House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

E-Cigarette

Pal been using one for a while as one of his work mates has one. Used to smoke EVERY single time when out on the lash. Probably 60+ per week. Now not touched one in weeks. Says they give the wee buzz that you get from a fag - but without the smoke and tar and the rest of it. Different flavours too. Apparently nicotine is not considered too harmful to people in these quantities ? Either way must be better than smoking a fag.

Whenever he 'lights up' in a boozer he has numerous people asking him about it and wanting details. I think withing a few years these will be almost as common as real fags.

Seems the jury is still out on health benefits and dangers etc.

However whatever the result I doubt it can be as bad as smoking 40 fags a day.

E-Cig

They've had nicorette "inhalators" out since the late 90s. Just a cheap plastic tube into which you fit a nicotine cartridge.

Still I suppose the e-cigarette Lights Up! Flashes! Emits Pseudo-Smoke! For the iPhone generation?

They've had nicorette "inhalators" out since the late 90s. Just a cheap plastic tube into which you fit a nicotine cartridge.

Still I suppose the e-cigarette Lights Up! Flashes! Emits Pseudo-Smoke! For the iPhone generation?

and the filter version gets a ducks @rse on it

Aye but these ones look like the people actually are smoking them. And according to them they do. I think that is the big difference. The feel and the touch of it seems as important as the actual nicotine. Hence why people dont just slap on a patch instead and stand outside the pub instead !! These are 2 blokes that could simply NEVER go to the pub EVER and not have a cigarette. Now they are not even interested by the looks of it.

Aye but these ones look like the people actually are smoking them. And according to them they do. I think that is the big difference. The feel and the touch of it seems as important as the actual nicotine. Hence why people dont just slap on a patch instead and stand outside the pub instead !! These are 2 blokes that could simply NEVER go to the pub EVER and not have a cigarette. Now they are not even interested by the looks of it.

can you get an e-pipe?

can you get an e-pipe?

I would guess probably so. Never smoked myself so have no idea about these E-cigs. However I know two smokers who ravea bout them. And everyone he has spoken to in the boozer about them has been mega interested.

Pubs as well are getting used to them. Many have an offical policy on 'e-cig friendly' or not.

I would guess probably so. Never smoked myself so have no idea about these E-cigs. However I know two smokers who ravea bout them. And everyone he has spoken to in the boozer about them has been mega interested.

Pubs as well are getting used to them. Many have an offical policy on 'e-cig friendly' or not.

or even a huge Boss Hogg ceeeeeeeeegar

Makes sense, admittedly from the perspective of someone who's never smoked. I assume that the whole habit is part of it no matter the physical addictive properties of nicotine - look how hard it can be to get people to break habits even when there's no addictive part to it, like biting their nails.

Makes sense, admittedly from the perspective of someone who's never smoked. I assume that the whole habit is part of it no matter the physical addictive properties of nicotine - look how hard it can be to get people to break habits even when there's no addictive part to it, like biting their nails.

In boozers that do not allow them these 2 still go outside and smoke and chat just like they normally would. One of them smokes all the time too - not just when on the bevvy. So he does it outside his office with the rest of the smokers.

I got addicted to menthol chewing gum when I gave up smoking (must be 11 years this Dec) ... took me a year to give that up.

But did go cold turkey not even wanting a cig.

So how long does it take to wean yourself off the fake cigs?

Had one of these for months now. They are excellent. I went from a 20 a day man to zero almost overnight (as do most other e-cig users - read the forums).

I still do have the occasional fag (mainly when drinking), but I can take it or leave it, and the way I see it the odd fag is nothing compared to the hundreds a week I used to smoke.

Nicotine in itself is not especially harmful (in small amounts), its all the tar and 3000+ other chemicals that kill you. The e-cigs just give out vaporised nicotine and nothing else. I've quit smoking completely in the past and loved how it made me feel (increased energy, less illness, general wellbeing) but just have'nt been able to stick to it. One fag and you're back to 20 a day again.

The e-cig gives all the benefits of quitting smoking, without the feeling you're missing something (ie, nicotine). Some say its just replacing one addiction with another, but tbh, i really don't care. All I know is I feel and look better, have more energy and confidence, and am spending £££££'s less than I used to. Theres no long term studies on their safety but I personally (using logic) am pretty confident they are much much less harmful than real fags so that will do for me.

There is a huge online community and the industry itself is (i think) making good money. Its all online sales though, the profit margins aren't really big enough for brick and mortar retailers.

The biggest (and this is huge) problem to this catching on is that the e-cigs that LOOK like real cigs (ie, slim, small, light, have an orange light on the end) just don't have the power behind them (batteries not big enough). And 90% of smokers (think they) want something that looks and feels like a real fag. They spend about £50 for a 'starter pack' that looks like a real cigarette, the battery runs out after an hour, the whole thing packs up after a few weeks, they feel they have been ripped off, give up, and go back to the fags.

