House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Antivirus Software

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Having always been loyal to Norton I have been getting constant requests to activate NAV2005 on my laptop.

On the last occassion it blocked me saying I had exceeded my activations and I was using more than one computer and disabled NAV2005 on my machine after only two months of use.

Impossible to contact support with the problem as following their automated support my problem does not show.

No direct email contact seems possible and phoning UK support on 0800 3316014 just gives you music and cut off after ten minutes.

Anyone recommend another AV software as I am p****d off with Norton.

:angry:

I use AntiVir Guard Personal Edition. It's free and its here. Versions for both XP and old Win9X. I use it on the kids machines (Win98) and my own (XP). It works a treat and has caught a few trojans.

:)

PS Norton customer service SUX. :angry:

Having always been loyal to Norton I have been getting constant requests to activate NAV2005 on my laptop.

On the last occassion it blocked me saying I had exceeded my activations and I was using more than one computer and disabled NAV2005 on my machine after only two months of use.

Impossible to contact support with the problem as following their automated support my problem does not show.

No direct email contact seems possible and phoning UK support on 0800 3316014 just gives you music and cut off after ten minutes.

By' activations' Charlie do you mean the times it will turn on, or the times it will dowload the AV updates.

If its the latter, I have an out of date Norton 2003 Systemworks that allows me to download the updates from http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...s.download.html if I turn the clock back on my pc before installing the updates using the 'intelligent updater'.

I cannot suggest any other AVas I've only ever used Norton

Guest Charlie The Tramp

By' activations' Charlie do you mean the times it will turn on, or the times it will dowload the AV updates.

With NAV2005 you have to connect to the server after installation which converts it from a trial to registered version. It`s the new thing to stop multi computer use. Microsoft Word also uses this method now. It appears you are given so many server activations to allow for re installation before it cuts you off.

My complaint is for genuine users not having easy direct contact with support.

I think my drive cleaning software could be deleting a file which is the activation one.

Whilst AVG is good considering its free, I used it to remove loads on a friends heavily infested

PC. When he bought Norton (not one of my favs) it did find over 50 other virused files.

Therefore I believe AVG isn't the best (even if it is free).

I use McAffee personally with Zonelabs Zonealarm for a firewall and Spybot Search & Destroy for

anti-spyware (although dont get much cos I use Firefox for my browser).

IMO NOD32 is by far the best and once installed you dont even notice its there. It checks for updates every hour and is incredibly effective with 100% detection rate in tests. It even spots viruses before they are recognised by the definition system. I used AntiVir free for years. Its great but takes up to two weeks for new viruses to be added to its definition files. We used to have Norton at work but the level of pop ups and slow down it caused made it unworkable.

We used to have Norton at work but the level of pop ups and slow down it caused made it unworkable.

One of the reasons why I don't use it. It grinds!!!!!

Used Norton firewall/antivirus for several years until installing 2005 (OEM) version failed, forcing me to reinstall windows.

Now using Avast, free for home use and seems decent enough. Not a resource hog, and integrates nicely with Outlook, something Norton always struggled with.

another AVG fan here...

plus i use adaware antiscumware software

i also occasionally use the online scan on the trend micro site, just in case! (http://www.trendmicro.com - have a browse around for 'housecall')

i also use an oldish version of zonealarm firewall - obtained from http://www.oldversion.com, the reason

being that the later versions are unreliable bloatware.

another AVG fan here...

plus i use adaware antiscumware software

i also occasionally use the online scan on the trend micro site, just in case! (http://www.trendmicro.com - have a browse around for 'housecall')

i also use an oldish version of zonealarm firewall - obtained from http://www.oldversion.com, the reason

being that the later versions are unreliable bloatware.

I also use AdAware as well as NoAdware (Pay once). For spy ware I think two or three different systems are required to catch everything. I am using version 5.5 of ZoneAlarm and have not noticed a reliability or speed problem. What is it that you were seeing?

I had problems with Norton 2005 when trying to reinstall it, following my system crashing. Complete waste of money considering I bought it early into the year. I gave up, without redress, and now use McAfee.

IMO NOD32 is by far the best and once installed you dont even notice its there. It checks for updates every hour and is incredibly effective with 100% detection rate in tests. It even spots viruses before they are recognised by the definition system. I used AntiVir free for years. Its great but takes up to two weeks for new viruses to be added to its definition files. We used to have Norton at work but the level of pop ups and slow down it caused made it unworkable.

