House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EmpiricalBear

Got 300K In Cash? Move To The Us

The US housing market doesn't stop falling.

Now the BBC reports on a proposal to allow foreigners to reside in the US if they spend $500k on property which can include BTL properties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15406776

Mind you, I'd still wish I had about $13 Million to spend on this...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2175-Southridge-Dr_Palm-Springs_CA_92264_M11224-83315?ex=CA510954240

Anyone recognise it? The clue is that 'Bambi and Thumper' used to play in there ;-)

But if your limit is the $500k, then you could make do with this alternative to a semi somewhere in Blighty

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1676-E-Via-Estrella_Palm-Springs_CA_92264_M21411-64301

Edited by EmpiricalBear

The US housing market doesn't stop falling.

But if your limit is the $500k, then you could make do with this alternative to a semi somewhere in Blighty

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1676-E-Via-Estrella_Palm-Springs_CA_92264_M21411-64301

Or alternatively available in Bournemouth for OIEO 300k - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19619844.html ... who can find worse VFM at the 300k mark??!

Or alternatively available in Bournemouth for OIEO 300k - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19619844.html ... who can find worse VFM at the 300k mark??!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34065812.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30486220.html,

The next most expensive 2 bed flat in the town is 160K, and that's without the "must be over 55" restriction which often reduces the "real" value of a property by about 20%.

tim

Half a million bucks to live among illegal immigrants who paid eff all.

Where do I queue?

The other way to look at it.

Half a million to own acres of land and a palacial house, maybe even some horses or a lake if that takes your fancy. Or £300,000 to own a matchbox terraced house with noisy neighbours, graffiti and crime thrown in for free.

Hard choice.

Move to the US, and live the American dream.

Or not.

http://jontaplin.com/2011/08/04/brave-new-world-redux/

Ad Age goes on to suggest that marketers concentrate their attention on the 3% of the American population earning more than $200,000 per year, “who account for almost 50% of consumer spending.” The esteemed Telecom analyst Craig Moffett, in a report titled “How the Other Half Lives” chose to look at the darker side of this picture. “

After paying for food, shelter, and transportation, the average bottom-40% family is left with…. wait for it…. just $1,215 per year, or $100 a month, for everything else. That’s $100 per month for all discretionary purchases, telecom services, cable or satellite TV, movies… and everything else. Indeed, after Healthcare, the number drops below zero.” A recent report on consumer discretionary spending from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York shows “this time is different.” Going back decades, such spending had never fallen more than 3 percent per capita in a recession. In this slump, it is down almost 7 percent, and still has not really begun to recover.”

Remember to keep some of your nest egg to cover healthcare and dental, the US government won't be ponying up for you ;)

What happened to the poster here, that bought a small place in Florida on his credit card, without viewing I think?

Maybe got eaten by a croc or shot by the natives :unsure:

What happened to the poster here, that bought a small place in Florida on his credit card, without viewing I think?

Maybe got eaten by a croc or shot by the natives :unsure:

Perhaps busy living the party life.

There's still a lot going for Florida if you pick the right spot. Dirt cheap too.

BTW, if you have any overseas assets (outside the US that is) expect double taxation on them.

As long as you're from a country with a tax treaty, you won't be taxed twice - you may pay tax at source in, say, the UK, but the Yanks offset that against any tax they think you owe them.

This visa is clearly aimed at the super-rich or the early retired though since:

- maximum age for the main applicant will be 55

- it won't include the right to work in the US

- a requirement of holding it will be to stay in the country for at least 180 days a year

Then why would anyone possibly want this visa if they can get an ESTA?

I obtained my ESTA by literally instantaneous response online and no one in the US has ever shown the least interest in it.

An IRS security guard has asked me about my lack of a visa (twice) and scurried off into the long grass when I told him I didn't need one.

And when last year I went to the US six times and was asked why by the border control at the airports and I said,

"To buy a house,"

They all immediately gave me three months leave to enter and remain.

And now when I go, they don't even ask.

And who would want to spend 180 days in the US?

There is a great buying opportunity there but there are better places to live.

There is a lack of urban beauty in the US and too many people who think they are clever just because they have made lots of money.

too many people who think they are clever just because they have made lots of money.

You see this in Asia a lot. Reality is that they got lucky one way or another, however they generally lose it as quickly.

Then why would anyone possibly want this visa if they can get an ESTA?

I obtained my ESTA by literally instantaneous response online and no one in the US has ever shown the least interest in it.

An IRS security guard has asked me about my lack of a visa (twice) and scurried off into the long grass when I told him I didn't need one.

And when last year I went to the US six times and was asked why by the border control at the airports and I said,

"To buy a house,"

They all immediately gave me three months leave to enter and remain.

And now when I go, they don't even ask.

And who would want to spend 180 days in the US?

There is a great buying opportunity there but there are better places to live.

There is a lack of urban beauty in the US and too many people who think they are clever just because they have made lots of money.

I think ESTA is valid for 2 years, and a 90 day visit visa is what they usually give anyone, they did the last time I went.

Yeah, my ESTA is valid for two years and I guess 90 days is for anyone.

So ...... what's this new visa thing?

OK, if you can't get an ESTA, ok.

But if you can .... digame me mas porfavor ....

Just had a look at my ESTA, which to my amazement I can find.

It expires 02/03/2012. Now that is probably 3 Feb 2012 and not 2 March 2012.

Another part of the language difference that can lead to more than just missed flights.

Edited by indirectapproach

This visa is clearly aimed at the super-rich or the early retired though since:

- maximum age for the main applicant will be 55

- it won't include the right to work in the US

- a requirement of holding it will be to stay in the country for at least 180 days a year

Yep, devil in the detail.. it did sound suspiciously like a free lunch for a while ;)

But if you can .... digame me mas porfavor ....

Tienes todo lo k necesitas para vivir alla en los estados unidos jajaja

[Edit to add: Your Spanish skills will get you a long way in some states there :) ]

Edited by libspero

So im not up on us immigration at the mo. Will ESTA allow unlimited travel into the states for up to 2 years? I guess as long as you dont become defacto resident. I guess thats the key difference here?

cheers