House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

What Rightmove’S 3% Price Rise Is Really Saying About The Housing Market

http://www.planetpropertyblog.co.uk/2011/10/18/what-rightmove%e2%80%99s-3-price-rise-is-really-saying-about-the-housing-market/

Great swathes of the country are living in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to selling. Given we’re four years into this new paradigm there will soon be a new generation of budding property owners who will have only ever been aware of prices going down.

But at the moment we’re stuck with the previous generation for whom downward prices are an affront. It’s clear ego can get in the way of selling for less than you paid, and I’m not stupid enough to ignore those in negative equity for whom there’s no easy way out.

So why aren’t people selling at prices people are offering, because don’t get too negative here, people ARE offering, it’s just that sellers are not accepting.

It can’t be stated often enough but there are many more winners than losers in a falling market. If you’re looking to buy a bigger property you may lose £50k on your sale but save £100k on your onward purchase. So who wins there?

I’m afraid the blockage here is caused by the agents. Estate Agency has moved from downsizing three/four years ago to survival mode.

Appalling transactional volumes have bought the industry in some parts of the country to its knees, and for an agent to survive they must have stock. Facing closure, is it any wonder that agents are telling sellers what they want to hear.

I also bet there are hardly any senior estate agents without their toes dipped in BTL. They're caught between a rock and a hard place.... either their personal portfolio goes t*ts up but their business is saved or their business goes bust through lack of sales and their portfolio remains in la-la land, sky-high pretend asking prices.

A no-win situation where they believed their own bull.

Couldn't have put it better myself.. :D

Also, given that recently there seems to be less coming to market and presumably competition between EAs for new instructions has increased, I wonder how much of this is down to the 'win 'em high then knock 'em down' strategy? Edit to add: Which as I've posted before appears to work

The Rightmove Index. What a total waste of time joke that is. They've shot themselves in the foot with this months figures, all they've done is made out what a laughing stock their index really is.

I also bet there are hardly any senior estate agents without their toes dipped in BTL. They're caught between a rock and a hard place.... either their personal portfolio goes t*ts up but their business is saved or their business goes bust through lack of sales and their portfolio remains in la-la land, sky-high pretend asking prices.

A no-win situation where they believed their own bull.

Spot on, along with most of the Chartered Surveyors!