What you need for a true smoking experience is a big battery and a decent atomiser (the bit that heats the nicotine liquid). The problem is this means a device that ends up looking nothing like a cigarette (mine looks more like a futuristic crack pipe). 'normal' people wouldn't want to walk around with this, and they think its not going to stop them smoking as its nothing like a real fag. (the reality is its the nicotine it delivers that is the addiction, not how it looks).

Most long term e-cig smokers realise the benefits of having a device that works rather than one that imitates a real cigarette, so they don't care how it looks.

So until the reliability and battery issues of the smaller cigs are fixed its not going to catch on with the general public IMHO.

Tesco sell disposable ones for about £6, which are pretty good actually, but they only last about a day. (give it a go if you aren't sure, but there are certainly no cost benefits to paying £6 for a days supply!). - My e-cig habit costs me about £15 a month.

Only thing I would say to anyone giving it a serious go is read, read, and read more the e-cig forums (or contact me) rather than rushing out and paying over the odds for a cig-lookalike that won't last 2 minutes. Most people do this and regret it (i spent about £200 before I found one that 'worked' - could've saved myself about £170 of that if I'd done some reading first)

and yeah, some people are going to say 'just quit smoking full stop'. - I tried (many, many times), and so did millions of others - and I'm not proud to say I just couldn't manage it. E-cigs may well have saved my life)

oh, and as for weaning yourself off, you can buy different strength liquids - my intake is about half what it was 6 months ago - the idea is to gradually lower your intake to zero. Personally I don't care how long this takes. :)

I got addicted to menthol chewing gum when I gave up smoking (must be 11 years this Dec) ... took me a year to give that up.

But did go cold turkey not even wanting a cig.

So how long does it take to wean yourself off the fake cigs?

I don't think that is really the point. For my pals it is changing from one habit that is serioulsy bad for you and makes you smell and feel shite - to another that can smell quite pleasant - gives you the same buzz - yet is way less harmful to you - if at all.

As a drinker I presume it would be similar to going out there and buying stuff that gave you the same taste and feel and results of alcohol - but I would never wake up with a hangover. I can see why many like it.

Had one of these for months now. They are excellent. I went from a 20 a day man to zero almost overnight (as do most other e-cig users - read the forums).

I still do have the occasional fag (mainly when drinking), but I can take it or leave it, and the way I see it the odd fag is nothing compared to the hundreds a week I used to smoke.

Nicotine in itself is not especially harmful (in small amounts), its all the tar and 3000+ other chemicals that kill you. The e-cigs just give out vaporised nicotine and nothing else. I've quit smoking completely in the past and loved how it made me feel (increased energy, less illness, general wellbeing) but just have'nt been able to stick to it. One fag and you're back to 20 a day again.

The e-cig gives all the benefits of quitting smoking, without the feeling you're missing something (ie, nicotine). Some say its just replacing one addiction with another, but tbh, i really don't care. All I know is I feel and look better, have more energy and confidence, and am spending £££££'s less than I used to. Theres no long term studies on their safety but I personally (using logic) am pretty confident they are much much less harmful than real fags so that will do for me.

There is a huge online community and the industry itself is (i think) making good money. Its all online sales though, the profit margins aren't really big enough for brick and mortar retailers.

The biggest (and this is huge) problem to this catching on is that the e-cigs that LOOK like real cigs (ie, slim, small, light, have an orange light on the end) just don't have the power behind them (batteries not big enough). And 90% of smokers (think they) want something that looks and feels like a real fag. They spend about £50 for a 'starter pack' that looks like a real cigarette, the battery runs out after an hour, the whole thing packs up after a few weeks, they feel they have been ripped off, give up, and go back to the fags.

What you need for a true smoking experience is a big battery and a decent atomiser (the bit that heats the nicotine liquid). The problem is this means a device that ends up looking nothing like a cigarette (mine looks more like a futuristic crack pipe). 'normal' people wouldn't want to walk around with this, and they think its not going to stop them smoking as its nothing like a real fag. (the reality is its the nicotine it delivers that is the addiction, not how it looks).

Most long term e-cig smokers realise the benefits of having a device that works rather than one that imitates a real cigarette, so they don't care how it looks.

So until the reliability and battery issues of the smaller cigs are fixed its not going to catch on with the general public IMHO.

Tesco sell disposable ones for about £6, which are pretty good actually, but they only last about a day. (give it a go if you aren't sure, but there are certainly no cost benefits to paying £6 for a days supply!). - My e-cig habit costs me about £15 a month.

Only thing I would say to anyone giving it a serious go is read, read, and read more the e-cig forums (or contact me) rather than rushing out and paying over the odds for a cig-lookalike that won't last 2 minutes. Most people do this and regret it (i spent about £200 before I found one that 'worked' - could've saved myself about £170 of that if I'd done some reading first)

and yeah, some people are going to say 'just quit smoking full stop'. - I tried (many, many times), and so did millions of others - and I'm not proud to say I just couldn't manage it. E-cigs may well have saved my life)

Thanks for that - pretty much what I hear everyone say that gives it a go. And the reason why i am almost certain in a few years these will be absolutely huge. The tobacco industry must be shatting themselves.

