House Price Crash Forum
jackpot06

North Norfolk

I've spent several weekends looking around this area and wondered what people on here think of prices etc in this locale?

Have been dealing with Sowerby's and some of the information they've been telling me conflicts a little ...so I'd welcome some extra info.

^ Yep, Carribean Beauty's the man yer want.

I live in Norwich but as a townie I don't know what house prices are doing North of the Airport.

Crikey I didn't know Norwich had an oo arrrh port.

No it's just one of those cargo cultist jobs, they're waiting for the the Yanks to return and take some of their women off their hands. Check out their headphones in "air traffic control".....just a swede chopped in half and held together with binder twine.

I was a regular visiter to Brancaster and Wells 20 odd years ago, the wild open beaches that run for miles were and are still amazing, and there are very few people about. I came across a property just 2 miles outside Wells that was a typical flint/stone type cottage, it was lovely property that needed a little work doing to it. It was priced at about £17,000 in the late 80's early 90's as I recall, It would have been tight with the other house I had a mortgage on but I could have done it, my now ex talked me out of it. I loved this part of the country before it became fashionable, then the rich Londoners got to hear about it and prices shot up.

I am sick to this day that I never bought that house, it is a wonderfull area mate.

N

I was a regular visiter to Brancaster and Wells 20 odd years ago, the wild open beaches that run for miles were and are still amazing, and there are very few people about. I came across a property just 2 miles outside Wells that was a typical flint/stone type cottage, it was lovely property that needed a little work doing to it. It was priced at about £17,000 in the late 80's early 90's as I recall, It would have been tight with the other house I had a mortgage on but I could have done it, my now ex talked me out of it. I loved this part of the country before it became fashionable, then the rich Londoners got to hear about it and prices shot up.

I am sick to this day that I never bought that house, it is a wonderfull area mate.

Those are my old summer skool holiday haunts too.

There were houses everywhere in Norfolk just left to rot and deserted in the 80's right up to the 90's.

Lundoners have wrecked the area forcing all locals away cos they can't afford to live or buy there!

By the way don't knock East Anglians - this will embarrass you

We fought the good fight against Roman Invasion as last english outpost - Boudica + fen fighters

We were amongst the last proper Englanders/knights to be knocked down by the Normans - 4 years after 1066 invasion

An East Anglian was actually promoted to King of England.

Cromwell farmer from Cambridgeshire fought against corrupt UK elites but was then betrayed after he was used by other elite manipulators to change the elite rule.

Kett a Norfolk farmer fought against elite/aristocracy corruption and exploitation (taking out a relative of Cameron's wifes family who came to crush the rebellion)

Think police "Kettling" - the idea behind the tactics designed to enrage peaceful demonstrators!

We were the main UK battlefield of 2nd WW with zillions of fighter/bomber airfields dotting East Anglia.

etc

Prices have fallen a lot for new listings in the past 18 months and are definitely much softer than when we started looking 3 years ago. EG in our coastal village a detached bungalow became available 2 years ago (in need of modernisation) and was up for about 215k I think, from vague memory, when the old giffer died and his family put it up for sale.

Then came crash round 2 after the dead cat bounce and it remains unsold and is dropping steadily, now asking 160k last time I checked. Back in the boom day it would have been snapped up for 220-250k, with large gardens and surrounded by woodland, 400 metres from the sea but not in a flood zone or near any cliffs.

Other asking prices have come down rapidly since listings, it is common to see drops from homes listed for around 325k to quickly go below the 250k stamp duty level. The places all seem to be holiday cottage types owned by London city slickers and the big drops seem to happen with every euro-collapse-global economic story shockwave (in other words weekly!).

The greedy banker owners have wrecked the economy but they now seem to have realised, rather too late, that countries can no longer afford to bail out other countries and banks and that they will indeed be taking large haircuts soon, so are desperate to offload their depreciating assets and hold cash instead, before those assets are worthless.

I reckon you should hold on for a while, either rent somewhere or blow 20k on a Wells static caravan in a nice park, to tide you over for 2-3 years until cottages once again become really cheap. We blew our load too early but then again we did bag a real bargain at a realistic price in the dark days of early 2009 when nothing was moving, plus we have saved heaps of rent (cash buyers)