House Price Crash Forum
The Ayatollah Buggeri

York Landlord Convicted Of Running An Unsafe H M O

Story from my local rag:

A LANDLORD has been fined £10,000 by York magistrates for renting out an unsafe house in multiple occupation. Graham Snowdon, 56, landlord of 29, Gillygate, York, pleaded guilty to non-compliance with a Housing Act Notice when he appeared before the court. A City of York Council spokeswoman said that on April 13, a licensing enforcement officer conducted an unannounced inspection of the premises.

“The officer found that the premises had eight tenants living over four floors and that the premises did not hold a licensable Housing Multiple Order (HMO licence) as it should have, as required by the Housing Act 2004. The premise was found to be severely lacking in fire detection equipment and had a total lack of fire prevention equipment. The amenities were also found to be well below those required by the act. Mr Snowdon was interviewed by council officers and subsequently appeared at York Magistrates court where he pleaded guilty to failing to license an HMO.”

Snowden was fined £10,000 and also ordered to pay costs of £1,216.50 and a £15 victim surcharge.

The good tihng is that this story is now published on a Google-searchable web page, so that anyone who is contemplating renting from Snowdon in future will be able to get the benefit of the appropriate health warning if they carry out basic due diligence.

Story from my local rag:

The good tihng is that this story is now published on a Google-searchable web page, so that anyone who is contemplating renting from Snowdon in future will be able to get the benefit of the appropriate health warning if they carry out basic due diligence.

A £10,000 fine, thats peanuts and a disgrace. How many months rent was that when he's stuffing eight people into his hell hole. More to the point how long was he doing it? I bet it works out cost effective to take the risk and get a fine a year or two later.

EDIT: before you ask, I would suggest jail. He had a blatant disregard for peoples safety. Lack of smoke detectors and fire equipment, plus below standard living conditions. I guess it takes a fire and eight dead people before enforcement and courts really act.

Edited by Redcellar

A £10,000 fine, thats peanuts and a disgrace. How many months rent was that when he's stuffing eight people into his hell hole. More to the point how long was he doing it? I bet it works out cost effective to take the risk and get a fine a year or two later.

For a house on Gillygate (bang in the centre of York) with 8 tenants, that's a few months rent at most. Hardly a deterrent.

For a house on Gillygate (bang in the centre of York) with 8 tenants, that's a few months rent at most. Hardly a deterrent.

He was described as 'so-and-so, a LL of 29 Gillygate', and so I suspect that the property he was convicted of running illegally was somewhere else - i.e. 29 Gillygate is his home or registered business address. 29 Gillygate is a shop (I checked on a stroll en route to meet a friend for an early evening drink just now).

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri