House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

The Nhs

Now before I start I will make it clear that by all accounts - for emergencies and the rest of it they appear to be very good. However for any sort of minor ailment ? What a crock of shite.

Stubbed my toe 4 weeks ago which is normally no big deal. However it is actually worse now than it was just a few days after I did it. Went in for an x-ray just to check if broken or not. They dont do x-rays apparently. Said for me to come back if it didnt get better. So I did a week later. They told me the same thing. I did inform them that it had got worse and not better - however they just were not interested. Last time I had to get an x-ray through my GP it took about 4 weeks from start to finish. it is ridiculous.

Now she did say that the treatment for a sprain or a broken toe was the same - so no point in x-ray. Well that is fair enough up to a point. But mine is not getting better it is getting worse FFS !! And you dont have to be a medical expert to know that means something is wrong and simpel rest is not going to fix it. Because I am resting it and it is getting worse. FFS the logic is pretty obvious.

Could be a ligament tear or tendon or similar damage - who knows. Or it could be a break near the joint - and according to numerous chats on the internet this can lead to long term issues and arthritis etc.. However foto rule out any of this I would need a scan and an x-ray. Anyone know how I could get one of them easily ? And I dont mind paying !! Can I just wander up to a private hospital and say scan this and let me know what the score is please ?

I have read various health/sport forums and people from other countries very casually say things like 'I went for a scan just to make sure it was nothing serious'. Is this possible in this country if you are not some sort of professional sports person ?! How do I just go for a scan to put my mind at rest :blink:

Was in France a few years back skiing and got a wee niggling pain in my achilles. Went to the health centre in the resort. Within a couple of hours hours had seen both a doctor who had x-rayed me - and then a scan bloke who did some sort of scan to have a look at the fibres. And I got medicine and taping and cream and this all cost me only £70. Job done - know it is nothing serious - away you go. 4 hours. And I even got given the x-eray and scans in case it flared up again to giev to another doc if required. How many weeks or more probably months would it take to get the same in this God forsaken country :(

Anyway - rant over. I just needed to get that out. :D

The NHS is not one big organisation. Stop thinking of it as such.

It is a hodge podge of uncountable (and unaccountable?) organisations with varying degrees of ability and efficiency. Even within the same unit 2 doctors or 2 nurses might tackle a problem differently, sometimes that is appropriate other times it is not.

For example, in my local hospital they operate a walk-in service for plain Xrays. All you need to do is get your GP to sign your form and pitch up during working hours. Obviously there may be a queue but you get it done there and then. Many other hospitals do not do this, or some only do it for certain Xrays such as for the chest.

You are right - toe fractures may need to be pinned or screwed if they involve the joint. Go back to your GP / Casualty department and get it sorted.

Alternatively - you are rich aren't you? Just ring up your local Nuff and get it done there. All you need to pay for is the XRay and report, the rest of it can be handled by your GP if required.

Edit: p.s. I think you got ripped off in the ski resort!!!! Imagine if you had to pay for an appendix operation....

Can you walk on it and is it swollen?

There's a walk in centre where they don't do xray on demand, but you can get xray there if the GP refers you.

If you need an xray after an accident and emergency then you need a&e.

All these walk in centres/patient choice stuff is ******.

GP and A&E.

And a&e should have triage system to deal with the people who end up at a&e cos either their gp is shut or you can't get an appointment. There is no need to have wasted huge amounts of money on new buildings for separate services.

The walk in centre in Oldham was originally 24 hrs until they realised that no one goes after 8pm... so it's shut for walk in unless you're registered with the GPs who have their surgery there. Are you following? Does it make sense?

Oo might start another thread about something closely related.

Sorry I may not have been clear. My local walk-in centre does NOT do Xrays, certainly not on demand. Neither does the the local minor injuries unit. These units have their places, but not in this case.

I was referring to the actual Radiology Dept of the hospital, with regards to plain Xrays. You need a GP-signed form but you don't need to wait for an appointment to be sent through the post. Much better than ccc's reported wait of 4 weeks for a normal Xray appointment requested by his GP.

p.s. the reason I suggested GP is that ccc may not wish to wait hours and hours yet again in A&E. Most A&E waiting rooms are unpleasant places because of the other people.

Sorry I may not have been clear. My local walk-in centre does NOT do Xrays, certainly not on demand. Neither does the the local minor injuries unit. These units have their places, but not in this case.