As you say the ones that work well are a bit strange looking. However my pals don't seem to care. And as with anything - once they get more and more common and you see lots of people with them - they will cease to be strange. And then they will really explode in popularity.

I visit a mate in liverpool occaisionally - every weekend i've been, there's been a stall outside london euston station selling these e-cig things.

Luckily smoking is one habit i just never got into, wish drinking had been avoided too sometimes!

I visit a mate in liverpool occaisionally - every weekend i've been, there's been a stall outside london euston station selling these e-cig things.

Luckily smoking is one habit i just never got into, wish drinking had been avoided too sometimes!

dont try the E-lager, its not all its cracked up to be

The cartridges are expensive. They say they last a long time. What is your experience of them? Is one cartridge as good as a packet of fags?

The cartridges are expensive. They say they last a long time. What is your experience of them? Is one cartridge as good as a packet of fags?

I don't use cartridges (any more). When I bought my first kit, they reckoned each one was the equivalant of about 200 fags! This is nonsense, maybe 20 at a push. The cartridges represent poor value IMO, and not only that but you have to keep refilling them (or throwing them away) as they don't hold much liquid.

Now I buy disposable empty cartomisers (atomiser and cartridge in one) - a 5 pack lasts me at least a month (£5), and refill them with my own liquid (£10 for 30ml) - I go thru 1ml a day so in total thats £15 a month - dunno how much the cartridges are anymore but far more expensive if I recall correctly.

This is why I wish I'd read more before I took the plunge. General consensus is buy liquid and fill yourself.

I don't use cartridges (any more). When I bought my first kit, they reckoned each one was the equivalant of about 200 fags! This is nonsense, maybe 20 at a push. The cartridges represent poor value IMO, and not only that but you have to keep refilling them (or throwing them away) as they don't hold much liquid.

Now I buy disposable empty cartomisers (atomiser and cartridge in one) - a 5 pack lasts me at least a month (£5), and refill them with my own liquid (£10 for 30ml) - I go thru 1ml a day so in total thats £15 a month - dunno how much the cartridges are anymore but far more expensive if I recall correctly.

This is why I wish I'd read more before I took the plunge. General consensus is buy liquid and fill yourself.

Bit like owning a laser printer - buy one cartridge and refill with separately purchased toner when it runs out. Repeat until everything breaks down in ... three years.

Thanks for useful information.

That is what my pals do. They started off on the other ones as well before working it out. Even with the cost of the e-fag and a bottle of liquid - think it is only costing him £60-80 for the first month. Then after that maybe £10-20 a month.

Peanuts compared to what he used to spend on fags.

This gets me thinking. You know exactly what is going to happen when these get very popular and the taxman loses a lot of his revenue from fag smokers. You can just see it coming. Actually - I wonder how long this liquid lasts ? Because if it is a long long time - I can imagine worse inflation hedges/profit makers than a hefty pile of this stuff.

This gets me thinking. You know exactly what is going to happen when these get very popular and the taxman loses a lot of his revenue from fag smokers. You can just see it coming. Actually - I wonder how long this liquid lasts ? Because if it is a long long time - I can imagine worse inflation hedges/profit makers than a hefty pile of this stuff.

IIRC the fag companies are trying to get in on the e-cig act. Think they were hoping the government would ban sales of liquid nicotine but its looking less likely (in fact I read a BBC news article that I can't find now that suggested the government were going to promote the use of e-cigs as a quit smoking method)

Don't know how long the liquid lasts. Can't see why it wouldn't be a long time so long as its kept cool and dark. You might be onto something there though! Currently liquid goes for about £3 per 10ml (minimum) to the public. You can get 5L barrels of it from China!

actually 1.2L = $48 (£30)...that works out at 2.5p per ML? so yeah, £2.50 per 10ml at present rates. Not much profit for the current traders but as you say, maybe one day it will be taxed and be more like £10 per 10ml!

http://www.royalsmokers.com/2010-06-09-USD-WEB-Quotation.pdf

actually 1.2L = $48 (£30)...that works out at 2.5p per ML? so yeah, £2.50 per 10ml at present rates. Not much profit for the current traders

http://www.royalsmokers.com/2010-06-09-USD-WEB-Quotation.pdf

oops! just realisd 2.5p x 10 is TWENTY FIVE PENCE per ml, not £2.50! so there is a lot of profit for the sellers when its going at £4/5 for 10ml!

Get some bought!

Interesting thread, we seized some e-cigarettes in work not so long ago, naturally we all had ago and I thought they seemed quite like real fags.

WorkingForTheMan are these e-fags any good? From what you have described it seems to resemble a crack pipe. I'm thinking of getting it for Mrs. Miyagi.