House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nmarks

Bbc : V For Vendetta Masks

Link

From New York, to London, to Sydney, to Cologne, to Bucharest, there has been a wave of protests against politicians, banks and financial institutions.

Anybody watching coverage of the demonstrations may have been struck by a repeated motif - a strangely stylised mask of Guy Fawkes with a moustache and pointy beard.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrived at the Occupy London Stock Exchange protest to make a speech wearing one of these masks. He took it off, reportedly at the insistence of the police.

They were thought to have been used first by the notorious hacker-activist group Anonymous in 2008 during a protest against Scientology, but have since spread throughout the global protest movement.

The masks are from the 2006 film V for Vendetta where one is worn by an enigmatic lone anarchist who, in the graphic novel on which it is based, uses Fawkes as a role model in his quest to end the rule of a fictional fascist party in the UK.

You don't steel, you don't deal drugs, you don't molest kids, you don't bailout out corrupt banks.

I've always wondered why there has never been a major historical Hollywood-type film about Guy Fawkes. It seems like an obvious lacuna in the canon.

Or why people burn effigies of Fawkes, when they should be burning the effigies of politicians.

The masks are from the 2006 film V for Vendetta where one is worn by an enigmatic lone anarchist who, in the graphic novel on which it is based, uses Fawkes as a role model in his quest to end the rule of a fictional fascist party in the UK.

:lol:

I'd love to see this journos definition of 'Fictional Fascism.' Its not fictional. Its here. NOW.

Wonder if this will prompt more interest in the film which I thought never really got the attention it deserved. It's stood the test of time well and I think is far better than the other film based on a Moore book, Watchmen

I've always wondered why there has never been a major historical Hollywood-type film about Guy Fawkes. It seems like an obvious lacuna in the canon.

It's too confusing for Hollywood - is he a hero or a terrorist? Then there's a religious angle - wasn't he a catholic, or at least a catholic supporter? Might not go down well in puritanical USA.

Also, it might give people the wrong ideas. ;)

Wonder if this will prompt more interest in the film which I thought never really got the attention it deserved. It's stood the test of time well and I think is far better than the other film based on a Moore book, Watchmen

i think the problem is it has that See you next tuesday Fry in it, i wouldnt even watch Porkys if it had that tw@t in it

Agreed, amazing film.

Watchmen was pretty good, actually... but V for Vendetta was incredible. Better than the graphic novel.

Yep, agreed.

Alan Moore didn't like V for Vendetta being changed and took the huff which is why he refused to have anything to do with Watchmen. I enjoyed both (films and graphics novels).

Whether you like the movie or not, it is certainly a telling sign of the times when you consider how many people empathise/relate to it.

Whether you like the movie or not, it is certainly a telling sign of the times when you consider how many people empathise/relate to it.

Bit like Children of Men.

It is quite clearly an updated "the count of Monte Christo". What is interesting is the way the state operates and how V deprogrammes the girl. The imprisonment and torture is to remove her fear. When you have nothing left to lose, when there is nothing more they can do to you, then you need not fear and then you are free. Is this not how our masters operate? Fear destitution, fear crime, fear for your life, fear the terrorist. They will send in their policemen or their accountant or their social workers and take away that which I value. Gotta knuckle down, gotta keep a low profile, don't let them to notice me. Those who no longer fear are dangerous to them because they cannot be controlled.