I was referring to the actual Radiology Dept of the hospital, with regards to plain Xrays. You need a GP-signed form but you don't need to wait for an appointment to be sent through the post. Much better than ccc's reported wait of 4 weeks for a normal Xray appointment requested by his GP.

p.s. the reason I suggested GP is that ccc may not wish to wait hours and hours yet again in A&E. Most A&E waiting rooms are unpleasant places because of the other people.

the radiology at the hospital don't do GP referals or direct referrals. You have to go to A&E and see if they'll do one.

GP referrals go to the walk in centre now (And the sooner they change their forms the better)

The NHS is not one big organisation. Stop thinking of it as such.

It is a hodge podge of uncountable (and unaccountable?) organisations with varying degrees of ability and efficiency. Even within the same unit 2 doctors or 2 nurses might tackle a problem differently, sometimes that is appropriate other times it is not.

For example, in my local hospital they operate a walk-in service for plain Xrays. All you need to do is get your GP to sign your form and pitch up during working hours. Obviously there may be a queue but you get it done there and then. Many other hospitals do not do this, or some only do it for certain Xrays such as for the chest.

You are right - toe fractures may need to be pinned or screwed if they involve the joint. Go back to your GP / Casualty department and get it sorted.

Alternatively - you are rich aren't you? Just ring up your local Nuff and get it done there. All you need to pay for is the XRay and report, the rest of it can be handled by your GP if required.

Edit: p.s. I think you got ripped off in the ski resort!!!! Imagine if you had to pay for an appendix operation....

No point going back to my casualty department - they literally told me to disappear. As for GP ? The wait of 4 weeks was from the x-ray actually atking place to my doc getting, having a look at it, and telling me if it was broken or not. Anotehr person in my office got the same thing for a foot she thought she may have broken. She called up numerous times and no luck. She STILL hasnt actually had anyword from them. This was over a year ago.

Local Nuff ? Whatever this is I will do it details please !!

As for the ski resort - for an xray a scan and expert advice from 2 actual doctors up a mountain ? I think £70 is absolutely brilliant value for money.

Can you walk on it and is it swollen?

There's a walk in centre where they don't do xray on demand, but you can get xray there if the GP refers you.

If you need an xray after an accident and emergency then you need a&e.

All these walk in centres/patient choice stuff is ******.

GP and A&E.

And a&e should have triage system to deal with the people who end up at a&e cos either their gp is shut or you can't get an appointment. There is no need to have wasted huge amounts of money on new buildings for separate services.

The walk in centre in Oldham was originally 24 hrs until they realised that no one goes after 8pm... so it's shut for walk in unless you're registered with the GPs who have their surgery there. Are you following? Does it make sense?

Oo might start another thread about something closely related.

Cheers - I can walk on it and it was a bit swollen but not too bad. It just is not getting better and clearly it should be. Not doing any of my usual activities either. I think teh idea of a walk in centre is great in principle. However they have to have the equipment and the people to deal with the things people will come in with - otherwise what is the point.

As above - cheers for the info - however the wait is for my doc to actually see the x-ray and let me know. Never mind the actual nightmare of getting a doc appointment anytime in the next 2 weeks at my practice. Probbaly talking 6 weeks plus before Iknow if it is a big deal or not. And by then it could be totally fine or totally goosed. Great.

I hope you feel better for that. ;)

A little. :D

But I am still pretty pissed off at the money that I pay into a service that on many occasions is a pile of piss.

Sounds like your running is going well. I am rather jealous. :(

Presumably Sarah and ccc both live in the same area (Edinburgh?) and sounds like you both have a CRAP local hospital, certainly for minor limb injuries.

Local Nuff = meaning local private hospital. There must be at least a couple of private radiology departments in your city, surely? Just ring 'em up and book an appointment, you'll probably find your experience similar to that of the ski resort, albeit maybe a couple of days wait for the radiologist to report on your Xray.

And, Xrays for fractures should really be reported by a radiologist (or these days a radiographer) and the report sent to the GP. NHS hospitals have varying waiting times for this, sounds like your local hospital is on the CRAP end of the scale for that.

p.s. your money is paying for the oldies, not you. stop thinking that way and maybe the anger will ease a bit. :)

Edit: Several weeks to wait to see your GP for a routine appointment? Christ, what the heck is wrong with your city?

