House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Home Gyms

Has anyone owned a home gym? Are they worth the money or just a gimmick?

I've always stuck with free weights mainly due to space limitations, and they've served me well. But to light heavier weights with better form, a gym is probably necessary. I always hated public gyms and their silly membership prices, so it would have to be a home set up.

So what's the score..... are they any better than free weights? Is there anything specific on them I should be looking for?

I've always stuck with free weights mainly due to space limitations, and they've served me well. But to light heavier weights with better form, a gym is probably necessary. I always hated public gyms and their silly membership prices, so it would have to be a home set up.

So what's the score..... are they any better than free weights? Is there anything specific on them I should be looking for?

From memory of my days training, there is not a lot you can do with machines that you can't do with free weights. I used to prefer free weights as it strengthened all the supporting muscles as well as the ones you were specifically targeting. I think I only ever used machines for triceps, back and legs.

My personal view is that you spend a lot of money on a crappy version of something you hardly used in the gym anyway.

But I'm sure others will disagree..

Edit to add: One thing I forgot is that when I did free weights I always had someone to spot me. If you don't have that and you're planning to do something heavy, machines might be safer.

I was thinking along the lines of heavier weights yes. I could do the same with dumbells, but as you point it there is a safety issue. And getting very heavy dumbells in initial position can be awkward.

Everything I've used with a cable has been completely rubbish. Wouldn't mind trying bowflex. I think a decent cross trainer for HIIT, press ups, crunches, a bench and some dumbbells would be better than one of those home gym things.

If you had a big house with a spare room, then you could just buy all the machines you want, what are you waiting for?

Emigration.

What is the one that Chuck Norris is always selling ? Where it uses your own weight and different elevations to work out. Looks decent. Although never having used or seen one it could be utter shite.

Sorry - not much help. :D

They end up being expensive clothes hangers! Stick to free weights and try to find a cheap gym.

What is the one that Chuck Norris is always selling ? Where it uses your own weight and different elevations to work out. Looks decent. Although never having used or seen one it could be utter shite.

Sorry - not much help. :D

XL Total Gym, I had one for a while it was reasonable but a big lump so storing was nothing like as easy as it made out. When I had it I lived in a massive house, it would be in the way where I live now.

I also think it was rather limited in the range of things you could do with it.

Total gym thats the one. Does seem that most people who get these things end up with them living in the garage.

Total gym thats the one. Does seem that most people who get these things end up with them living in the garage.

Yes which probably means yesterday was the last day to use it until the end of April next year.

BRR

Have you ever been to a body pump class? I find it at least equally good at maintaining decent strength and bulk and additionally gaining endurance and real world usability. It uses lower weights and lots of differently timed reps so you do get quite a workout. For example the bench press weight I use is roughly 40% of my lifetime best, but the class demands so many reps I struggle at the end and am always panting. The lower weights mean more safety and less risk of a sports injury.

I event looked for a dvd or book, but it wouldn't be difficult to build your own routine. Ditto kettle balls etc. These things do away with the need for an expensive clothes horse.

Do you really need a home gym? What's the aim?

The routines from http://www.bodyrock.tv/, some P90x stuff, the 100 push-up and their related situp & pull up challenges all keep me in good shape without the need for loads of kit.

Edit: Agree about bodypump class, the view ain't too bad either.

I bought a home Gym when I was about 18, it was the crappy one with sand in the weights, first problem with those is they are not heavy enough. I also have the bench press, leg thingy and they are not heavy enough either - I think the max on the bar is around 80-90kg but I suppose you could buy decent weights and use the same bar.

After I sold my jet ski, I set it all back up in my garage and haven't used it since. I won't go to the gym either, because it's packed when I want to go and it is so boring. I did spend a fair amount of money buying a stepper, but that was crap too...!

A squat rack is a nice luxury. Other than that all you need is free weights, maybe a medicine ball. Check ou max work outs by a guy Japanese guy, very good.

Maybe what I really need then is a bench for bench pressing heavier weights. The feedback here on home gyms seems pretty negative. I thought maybe home gyms were better for form and lifting heavier stuff than your average dumbell.

I've got bored with my sensible all round workout. I just want to build a big chest and big shoulders :D

So that would do the job? I hadn't considered a rowing machine.

If I was going to spend any money on home gym equipment it would be a decent rowing machine. There are tons on eBay but they do tend to still be expensive for the decent ones.

You could equally get yourself one of these....

http://www.archers-review.com/bow-reviews/heritage-longbows-80-at-32-warbow

Not so great for the chest but will give you massive shoulders and excellent strength in the back. I don't regularly shoot 80# but I have been know to shoot 120# plus which really is an effort and there are only a handful of people really capable of shooting them with any decent accuracy* (me not being one of them)

* It's a combination of strength but more importantly technique, your average bodybuilder/strongman type wouldn't stand a chance.

I am admittedly a gym rat, and cannot currently train at home properly.

It's not I'd need much really.

When I have my own place (yeah, right) all the kit would be:

- Set of dumbbells - from 10 to 50kg (perhaps only 10-15-20-25-30-50)

- 1X Olympic barbell

- A set of weights (5-10-15-20) All together up to 140kg

- a bench (fold-up)

- a squat rack (which can be used for bench press too)

that's it.

I am admittedly a gym rat, and cannot currently train at home properly.

It's not I'd need much really.

When I have my own place (yeah, right) all the kit would be:

- Set of dumbbells - from 10 to 50kg (perhaps only 10-15-20-25-30-50)

- 1X Olympic barbell

- A set of weights (5-10-15-20) All together up to 140kg

- a bench (fold-up)

- a squat rack (which can be used for bench press too)

that's it.

I find pull ups an excellent composite exercise, particularly for the lats. How would you exercise them using that equipment?

I find pull ups an excellent composite exercise, particularly for the lats. How would you exercise them using that equipment?

I would build a squat rack which leans onto the wall with an upper section from where to do the pull ups. good point though. I should have clarified.