Yes NOD32 is very very good and doesn't slow your computer down like some more bloated virus scanners.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Thanks Guys for all your replies and advice, will have a look and sort something out. I have just been able to download to symantec a report of the problem from the machine with their installation and lets see if the response is satisfactory. There has been a little bit of naughtiness with the updates I fear whereas updates to the programme have been altered without my knowledge giving them more control over the original version

I suppose I could send a complaint to GWB. :D

Guest The_Oldie

I did use Norton for years, but have recently changed to free Zone Alarm 6 firewall and free AVG 7 Anti Virus.

I've been using them for about a month with no visible problems. Norton online virus check does not pick up any problems.

The best remedy for viruses is to buy an Apple MAC. It has an excellent firewall built into the operating system and is immune to 99% of viruses, worms and trojans.

Plus its a big finger up to the very poor Microsoft Windows operating system that needs security updates every week.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Just installed AVG 7 on their free 30 day trial, so will give it a go, if I like it will purchase a licence.

The best remedy for viruses is to buy an Apple MAC.

Sadly all my important software is Windows based only. :(

It's getting more difficult to compare anti-virus software these days (both commercial and free offerings), because the distinctions between viruses, spyware and privacy concerns are becoming very much more blurred.

As a result, you often here the term "malware" now, which really refers to anything bad on your computer ("mal" as in bad). Most of the commercial offerings are going down this route and are no longer simple virus removal tools, but incorporate spyware removal as well as addressing privacy concerns such as cookies and cache files even.

They are often now called "security suites", and even include firewall software.

Therefore, it is not really fair to criticise the likes of AVG which is free (for personal use), but is not concerned with cookies or spyware, if it finds less problems that other programs. I also think there's a kind of 'arms race' with many of these suites all trying to compete to find the most problems on your computer. Then you'll buy their solution because it found more 'problems' that might be trivialities (example - one program I had (can't remember which) kept flagging up the fact that I had changed the browser home page to the "blank" page as being a possible browser hijack!).

I don't really believe in all-in-one tools as I think you get the jack-of-all-trades problem. With single, well-focused tools, you can choose 'best of breed' for the particular task in hand.

I like free software (legitimately free, I mean) and for the record get by quite nicely with the following:

Zone Alarm for firewall.

AVG for virus protection.

Spybot search and destroy AND Ad-Aware for spyware.

IMsecure for instant messaging.

Trillian as a replacement for Yahoo and MSN messaging programs.

I use a hardware firewall too, in the form of a router.

I disable as much of the automatic 'convenience' stuff as possible with Windows.

I am less concerned about security than I used to be because I now do the disk cloning approach.

It's a bit too technical to explain here in detail, but basically I have two partitions on the disk, one for Windows and my programs and the other for my data. I use a bootable CD, with free software to clone the Windows partition to a file once I have it how I like.

This allows me to experiment with new software and if I don't like it I just revert back to the old cloned Windows partition. Likewise if I have any security problems or general Windows problems, which I'm sure everyone has had at one time or another.

To restore a cloned 4 GB partition takes around 10 minutes, so you can reinstall Windows to your perfect pristine stored copy in the time it takes to have a cuppa.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Steve Gibson`s GRC.com will give your firewall a test. Completely safe and you are looking for 100% Stealth status. It really sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Test Your Firewall

Guest Charlie The Tramp
July 14th 2001Steve Gibson is known for one computer program and one computer program alone: a very old DOS-based disk repair utility called SpinRite last packaged on 1 April 1998 and finalised long before that. Aside from that single program, Steve Gibson has in essence written nothing.

SpinRite is a good program. It has a lot of typical GRC "fluff" but it is a good program. It's not a gargantuan opus by any stretch of the imagination, but it does work, it does accomplish its intended purpose.

Since 2001 his reputation has grown enormously and his Spinrite 6 is brilliant, earnt me a few bob when the techies have failed.

He picked up the very serious bugs in XP long before Microsoft admitted to XP`s problems and brought out SP1 ( I believe was ) 126MB.

They can slate hin off, but even the Law Enforcement Agencies seek his help over bugs which are a serious threat.

Just installed AVG 7 on their free 30 day trial, so will give it a go, if I like it will purchase a licence.

Sadly all my important software is Windows based only. :(

AVG is great but why did you have to purchase it? Mine is free.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

AVG is great but why did you have to purchase it? Mine is free.

Searched the site and found no reference to free download for personal use.

Have you got a link.

Cheers