Edit again: And you don't even have a working tram.... :D

Cheers - I can walk on it and it was a bit swollen but not too bad. It just is not getting better and clearly it should be. Not doing any of my usual activities either. I think teh idea of a walk in centre is great in principle. However they have to have the equipment and the people to deal with the things people will come in with - otherwise what is the point.

Quite,.

They have the xray machines but won't do an A&E xray for you.

They will send you to A&E.

It's insane.

Presumably Sarah and ccc both live in the same area (Edinburgh?) and sounds like you both have a CRAP local hospital, certainly for minor limb injuries.

Nah I'm in Oldham. See my thread I started this morning about whether you can find out about my local walk in centre. :)

Local Nuff = meaning local private hospital. There must be at least a couple of private radiology departments in your city, surely? Just ring 'em up and book an appointment, you'll probably find your experience similar to that of the ski resort, albeit maybe a couple of days wait for the radiologist to report on your Xray.

And, Xrays for fractures should really be reported by a radiologist (or these days a radiographer) and the report sent to the GP. NHS hospitals have varying waiting times for this, sounds like your local hospital is on the CRAP end of the scale for that.

p.s. your money is paying for the oldies, not you. stop thinking that way and maybe the anger will ease a bit. :)

Edit: Several weeks to wait to see your GP for a routine appointment? Christ, what the heck is wrong with your city?

Edit again: And you don't even have a working tram.... :D

Called the two local privates up - they need a GP referral ?! WTF why is everything so difficult :angry:

Nuffield does not do x-rays in my area.

Why can I not just wander in - say here is £300 - I have this injury please scan it and let me know it is no big deal ?! Why is that not possible ? Arrrrrrrrggghhhhhh

You'll be back big man.

Better be !

Quite,.

They have the xray machines but won't do an A&E xray for you.

They will send you to A&E.

It's insane.

Nah I'm in Oldham. See my thread I started this morning about whether you can find out about my local walk in centre. :)

Yep - last time they would not x-ray me at A & E. SO I went to my doc - who filled in a little form for me to go back to the floor above the A & E to get an x-ray. Give me strength.

Just called up my GP - first appointment is 4th of November. :o

This really is beyond a joke.

The roads in Scotland will still be there..

Don't get me started on the roads in Scotland. Especially Edinburgh. They are a disgrace.

Was in France a few years back skiing and got a wee niggling pain in my achilles. Went to the health centre in the resort. Within a couple of hours hours had seen both a doctor who had x-rayed me - and then a scan bloke who did some sort of scan to have a look at the fibres. And I got medicine and taping and cream and this all cost me only £70. Job done - know it is nothing serious - away you go. 4 hours.

How much is a return flight on Easyjet?

How much is a return flight on Easyjet?

I did actually consider that. What a joke. Going to phone up Doctor at 8am tomorrow when apparently they 'release' appointments.

Now before I start I will make it clear that by all accounts - for emergencies and the rest of it they appear to be very good. However for any sort of minor ailment ? What a crock of shite.

Stubbed my toe 4 weeks ago which is normally no big deal. However it is actually worse now than it was just a few days after I did it. Went in for an x-ray just to check if broken or not. They dont do x-rays apparently. Said for me to come back if it didnt get better. So I did a week later. They told me the same thing. I did inform them that it had got worse and not better - however they just were not interested. Last time I had to get an x-ray through my GP it took about 4 weeks from start to finish. it is ridiculous.

Now she did say that the treatment for a sprain or a broken toe was the same - so no point in x-ray. Well that is fair enough up to a point. But mine is not getting better it is getting worse FFS !! And you dont have to be a medical expert to know that means something is wrong and simpel rest is not going to fix it. Because I am resting it and it is getting worse. FFS the logic is pretty obvious.

Could be a ligament tear or tendon or similar damage - who knows. Or it could be a break near the joint - and according to numerous chats on the internet this can lead to long term issues and arthritis etc.. However foto rule out any of this I would need a scan and an x-ray. Anyone know how I could get one of them easily ? And I dont mind paying !! Can I just wander up to a private hospital and say scan this and let me know what the score is please ?

