House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Replacement Laptop Power Adaptors

IT Hardware support Q

The original power adaptor for my 4 yr old laptop has given up. The official replacement is 63 quid but there are a multitude of shonky 3rd party units on amazon/bay of E for 20 quid. I've heard that's lots of the cheap adaptors only last about a year, anyone got any recommendation for good 3rd party manufacturers/suppliers or do I just take a chance with a cheap one?

Laptop is an Advent 7203 if that helps, 19V, 3.42A supply.

Purchased a U.K supplied one from ebay for my parents Toshiba laptop for £20 a couple of years ago, still going strong. Beware of Chinese sellers, we have about 1000 counterfeit ones in the evidence store at work which where being shipped from the U.K but being purchased from a Chinese seller.

Purchased a U.K supplied one from ebay for my parents Toshiba laptop for £20 a couple of years ago, still going strong. Beware of Chinese sellers, we have about 1000 counterfeit ones in the evidence store at work which where being shipped from the U.K but being purchased from a Chinese seller.

Therein lies the problem. I suppose I could settle for a shorter life but I don't want it to burn the house down.

My instinct would be to take a chance with a cheap 'n chinkie one.

Personally I'd never leave it plugged in unattended anyway (not keen on what an 80-90w drain would do to my leccy bill), and so that eliminates the fire risk - as in, if you see it smoking or something, unplug it and get it out of the house quick. My experience with no-name Chinese electronics stuff from Ebay is that nine out of ten items work as advertised and are fit for purpose, and that's a good enough hit rate to be worth taking the risk.

In this case, if the thing lasts more than three years (assuming that you intend to keep using that laptop for more than three years from now), you're winning.

IT Hardware support Q

The original power adaptor for my 4 yr old laptop has given up. The official replacement is 63 quid but there are a multitude of shonky 3rd party units on amazon/bay of E for 20 quid. I've heard that's lots of the cheap adaptors only last about a year, anyone got any recommendation for good 3rd party manufacturers/suppliers or do I just take a chance with a cheap one?

This one on amazon is at least 'fulfilled by amazon', so you can return it very easily for a refund if it looks shoddy or falls apart quickly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Advent-Laptop-Charger-Supply/dp/B002F14XJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318888427&sr=8-1

I bought one off Ebay about 9 months ago. It worked, but ran a bit hot, then packed up after 6 months. The company ignored my requests for a replacement :(.

I replaced it with one from this company, which is fine so far. Runs cool but I've only had it for a couple of months so time will tell.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ssas12345/_i.html?_nkw=advent+7203&submit=Search&_sid=1019919674

I bought one off Ebay about 9 months ago. It worked, but ran a bit hot, then packed up after 6 months. The company ignored my requests for a replacement :(.

I replaced it with one from this company, which is fine so far. Runs cool but I've only had it for a couple of months so time will tell.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ssas12345/_i.html?_nkw=advent+7203&submit=Search&_sid=1019919674

Thanks that's the sort of experience I was looking for.

My crappy laptop pc blew up when I was in tripoli (some time ago).

Bought a new one from maplin had a range of plugs and an adjuster dial to change the volts.

It's worked fine for the last 2 years but was a bit expensive iirc

They're supposed to be ok but as you say a bit pricey. This laptop isn't used so much now so I'll chance a cheap one.

Thanks that's the sort of experience I was looking for.

The company I linked to seems good and is not the one who supplied the first adaptor that packed up. For five or six quid you can't go too far wrong.

I use a Trust replacement power supply and it has been o.k. (got it to get rid of a ground loop).

The adaptor itself is quite large and the connection to the back of the laptop isn't as nicely snug as the official one. It was about £25 from Play.com. Otherwise has worked fine for 2+ years.

You can select one here;

http://www.trust.com/products/group.aspx?coll=POWER-ADAPTERS

IT Hardware support Q

Probably OK with a cheap one. Even if you end up buying 2 or 3..

Just make sure that if you leave it overnight, make sure it's not sitting on anything flammable.

Recommend buying a second hand original power supply on Ebay as the replacement, should be as cheap as the knock offs but known spec.

Also have one of the multiple output adapters - useful and works well, but these as mentioned can be a little expensive to use just as a replacement for an adapter for a single machine.

Purchased a cheapo one from HK a few years ago for my Acer Travelmate. Still going strong but only used very occassionally. In fact I've known Maplin's multi power adaptors for laptops (usually come with a range of connectors, and voltage settings) last a lot less time.

If you've got a local PC / Laptop repair shop it's worth popping down there first. My Sammy netbook power supply died; I found all the usual PSU suppliers on eBay then it occurred to me to check with the local computer bits / repair shop and he boxes full of them, orphaned from old laptops. Just searched through for a 19v Samsung one and it worked fine; gave him a fiver for it.

My instinct would be to take a chance with a cheap 'n chinkie one.

Personally I'd never leave it plugged in unattended anyway (not keen on what an 80-90w drain would do to my leccy bill), and so that eliminates the fire risk - as in, if you see it smoking or something, unplug it and get it out of the house quick. My experience with no-name Chinese electronics stuff from Ebay is that nine out of ten items work as advertised and are fit for purpose, and that's a good enough hit rate to be worth taking the risk.

In this case, if the thing lasts more than three years (assuming that you intend to keep using that laptop for more than three years from now), you're winning.

TBH the vast amount of the cheap 'from China' listings on ebay are the same stuff you would get through a more traditional source.

Even if something was a knock-off of something branded the chances are the same factory in China will also be manufacturing for some OEMs - there aren't as many different manufacturers for a lot of products as people might think these days.

Trading Standards/Watchdog seem to periodically wobble on about the dangers of online stuff coming with an unearthed non-UK plug but TBH there's plenty of countries where two-pin plugs are just standard.