House Price Crash Forum
Wait & See

It's Amazing How Low

16k = £1,100 per month

20k = £1,300 per month

30k = £1,800 per month

40k = £2,400 per month

Laughable. So someone in the top 5% of earners takes home £2,400 per month. :lol: Shockingly low and is why the middle classes are about to get burried.

As you can see from the numbers above, there is little point in getting promoted these days, as most people are on between 20k and 40k.........a difference of £1,100 per month from top to bottom, which is quite frankly chicken feed and not worth the stress for.

It's pathetic how 95% of the population work for practically nothing, yet get all worked up about job titles and other rubbish like that. The managers of the world don't do much better than the workers by the look of it.

16k = £1,100 per month

20k = £1,300 per month

30k = £1,800 per month

40k = £2,400 per month

Laughable. So someone in the top 5% of earners takes home £2,400 per month. :lol: Shockingly low and is why the middle classes are about to get burried.

As you can see from the numbers above, there is little point in getting promoted these days, as most people are on between 20k and 40k.........a difference of £1,100 per month from top to bottom, which is quite frankly chicken feed and not worth the stress for.

It's pathetic how 95% of the population work for practically nothing, yet get all worked up about job titles and other rubbish like that. The managers of the world don't do much better than the workers by the look of it.

...more so when those with families on the lower 20-30K mark get benefits to catch up....this is a recipe for the end game ..and is pure communism...what else would you expect from Gordo and Nuliebour....?... :rolleyes:

I finished the third year of my electrical apprenticeship recently, and am still clearing £860 a month (After tax etc) as I have been for two years. I don't get fuel, sick pay, or a van.

...more so when those with families on the lower 20-30K mark get benefits to catch up....this is a recipe for the end game ..and is pure communism...what else would you expect from Gordo and Nuliebour....?... :rolleyes:

Someone who I would like to credit, but I cant remember who it was, posted on here that Gordon had managed to implement a tax credits system that meant people with children were all likely to be getting the same income as everyone else as long as the main earner was on 40K or less, after tax and after benefits.

Whether that is good or bad I wouldnt like to say, but you have to admire the achievement in a strange sort of way.

16k = £1,100 per month

20k = £1,300 per month

30k = £1,800 per month

40k = £2,400 per month

Slavery was never abolished, merely repackaged. The ominous thing now is that our masters need fewer and fewer slaves as more and more processes, from farming to manufacturing, and even warfare, are automated.

Q: What's even cheaper and less trouble than a robot?

A: A really, really cheap slave.

Somehow I don't think most people in this country earn between £20k & £40k. a year

75% of the staff in my highly paid public sector Govt dept (roughly 65000 people) earn under £20k pa

Edited by jaynewcastle

A point often overlooked in threads like this is that some people enjoy their work, perhaps because of a sense of achievement or fulfilment or perhaps because they like the people they work with, or all manner of other reasons too.

It's not for you to tell someone who enjoys what they do that they're being exploited, their job is rubbish and their pay is chicken feed. Who the hell are you?

If you work through an Agency your take home pay can be even less as they take a cut of your earnings.

I think I read somewhere that most people strive to be on 30k a year as they think that will be enough to live and enjoy life, from the look of things they might need to aim a bit higher.

Edited by Downside

Even at 80K its a paltry £4,400

If I'm working, my subsistence level is about 2k/month: 1k rent&bills about £250/week on fuel, food and other sundries. But even that makes no allowance for car tax & insurance, holidays or any other non-monthly expense that happens to come along so even as a single person on lowish rent (<700) I need 3k takehome a month minimum to feel like I'm not living hand to mouth.

I have no idea how people on "normal" wages get by, ... oh wait .... by MEWing the living f*ck out thier over priced house .... well that little wheeze is well and truly over now isnt it.

Edited by goldbug9999

A point often overlooked in threads like this is that some people enjoy their work, perhaps because of a sense of achievement or fulfilment or perhaps because they like the people they work with, or all manner of other reasons too.

It's not for you to tell someone who enjoys what they do that they're being exploited, their job is rubbish and their pay is chicken feed. Who the hell are you?

Enjoyment of the job doesn't change it being exploitation, poorly paid or rubbish.

All I am doing is highlighting how pathetic salaries are in this country. If someone is happy in their work then that's great but It still doesn't disguise the fact that salaries in 2011 are a total joke, yet most people like to think that they are getting somewhere if they get a promotion.

In terms of financial reward, they are'nt imo.

I disagree - £1,100 a month is alot if you consider all fixed costs being equal (disregarding welfare payments).

Let's say both men have a base line expenditure of £800per month for rent, utilities, transport and food.

The first man on £20k has a disposable income of £500 while the second man has more than x3 that of the first.

Someone who I would like to credit, but I cant remember who it was, posted on here that Gordon had managed to implement a tax credits system that meant people with children were all likely to be getting the same income as everyone else as long as the main earner was on 40K or less, after tax and after benefits.

Whether that is good or bad I wouldnt like to say, but you have to admire the achievement in a strange sort of way.

That was me

The marginal tax rate is as high as 97% if you have kids. That is to say if you go from a wage of 20k to 21k your take hone pay increases by only 30 a YEAR

So those families earning from 15k to 40k take home roughly the same wage.

