House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Should Gaddafi Have Faced Trial?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8841812/Rebels-accused-of-executing-former-Libyan-leader-and-son-Mutassim.html

Human rights groups and Gaddafi's wife Safia called for an independent investigation into the deaths, which robbed victims' families of the chance to see Gaddafi put on trial for his murderous acts.

Both Gaddafi and his son were filmed or photographed alive and relatively uninjured after their capture on Thursday, before both died of multiple gunshot wounds.

On Friday, at the refrigeration units in Misrata where the two bodies are being kept before their burial, young men queued for the chance to see the corpses and take pictures of them on their mobile phones.

Libya's interim president, Mustafa Abdul Jalil, is expected to declare the country officially liberated today, though the fate of Saif al-Islam, Gaddafi's chosen heir and the only man who could continue the fight, remains unclear.

Within Libya, Gaddafi's death has been a cause for celebration, but its new leaders have been warned that summary executions will not be tolerated by the international community.

Gaddafi's wife, Safia, also called on the UN to investigate the death of her husband and her son, according to a Syrian TV station.

I wonder if his wife said that without a hint of irony, how many of those killed under Gaddafi got a fair trial or had their pleas for mercy heard?

The problem is Gaddafi was caught by a mob, there will only be one outcome when this happen there will only be one outcome.

However there is also the point that we need to be better than people like this and give them the trial they deserve.

Although Gaddafi clearly got to feel the terror that many of his victims will have felt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8841812/Rebels-accused-of-executing-former-Libyan-leader-and-son-Mutassim.html

I wonder if his wife said that without a hint of irony, how many of those killed under Gaddafi got a fair trial or had their pleas for mercy heard?

The problem is Gaddafi was caught by a mob, there will only be one outcome when this happen there will only be one outcome.

However there is also the point that we need to be better than people like this and give them the trial they deserve.

Although Gaddafi clearly got to feel the terror that many of his victims will have felt.

Without a doubt yes. Summary executions was probably the hallmark of his own regime. One would have hoped his successors would have worked to higher standards.

Then again this is the MENA region :rolleyes:

Part of me believes in tough, common-law justice. He got what he dealt out.

Then again I find the IRONY from UK & US politicians SICKENING. Hilary actually cheering and high-fiving upon his death, Cameron not mentioning a 'fair trial' - what is all that about? I suspect we all know...

Without a doubt yes. Summary executions was probably the hallmark of his own regime. One would have hoped his successors would have worked to higher standards.

Then again this is the MENA region :rolleyes:

And what of the predator drones flying and murdering in Pakistan?

Pot, kettle black sometimes, I think, when we seek to moralise about other regimes.

If you Google "Libya executions" nearly all the hits ( I didn't have time for more than the first four pages) relate to war-incidents in the last two years.

That said, Libya stubbornly held on to the death penalty and was one of the countries most likely to use it.

When Hilary Clinton dies by summary execution, or Cameron, or Bush,, or Blair, they'll be singing a different tune then.

It was a war crime.

OK, time for someone to question the perceived wisom on this thread.

Whilst part of me agrees with the premise that he should have faced trial, another, larger part questions what possible purpose or good it would have served. The man was bad to the bone and guilty as hell of countless crimes. Show me anyone who would doubt that and I'll show you an idiot. His own people judged him and sentenced him to the fate he deserved, without pissing about with lawyers or wasting money feeding etc him for years . And without risking bad publicity over his inevitable execution. Best for all (except lawyers) that if it were done, when twere done, twere best done quickly. Just look at the pointless, nay, destructive circus that surrounded the trials of Hussein or Milosovic. If I'd been a Libyan in that crowd, I expect I'd have been happy and proud to be part of it.

OK, time for someone to question the perceived wisom on this thread.

Whilst part of me agrees with the premise that he should have faced trial, another, larger part questions what possible purpose or good it would have served. The man was bad to the bone and guilty as hell of countless crimes. Show me anyone who would doubt that and I'll show you an idiot. His own people judged him and sentenced him to the fate he deserved, without pissing about with lawyers or wasting money feeding etc him for years . And without risking bad publicity over his inevitable execution. Best for all (except lawyers) that if it were done, when twere done, twere best done quickly. Just look at the pointless, nay, destructive circus that surrounded the trials of Hussein or Milosovic. If I'd been a Libyan in that crowd, I expect I'd have been happy and proud to be part of it.

Dead men tell no tales.

And what of the predator drones flying and murdering in Pakistan?

Pot, kettle black sometimes, I think, when we seek to moralise about other regimes.

If you Google "Libya executions" nearly all the hits ( I didn't have time for more than the first four pages) relate to war-incidents in the last two years.

That said, Libya stubbornly held on to the death penalty and was one of the countries most likely to use it.

I stand by what I said. Anyone in a situation of having been captured (as distinct from being a combat casualty) should have the right to fair trial and not summary execution :)

Yes, he should have had a fair trial. Does it matter that much that he didn't, not really. Amongst all the injustices in that region, this is a small one.

Yes, he should have had a fair trial. Does it matter that much that he didn't, not really. Amongst all the injustices in that region, this is a small one.

Yep.

He should have got justice... British style!!

Suspened sentence, 80 hours unpaid work and the local press disclosing the cost of his house...

He got exactly what he deserved. People are only kicking up about it because the baying mob execution was caught on mobile. The only reason I would have liked to see him in the dock was for the humilation it would cause to politcians and world leaders, especially Tony Bliar.

True, although all the evidence suggests that Tony Blair is completely immune to levels of humiliation and public disgust and disapproval which would make most of us want to top ourselves.