be tailored for nutritional content - fatty acid profile, for example -, and made free of steroids, antibiotics, growth hormones and all the other exciting gubbins mass animal production currently entails.

An even more interesting point - probably easier in many ways - is that we could directly synthesize/grow vegetables as well, especially the simpler carb ones. You could easily envisage a future in which the bulk of our food was vat-grown with 'organic' meat/veg as a luxury item, and no industrial farming was used. There would be a large energy requirement, but major environmental and probably health benefits.

Even if they can make it taste similar to meat from an animal, getting the cost down is going to be very difficult. Mammalian cell culture is certainly not cheap.

Fungi are a lot easier to grow in vats than mammalian cells but Quorn is still pretty expensive. Admittedly some of that could be down to farm subsidies and Quorn's monopoly on mycoprotein.

snip

An even more interesting point - probably easier in many ways - is that we could directly synthesize/grow vegetables as well, especially the simpler carb ones. snip

amazing. you could call it...I dunno...a garden?

TBH, i dont mind the idea of lab grown meat, yes as anotherp oster said, it will have non of the traditional chemicals used when rearing animals to "fatten them up", but there will be a hose of other chemicals used to make the meat er meat.

as long as it looks the same, (colour and texture) smells the same, and tastes the same, i have no problem of where it came from or how it was made.

i have no problem with vegetarians, eiter, they can bleat at me all they want about the bad things i'm doing when i have my Beef and horse Raddish sandwich, i dont listen.

but its the meat eaters who point blank refuce to touch raw meat, are not prepared to watch an animal be slaughtered for their food, etc. IF your going to eat it, you should fully understand how it got ot your plate, and have had taken part at least once in getting from a live animal to your plate.

i've been to a slaughter farm, i've also caught my own rabbit, peeled it, cooked it and ate it. my missus wont touch a piece of raw chicken breast out of the pack as she doesnt like the feel, but she'll happily eat it once i've cooked it.

eating meat is good for you, but too many people live in bliss not knowing what it takes to get it to their plate,

I've been a vegetarian (no mean no fish) for about 17 years now. Actually, for me, it has less to do with animal welfare; I simply came to find the idea of eating dead things repugnant and at that stage was unable to dissociate the nicely shinkwrapped packages or the cooked lamb chop from the bloodied carcass of the animal. That's what I saw on the plate.

I did read once that most people would be vegetarian by about 2030 simply because there won't be sufficient quality grazing land available any more, and so some meats would progressively become more expensive until only the wealthy could afford them. There will probably be a market for a "meat substitute", that said, one exists already called Quorn.

As an aside, if you drive along one of the back-roads here and spot a dead pheasant lying in the road which is still in good condition (e.g. it was "struck" but not actually run over) - and then drive back the other way five minutes later, you'll find it has disappeared.

Might be a buzzard picking up the corpse, but pheasants are very heavy relative to their size. I suspect it's humans that pick up the roadkill and eat it. Have noticed this particularly over the last year.

I've been a vegetarian (no mean no fish) for about 17 years now. Actually, for me, it has less to do with animal welfare; I simply came to find the idea of eating dead things repugnant and at that stage was unable to dissociate the nicely shinkwrapped packages or the cooked lamb chop from the bloodied carcass of the animal. That's what I saw on the plate.

I think we could run out quality grazing land due to the crazy industrial cereal farming, which really is unhealthy food masquarading as healthy, and vegetable oil (not olive oil) is only good for the biodiesel. However this kind of modern farming requires a huge amount of energy, and depletes the soil. However I'm not a farming expert, and not sure if "getting the balance" right of allowing cattle to graze, would drastically reduce the energy requirement, or the need to spray vast area's with pesticides. Certainly deterioration of the human frame can be linked to the emergence of cereal farming.

Ducks! :lol:

Even if they can make it taste similar to meat from an animal, getting the cost down is going to be very difficult. Mammalian cell culture is certainly not cheap.

Chav breeding farms do cost a fair bit.

. I suspect it's humans that pick up the roadkill and eat it. Have noticed this particularly over the last year.

I've done this with a pheasant. It was very tasty.

Must get around to buying some pasture land...

+1 just some land for chickens and a decent sized fish pond methinks.

Yep. More difficult than a chicken at the plucking stage because the skin is so delicate.

and being flat and 10 ft long probably didnt help....great for sub rolls though.

Nah, I didn't have to scrape it off the road... the only thing wrong with it was a broken neck, which I assume is what it died of.

Got some stick at work though I can tell you...

Nah, I didn't have to scrape it off the road... the only thing wrong with it was a broken neck, which I assume is what it died of.

Got some stick at work though I can tell you...

**** 'em.

Well done!

Echoing this sentiment, the animal rights organisation People for the Ethical Treatment of Animal (PETA) has announced a $1 million prize for the first company to bring synthetic meat to shops in at least six US states by 2016.

oh dear - PETA not supporting animals shocker. They do know what's going to happen to 'the excess'?

oh dear - PETA not supporting animals shocker. They do know what's going to happen to 'the excess'?

Killed, eaten, not replaced? :unsure::huh:

As an aside, if you drive along one of the back-roads here and spot a dead pheasant lying in the road which is still in good condition (e.g. it was "struck" but not actually run over) - and then drive back the other way five minutes later, you'll find it has disappeared.

Might be a buzzard picking up the corpse, but pheasants are very heavy relative to their size. I suspect it's humans that pick up the roadkill and eat it. Have noticed this particularly over the last year.

Foxes?