The reason the system hasn't collapsed is simply because most families don't know this. Aftetall if you were on 35k wouldn't you ask your boss for a wage/hours cut. Go to 28k wage and work only 4 days a week. Your take home pay will only be about 10 quid less. Hell you could save that from less transport/food costs

Or even do 3 days and earn 21k

If I'm working, my subsistence level is about 2k/month: 1k rent&bills about £250/week on fuel, food and other sundries. But even that makes no allowance for car tax & insurance, holidays or any other non-monthly expense that happens to come along so even as a single person on lowish rent (<700) I need 3k takehome a month minimum to feel like I'm not living hand to mouth.

I have no idea how people on "normal" wages get by, ... oh wait .... by MEWing the living f*ck out thier over priced house .... well that little wheeze is well and truly over now isnt it.

What the hell are you doing? We are a family of four paying 1410 rent/month, and spending on "basics" is 3K/month. That includes travel, food and clothes and all bills. And we could easily get it down 300 quid.

Edited by the_duke_of_hazzard

you need to be a miilionaire or a politician to live in this Country these days.

Middle classes in South - yes. There was a thread about middle class family living in the South vs same family living in the North some time ago.

If you mean "promoted to become a manager" then I'd say yes.

However, becoming/being a top man who actually rolls up the sleeves and gets the job done in time and on budget has never been more rewarding and job-secure. At least in my career' time which started back in mid-1980s. And I've changed industries only 3 times. :P

Nowadays the managers cannot do the employees jobs and that's why middle management gets decimated.

See several recent threads on this topic.

Arguably you (still) could have a pension plan with your company or stakeholder plan with provider who allows you to switch between asset classes for free. Aviva corporate pension plan was providing such opportunity some time ago and for free. Sadly, it's not free anymore :angry:

In either case, HMG will top up your pension contributions close to 40% (not exactly 40% contrary to popular belief). And switching between asset classes at right times could help you preserve the value of your pension plan.

You can also use a £243 p/m childcare voucher, free of basic rate tax. Used to be completely tax-free.

EDIT: £243p/m, not p/w

Edited by matroskin

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth :lol:

I get you, but I have met cool people and enjoyed some time at work in spite of being there rather than because. :)

All I am doing is highlighting how pathetic salaries are in this country. If someone is happy in their work then that's great but It still doesn't disguise the fact that salaries in 2011 are a total joke, yet most people like to think that they are getting somewhere if they get a promotion.

A "promotion" simply makes it easier to get more money elsewhere. You might get more money, you might not. But you only get more money when you get more money.

I disagree - £1,100 a month is alot if you consider all fixed costs being equal (disregarding welfare payments).

Let's say both men have a base line expenditure of £800per month for rent, utilities, transport and food.

The first man on £20k has a disposable income of £500 while the second man has more than x3 that of the first.

But it's still piss poor. This is what everyone forgets when they talk about paid employment in 2011.

£1,100 imo isn't worth working harder for as it's pitiful. 5k more a month might get people interested, but these kind of pay increases are only for bankers.

Wage in the UK are quite good.

Just compare it to weight if grain or quantity of energy you could buy

The problem in the UK is the cost of living is artificially so high that your 30.000 salary buys you very little

It's the reason 'poor' countries often have a similar or better quality of life

I've said this often but one of my uncles is a security guard and his wife a cleaner & live in a second word country. They live in a 150sq meter house with no mortgage.

They eat well (organic foods largely from local producers)

Both their kids are in private school

They have savings

They get on with their family & friends who visit each other

How many in the UK have this?

A cleaner & a security guard can live like this as they don't have the majority of their income sucked away by parasites

Unfortunately the bankers have got their claws into that country and its becoming more like western Europe.

Er, hang on a minute.

£1,300 pays the rent and bills and that's it - nothing left over to spend on yourself.

£2,400 pays the bills and leaves you with £1,100 to spend on beer, cars or whatever you fancy.

It's a huge difference.

And who's to say the £20k job is any less stressful? More likely it means yet another layer of a***holes above you.

Er, hang on a minute.

£1,300 pays the rent and bills and that's it - nothing left over to spend on yourself.

£2,400 pays the bills and leaves you with £1,100 to spend on beer, cars or whatever you fancy.

It's a huge difference.

And who's to say the £20k job is any less stressful? More likely it means yet another layer of a***holes above you.

Maybe I'm just a bit mad, but £1,100 is hardly worth getting excited about, especially if that's you in the top 5% of earners. Yes you may have a better car and a newer iphone, but that doesn't make you wealthy.

Whether on 16k or 40k, we're just another worker, as everyone in paid employment is. Some get a few hundred more than others, but everyone is in the same boat. Poor.

Edited by Wait & See

:blink:

are you in London?

Thats the only way I can understand living costs that high!

As a single person earning slightly less than the 'average wage' I manage to rent a decent flat, run a car, go on at least one foreign holiday a year, (as well as uk trips away), buy new clothes, go out drinking, eat out probably once a week, and generally live a decent life! Fair enough, I don't drive a top of the range car, don't buy designer clothes, and my holidays can only be described as budget, but still..

My rent and bills comes to about 700 and food/fuel about 250. Thats less than 1k subsistence and some left to spend/save as I please

I would feel rich having 3k a month!

(not that I disagree with any of the other comments on here - a few years ago a wage like mine would've been considered very good, now its just about enough for a single person to live an average life in a rented flat!)