House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monkey

Ub40 Band Members Declared Bankrupt By Judge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15348236

Four original members of reggae group UB40 have been declared bankrupt.

A judge at Birmingham County Court made the ruling against saxophone player Brian Travers, drummer Jimmy Brown, trumpeter Terence Oswald and percussionist Norman Hassan last week.

It comes after the failure of the band's now defunct record label DEP International and a bust-up over finances which split the group in 2008.

UB40 sold more than 70 million records over their 33-year career.

They notched up more than 50 chart hits including Red Red Wine, I Got You Babe and Kingston Town.

The court order lasts for a year and means that tax officers could seize property to pay off any outstanding debts.

The four musicians' details have now been listed by the Insolvency Service.

A spokeswoman for former frontman Ali Campbell told the Daily Telegraph the bankruptcy court case showed he was right to quit the band.

"It is ironic that the very week they celebrate their first gig they have been declared bankrupt, after administration began in 2006, vindicating both Ali and Mickey Virtue's decision to leave UB40," she said.

Campbell acrimoniously split from the band in 2008 citing "management difficulties".

In an open letter to fans on the band's website, he said he was "deeply unhappy with administrative practices", adding he had "an ongoing investigation into the handling of my business affairs in relation to UB40".

A fifth original member of the group - Robin Campbell, the brother of Ali - was also involved in the Birmingham County Court case, although is not listed as bankrupt.

The ruling comes a week after UB40 were honoured with a music heritage plaque at the Hare and Hounds pub in Kings Heath, Birmingham, where the band first performed in 1979.

its a shame, i realyl like UB40, i was brought up with their music (my old man was a fan). they havent done much in the last 10 years really, they did the Rugby World cup anthem, and the theme tune to Sliver, but nothing else noteworthy.

any more 70's/80's bands/singers going to go bankrupt ib the next 12 months?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15348236

its a shame, i realyl like UB40, i was brought up with their music (my old man was a fan). they havent done much in the last 10 years really, they did the Rugby World cup anthem, and the theme tune to Sliver, but nothing else noteworthy.

any more 70's/80's bands/singers going to go bankrupt ib the next 12 months?

I hear Dollar are on their way down!

When I saw the thread title I thought at first it was about U2. That would have been a spectacular piece of financial incompetence.

well with a lead singer called Bonobo it would be understandable

When I saw the thread title I thought at first it was about U2. That would have been a spectacular piece of financial incompetence.

Oooooh that would be a shame....... :D

How do you sell 70 million records and go bankrupt?

too much red red wine

U2 were managed by an accountant from day one - played it straight all the way.

Starting a list of performers screwed over by their management:

Billy Joel sued in 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joel#Storm_Front_and_River_of_Dreams

Their lead singer Ali Campbell left in 2008 due to financial mismanagement.

A shame as probably one of the best debut singles I remember a band ever having (IMHO).

A shame as probably one of the best debut singles I remember a band ever having (IMHO).

Aye,

I have to did up the old hpc thread i posted about it, so I do not repeat the puns I made on it..

:D

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=113455

There was one scheme they were keen to get involved in which would have seen us buying up repossessed property to sell on at a profit," he told The Sun. "I was disgusted. It was designed to make money from the misery of other people.".......

.........Former UB40 singer Ali Campbell has slammed his former band-mates, claiming that the reason that he left the band last year was because he was "too disgusted" with them to continue.

Campbell left the Birmingham band in January 2008. The remaining UB40 members claimed that he left because he wanted to concentrate on his solo career – something the frontman has repeatedly denied.

Campbell, who was replaced in the band by his brother Duncan, accused the band and their management of considering taking part in dubious business plans to make money.

Edit, actually, I don't think I can top it...

too much red red wine

Too much red, red ink.

Seems to be some sort of story bubbling behind the scenes relating to financial shenanigans.

A spokeswoman for former frontman Ali Campbell told the Daily Telegraph the bankruptcy court case showed he was right to quit the band.

"It is ironic that the very week they celebrate their first gig they have been declared bankrupt, after administration began in 2006, vindicating both Ali and Mickey Virtue's decision to leave UB40," she said.

Campbell acrimoniously split from the band in 2008 citing "management difficulties".

In an open letter to fans on the band's website, he said he was "deeply unhappy with administrative practices", adding he had "an ongoing investigation into the handling of my business affairs in relation to UB40".

Shame... "Many Rivers to cross" was and is a masterpiece IMO, Ali's voice is lovely on that.

Not a patch on the original, but do love their 'Kingston Town' cover.