I have read various health/sport forums and people from other countries very casually say things like 'I went for a scan just to make sure it was nothing serious'. Is this possible in this country if you are not some sort of professional sports person ?! How do I just go for a scan to put my mind at rest :blink:

Was in France a few years back skiing and got a wee niggling pain in my achilles. Went to the health centre in the resort. Within a couple of hours hours had seen both a doctor who had x-rayed me - and then a scan bloke who did some sort of scan to have a look at the fibres. And I got medicine and taping and cream and this all cost me only £70. Job done - know it is nothing serious - away you go. 4 hours. And I even got given the x-eray and scans in case it flared up again to giev to another doc if required. How many weeks or more probably months would it take to get the same in this God forsaken country :(

Anyway - rant over. I just needed to get that out. :D

It's very simple. If you want to get a scan, go private and pay for one. What would be the point in knowing anyway, if treatment for a break and a sprain are the same?? Get your GP to refer you for a private scan, and stop kicking the NHS, which is about need and will never provide all the services everyone wants till we're all paying 90% of our salaries in tax to fund it.

I did actually consider that. What a joke. Going to phone up Doctor at 8am tomorrow when apparently they 'release' appointments.

You should ask to speak to the practice manager. You'll be given an appointment that didn't previously exist.

The system is a joke cos they have to offer you an appointment wihtin 48 hours... Not 48 hours of your first contact, but the appointment has to be 48 hours or less after you make it.

Utter insanity from Tony Blair... pretty certain he's the one to blame for it.

What you actually need is just to be able to make an appointment.

For non urgent routine stuff you should be able to book well in advance.

Has anyone had good experiences of the NHS?

I've been to see my GP probably 5 times in my life and on each occasion waited about 2 weeks for an appointment, then 2 hours in the waiting room ... to be told something I can now get on the internet in minutes.

I've visited parents and friends in hospitals over the years and found it horrid.

Recently tendered some work for NHS and seriously couldn't believe how unprofessional everyone was. Had a chat with a contact (in pub as part of that process) who said over the last 10 years, they're paid double and work half.

.... everyone's gonna say, what do I expect, it's free. IT'S NOT FREE!!

Erm mixed. I hate waiting for appointments and ringing up... but they have just done a 24 hr bp monitor on me to make sure I'm fit and well and to prove I just get "white coat syndrome" or "pissed off with sitting in waiting room for 50 minutes in front of 6 empty rooms"

However I want now to see the practice nurse to get my pill (the pill) else whoever else I see at the FPC downstairs won't have access to the fact my BP is normal... but I know it's going to be a PITA to get an appointment and I should probably start ringing now for in 6 weeks time.

They have spent a fortune on tests trying to find out what's causing my numb face and still don't know. So thats got it's + and its -.

Is there a price list anywhere I could add up how much I've cost them?

However I want now to see the practice nurse to get my pill (the pill) else whoever else I see at the FPC downstairs won't have access to the fact my BP is normal... but I know it's going to be a PITA to get an appointment and I should probably start ringing now for in 6 weeks time.

Didn't realise they had to do your blood pressure to put you on the pill ...

They have spent a fortune on tests trying to find out what's causing my numb face and still don't know. So thats got it's + and its -.

That'll be too much HPC syndrome.

An armpill and a legface.

It's very simple. If you want to get a scan, go private and pay for one. What would be the point in knowing anyway, if treatment for a break and a sprain are the same?? Get your GP to refer you for a private scan, and stop kicking the NHS, which is about need and will never provide all the services everyone wants till we're all paying 90% of our salaries in tax to fund it.

Please read what I said. I cannot simply go private. I have to get a GP referral first. Which I have been told will take me over 2 weeks - unless I wait in some hellish telephone queue tomorrow morning. There is no ability to just 'go private' in this country. I am actively trying to pay someone hundreds of pounds to do a few scans for me. And I still have to jump through hoops. FFS I am trying to give my money away !! It is ridiculous.

As for what is the point ? Well a few things. If you train a lot and it is an integral part of your life - knowing exactly what injuries you have and possible compications etc.. is VERY important. Would Wayne Rooney just accept a 'Dinnie worry pal it will be fine' attitide ? Of course not. Now I am not a sports professional - however I do train daily like they do. So personally it is very important to me. I suppose they get around all this nonsense by having a team doctor who can bypass all this bull.

Secondly - if the break is on the joint then if it is not seen to I could be dealing with arthritis - PERMANENTLY - for the rest of my life. For someone who is so into sports and activities with their feet - that would probably drive me insane. And I am not exaggerating here. It could completely change my entire life.

I can understand why doctors and the rest take a certain view. For 19 people out of 20 there will be no problem. It will heal up fine and that will be that. However for one it will drag on and on and eventually have to require surgery or whatever. I just want to find out ASAP if I am going to be that one or not. I really don't think it is a lot to ask. I do pay a fortune for this service afterall. And having a body working well and pain free is more important to me than someone who never does such exercise. It is a big deal to ME - and that is not something anyone in the NHS seems ot give a flying ****** about.

