House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomandlu

Private Sector Rents At New High

BBC

Average private sector housing rents in England and Wales rose by another 0.7% last month, to hit a new monthly high of £718, a report has said.

It means rents have risen by 4.3% in the past 12 months, with tenants paying an average £29 a month more than they were a year ago.

pressure-cooker-standard-e-mail-view-772187.jpg

Still below CPI and RPI, so are rents actually falling according to that release?

That said, there's no doubt they're rising more in London. Not sure why or how.

High demand + Fear. If you are a tenant, then a moderate rise would seem preferable to hunting for a new place.

It can't last.

EDIT TO ADD

... and below CPI and RPI is no help without wage increases. Even if they'd stayed the same, households still would face more pressure. Going up at all seems insane.

Edited by tomandlu

... and below CPI and RPI is no help without wage increases. Even if they'd stayed the same, households still would face more pressure. Going up at all seems insane.

Yep, rent should correlate strongly to wages (with some fluctuation for supply/demand)

This why I'm really surprised they didn't really rise in the last decade, but are rising now? It's odd.

Yep, rent should correlate strongly to wages (with some fluctuation for supply/demand)

This why I'm really surprised they didn't really rise in the last decade, but are rising now? It's odd.

It is odd.

I'd throw the following factors into the mix, but I remain perplexed.

• BTL was all about capitol appreciation rather than yeild. With CA gone, that's changed

• Low demand for rentals outside of students and HB, now rising