House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hectors House

500 Queue For Just 20 Sales Assistant Jobs At New Poundland Store

Seriously - in this climate there could be a series of short pieces in this - The View From the Queue...

In the best case scenario he might get some cash and possibly a new career out it. In the worst case he'll have some great illustrated articles to look back on when he's older / wants to bore the pants of his grandkids!

I went for an interview with an agency on behalf of Royal mail the other day. 5 weeks seasonal work (xmas). It wasn't an interview, it was a mini production line.

Queue of 50 outside room, check paperwork, enter room, queue for 'interview' (100 seats, all sat on, on one side, 20 'interviewers' sat down), they check paperwork one more time, again check paperwork queue on other side of room.

First come first served, yet you supposedly had booked an interview timeslot! Everyone else put on a waiting list, I went on 3rd day of interviews, they had filled all vacancies by then (500 or so temporary for 5 week across various depots), I'm on waiting list, they are carrying on interviewing well into next week.

There were illegal immigrants, graduates, young men, old men, young women, old women, all queuing up.

Worse of all, you had to print off the contract before you came and provide them with photocopies etc. + travel costs to interview, I spent nearly £20, one third of my dole on applying for that job. What a joke. Even the 'interviewers' were employed on temporary contracts.

It would have been more useful to spend my time walking the streets picking up tab ends and pennies!

UEY,

Brilliant. These words would garnish the front page of any good broadsheet. But if you were to find employment there, would you then experience those things about which you write so well and that people here find so interesting?

imho this is indicative of how unequal British society has become and how few real opportunities exist. If and when the shtf there's potentially so much latent animosity out there. Not a good time to be identifiably affluent.

I note that they only interviewed 120. Maybe the other ~380 candidates simply joined the queue? The British do seem to love a good queue! Didn't 1000's queue up for hours earlier this year for free doughnuts at Krispy Kreme? :lol:

They were sent packing after the first queue. Student's without work visa's, refugees etc.

Aye, "sent packing" instead of being detained on the spot while immigration were called round. They actually hand themselves in on a plate and the interviewers simply let them go!!

I went for an interview with an agency on behalf of Royal mail the other day. 5 weeks seasonal work (xmas). It wasn't an interview, it was a mini production line.

Queue of 50 outside room, check paperwork, enter room, queue for 'interview' (100 seats, all sat on, on one side, 20 'interviewers' sat down), they check paperwork one more time, again check paperwork queue on other side of room.

First come first served, yet you supposedly had booked an interview timeslot! Everyone else put on a waiting list, I went on 3rd day of interviews, they had filled all vacancies by then (500 or so temporary for 5 week across various depots), I'm on waiting list, they are carrying on interviewing well into next week.

There were illegal immigrants, graduates, young men, old men, young women, old women, all queuing up.

Worse of all, you had to print off the contract before you came and provide them with photocopies etc. + travel costs to interview, I spent nearly £20, one third of my dole on applying for that job. What a joke. Even the 'interviewers' were employed on temporary contracts.

It would have been more useful to spend my time walking the streets picking up tab ends and pennies!

Impressive, do job clubs still exist? Or do you have to pay to print at them now?

Not a great system asking the unemployed to make a £20 bet on getting a job.

Is it just me or are these stats not surprising?

"Bosses at the bargain chain conducted 120 interviews after receiving 25 applications for each of the sales assistant vacancies available – including two from graduates."

So:

500 applications

120 worth interviewing

120 interviews for 20 jobs = 6 interviews per job - probably well below what we'd do for any technical job we take a look at.

If they made the 500 turn up before reviewing their CVs and cutting them down to 120, then surely the only story here is 'supermarket wastes people's time'?

I think you miss the point

Which is 500 people applied for NMW jobs in a shop , which shows how desperate the job market is , in the past these types of places had a massive turn over of staff and jobs in them were taken as stop gaps , people took them if they had nothing else and they were always avaliable .

Impressive, do job clubs still exist? Or do you have to pay to print at them now?

Not a great system asking the unemployed to make a £20 bet on getting a job.

AFAIK, the Job Centre (given notice) should be able to refund you any expenses of going to interviews.

A family member of mine went for a warehouse job a few years ago for a famous DIY chain..they refused to even interview her because they had a degree...

AFAIK, the Job Centre (given notice) should be able to refund you any expenses of going to interviews.

A family member of mine went for a warehouse job a few years ago for a famous DIY chain..they refused to even interview her because they had a degree...

It must be above 16 hours a week and last for 3months or more...

It has occurred to me more than once that Unemployed Youth (or whatever his current incarnation is) should turn his experiences in to a book, or at the very least a blog. He has a knack for cutting right through to the pointlessness of it all.

There was a guy a couple of years ago who blogged about being unemployed and looking for work (linked here), he was successful at it... until he got a job! :huh:

It must be above 16 hours a week and last for 3months or more...

I like your writing too.

As for the above, as well as the mass of minimum wage jobs, a lot of them are on short-term rolling contracts. There really is much wrong with how things have turned out, none of it equates with the ludicrous cost of living we have and expectations people are have or the peer pressure.

Visited a new-town shopping centre recently that I have not been to for three years....most of the shops were discount this or that, 99p, or poundland, I was most surprised.....I bought a couple of £1 items and they refused to take a debit card, they said to use a debit card I only had to buy two or three more £1 items so I left. ;)

You could have at least offered a pound of flesh instead

:D