Let us say the same nurse I spoke to was equally into sports as I am. Let us say she had the same issue that was dragging on and on. Would she decide to go next door to her pal radiographer and get an x-ray done just to see what was going on ? 100% no argument yes of course she would. However I am not 'allowed' to demand this same thing. Even though I pay for the service. Outr of order IMO - and doesn't seem to be an issue in many other countries. As I have said in France for a failry minor looking incident they checked it all within hours. Why can we not have the same servfice here ? If I have top pay £70 for it then so be it. However I cannot even do that without waiting a ridiculous time to get 'referred' from a GP anyway. It is a joke IMO.

I've been to see my GP probably 5 times in my life and on each occasion waited about 2 weeks for an appointment, then 2 hours in the waiting room ... to be told something I can now get on the internet in minutes.

I've visited parents and friends in hospitals over the years and found it horrid.

Recently tendered some work for NHS and seriously couldn't believe how unprofessional everyone was. Had a chat with a contact (in pub as part of that process) who said over the last 10 years, they're paid double and work half.

.... everyone's gonna say, what do I expect, it's free. IT'S NOT FREE!!

Yep I ******ing HATE being told that. I may start stating my NI contributions for the previous month and asking what sort of private healthcare I could expect for half that amount (Which is roughly the % taken for healthcare I think)

I have to say though that my NHS dentist is excellent. So there is the odd place out there that works.

[/i]I have to say though that my NHS dentist is excellent. So there is the odd place out there that works.

Lucky you.

The NHS is indeed a lottery. At best excellent, at worst worse than useless (because it gives false expectations). The only sure thing is the cost. :angry:

Didn't realise they had to do your blood pressure to put you on the pill ...

That'll be too much HPC syndrome.

An armpill and a legface.

Yeah every time you go for some more. So every 6 months.

At the FPC it coincides with their baby clinic whihc means the place is FULL of screaming new borns. Which I can't stand the sound of. At all.

Yes it might be although I've been here for considerably longer.

Lucky you.

The NHS is indeed a lottery. At best excellent, at worst worse than useless (because it gives false expectations). The only sure thing is the cost. :angry:

Unfortunately for me sports injuries it is woeful. In fact probably one of their poorest areas. You try to get a physio around here on the NHS and I think the normal waiting time is 6 weeks or more. Just what is the point ?

I am still a bit flummoxed as to why I need a GP referral to get a scan or x-ray doen privately ?The burd said they have lots of appointments free this week so not exactly a 'hoarding the machine' issue. She said they would want to hear what exactly was needing scanned or x-rayed from the doctor. Well doctors are not experts on sports injuries - in fact many are hopeless - and the person I am paying for privately is supposed to be a sports injury expert. So what exactly is the point of having my doctor involved ?!

I go along - I explain what happened and where the pain is - the consultant has a wee poke around - I get sent next door for an x-ray and a scan - he looks at the results and tells me the score. I hand over my credit card.

They can do this up a mountain in France* - for someone from a different country - what is the problem here ? :blink:

* I appreciate this centre will be dealing with lots of sports injuries but still they have a simple system that works and is very quick and easy. Why not have the same thing here ?! Drop in private sports injury clinic that may cost a fair whack - but you get seen immediatley. I just don't see the reason to make it complicated. I suppose that is the UK for you. Depressing.

You should ask to speak to the practice manager. You'll be given an appointment that didn't previously exist.

The system is a joke cos they have to offer you an appointment wihtin 48 hours... Not 48 hours of your first contact, but the appointment has to be 48 hours or less after you make it.

Utter insanity from Tony Blair... pretty certain he's the one to blame for it.

What you actually need is just to be able to make an appointment.

For non urgent routine stuff you should be able to book well in advance.

From back in the day:

Get a spare GP... there must be several in your neighbourhood. Register with all of them.... phone round them all when you need an appointment.

Erm mixed. I hate waiting for appointments and ringing up... but they have just done a 24 hr bp monitor on me to make sure I'm fit and well and to prove I just get "white coat syndrome" or "pissed off with sitting in waiting room for 50 minutes in front of 6 empty rooms"

I take you have had an MRI (MS lesions), Lymes test - what type?, b12 test?