House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hectors House

500 Queue For Just 20 Sales Assistant Jobs At New Poundland Store

Bosses at the bargain chain conducted 120 interviews after receiving 25 applications for each of the sales assistant vacancies available – including two from graduates.

An analyst said the deluge of candidates for the low-paid, unskilled roles showed that, in some areas of the country, jobs are ‘like water in the desert’.

Poundland did not reveal details of the pay packets offered to the successful candidates, who will work in Walsall, but adverts for sales assistant positions at other stores list the salary as ‘meeting’ or ‘exceeding’ the national minimum wage of £6.08p for someone over 21.

Official figures showed last week that unemployment had reached a 17-year high, with more than 2.5million out of work.

Dr John Philpott, chief economist at the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, said there was a ‘desperate scramble’ for private sector roles in areas where public jobs had been cut. ‘We are not talking about vastly skilled jobs, we are talking about people applying for anything that’s available,’ he said.

He added there was an average of six people for every job but there were ‘pockets’ where up to 30 candidates were applying for every role.

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said the disclosure by Poundland was a ‘graphic illustration of the extent of the UK’s jobs crisis’. ‘People are desperate to work but there are simply not enough jobs to go round,’ he added.

Shadow employment minister Stephen Timms said: ‘Unemployment is soaring and more young people are out of work than ever before.’

The Department for Work and Pensions claimed Jobcentre Plus had 10,000 vacancies every working day. A spokeswoman said the government was ‘committed to support the economy and encourage businesses to invest and create jobs’.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/878903-500-queue-for-just-20-sales-assistant-jobs-at-new-poundland-store#ixzz1b7SuMOrQ

How many went to Polish workers?

Poundland actually get free workers from the Jobcentre. The old "New Deal" I think.

Not noticed any foreign workers in our local Poundlands (have three I think). 100% British staff on the shop floor from what I can see.

people are clearly willing to queue for the best jobs.

It is an indictment of our young peoples willingness to got he extra mile to support themselves and their families....hozaa!

It's fecking pathetic this country. Once you've secured that shit job in poundland, then what??

You can treat yourself to a bigger cardboard box to sleep in..........

Edited by Wait & See

Poundland actually get free workers from the Jobcentre. The old "New Deal" I think.

Not noticed any foreign workers in our local Poundlands (have three I think). 100% British staff on the shop floor from what I can see.

Yeah one of our neighbours has been doing this. Not sure if he's still unpaid though.

Are English people willing to pick vegetables yet?

Someones willingness to do a job depends on the choices available to them. Give polish people the option of getting the same benefits as english people and you wont see many of them out in the fields picking vegetables ....

Edited by goldbug9999

Someones willingness to do a job depends on the choices available to them. Give polish people the option of getting the same benefits as english people and you wont see many of them out in the fields picking vegetables ....

+1

Visited a new-town shopping centre recently that I have not been to for three years....most of the shops were discount this or that, 99p, or poundland, I was most surprised.....I bought a couple of £1 items and they refused to take a debit card, they said to use a debit card I only had to buy two or three more £1 items so I left. ;)

I went for an interview with an agency on behalf of Royal mail the other day. 5 weeks seasonal work (xmas). It wasn't an interview, it was a mini production line.

Queue of 50 outside room, check paperwork, enter room, queue for 'interview' (100 seats, all sat on, on one side, 20 'interviewers' sat down), they check paperwork one more time, again check paperwork queue on other side of room.

First come first served, yet you supposedly had booked an interview timeslot! Everyone else put on a waiting list, I went on 3rd day of interviews, they had filled all vacancies by then (500 or so temporary for 5 week across various depots), I'm on waiting list, they are carrying on interviewing well into next week.

There were illegal immigrants, graduates, young men, old men, young women, old women, all queuing up.

Worse of all, you had to print off the contract before you came and provide them with photocopies etc. + travel costs to interview, I spent nearly £20, one third of my dole on applying for that job. What a joke. Even the 'interviewers' were employed on temporary contracts.

It would have been more useful to spend my time walking the streets picking up tab ends and pennies!

I went for an interview with an agency on behalf of Royal mail the other day. 5 weeks seasonal work (xmas). It wasn't an interview, it was a mini production line.

Queue of 50 outside room, check paperwork, enter room, queue for 'interview' (100 seats, all sat on, on one side, 20 'interviewers' sat down), they check paperwork one more time, again check paperwork queue on other side of room.

First come first served, yet you supposedly had booked an interview timeslot! Everyone else put on a waiting list, I went on 3rd day of interviews, they had filled all vacancies by then (500 or so temporary for 5 week across various depots), I'm on waiting list, they are carrying on interviewing well into next week.

There were illegal immigrants, graduates, young men, old men, young women, old women, all queuing up.

Worse of all, you had to print off the contract before you came and provide them with photocopies etc. + travel costs to interview, I spent nearly £20, one third of my dole on applying for that job. What a joke. Even the 'interviewers' were employed on temporary contracts.

It would have been more useful to spend my time walking the streets picking up tab ends and pennies!

Is there no way you can apply for them to re imburse you for the expense in going for the interview?

Is there not a tech college near you where you can learn plumbing, carpentry, electrical installation, bricklaying etc.?

Not wanting to sound alarmist, but I think anyone who doesn't have a useful trade in the near future will only have the option of farm work.

Is it just me or are these stats not surprising?

"Bosses at the bargain chain conducted 120 interviews after receiving 25 applications for each of the sales assistant vacancies available – including two from graduates."

So:

500 applications

120 worth interviewing

120 interviews for 20 jobs = 6 interviews per job - probably well below what we'd do for any technical job we take a look at.

If they made the 500 turn up before reviewing their CVs and cutting them down to 120, then surely the only story here is 'supermarket wastes people's time'?

I'm not being funny here - take a camera next time and get a few snaps of the queue. Then string together a few words - you seem fairly literate - then send it the local and national press as see if they are interested in publishing it.

It's fecking pathetic this country. Once you've secured that shit job in poundland, then what??

Then you have a baby, and the government will top up your £800 a month wage with another £1k+ worth of various benefits and tax credits.

Is there no way you can apply for them to re imburse you for the expense in going for the interview?

You can get your travel costs back if the job lasts longer than 3months and you have a fixed minimum amount of hours.

If only those types of jobs were available!

I'm not being funny here - take a camera next time and get a few snaps of the queue. Then string together a few words - you seem fairly literate - then send it the local and national press as see if they are interested in publishing it.

I think I will, I reckon the Guardian might print something like that. Might even pay me for it too, and then I'll be able to cover the rent rise rather than HB.

I think I will, I reckon the Guardian might print something like that. Might even pay me for it too, and then I'll be able to cover the rent rise rather than HB.

I actually suggest you do go through with it - let us know how you get on!!

Someone's fibbing.

You can treat yourself to a bigger cardboard box to sleep in..........

It's pocket money while you lodge at your parents for the next 40 years.

Guest eight

It has occurred to me more than once that Unemployed Youth (or whatever his current incarnation is) should turn his experiences in to a book, or at the very least a blog. He has a knack for cutting right through to the pointlessness of it all.

Seriously - in this climate there could be a series of short pieces in this - The View From the Queue...