House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lacuna

Finding Private Lets

I'm trying to find private rented houses and apart from the odd house in the paper there is next to none. Is it all the BTL using agents that is the problem? Going back a few years it was dead easy to find half decent landlords with places to let, nowadays it is next to impossible. I've rented with agencies in the past and they are very variable, when I've rented direct from landlords I've had no problems.

Where do people look to find private lets other than their local paper and the odd ad in a shop- are there any websites?

I'm trying to find private rented houses and apart from the odd house in the paper there is next to none. Is it all the BTL using agents that is the problem? Going back a few years it was dead easy to find half decent landlords with places to let, nowadays it is next to impossible. I've rented with agencies in the past and they are very variable, when I've rented direct from landlords I've had no problems.

Where do people look to find private lets other than their local paper and the odd ad in a shop- are there any websites?

Just because a LL is using an agent to find a tenant doesn't mean that it's being managed through the agent.

Unless you live in a very specalist rental area, it's now next to impossible to find a rental except through an agent. Consequently all of the the private LLs have to use that method to advertise. Even lodging rooms, who historiacll wouldn't have touched an agent with a barge pole are now forced to do so.

LLs may stick a card up in the newsagent as well, but 99% of the time a tenant through an agent will come along first, so that is who gets it

My experience is you have no choice but to look at agency ads and vet the LL from there.

(I tried Gumtree and four out of four replies were scammers)

tim

Don't think gumtree is that bad, found the last 2 flats I've rented there - via the offered listings, not posting myself as wanting to rent. There haven't really been any significant problems with the landlords. There definitely are scams out there and some people I talked to were a bit suspicious though, but ultimately it just means you have to vet the potential landlord a bit. And on the plus side, rents tend to be a bit lower when renting privately (my last flat was also advertised at about 10% higher rent via an agent at the time).

And yes, not aware of any other places, renting privately isn't too popular in the UK for some reason.